Live from the stand - 2023

I’m back af if but changed places. I’m now on my lease about 20 miles from home. Hogs have been frequent visitors to my feeder in the woods, maybe I can throw a scare into them. image.jpg

I hunted on our lease this afternoon, things were pretty quiet until about an hour brfore dark. I saw two does, a nubbin, and a forky. They fed in my wheat and kept getting closer to me until I mouthed my best buck grunt and moved them off before they got in my lap. Wouldn’t you know it, the older doe still got downwind of me and blew her disgust of my stink about halfway to my truck. 😬

I couldn’t be live today, limited service on my son’s lease. My Elbon rye plot is looking great though. It shows to be a little yellow in pictures, but it’s as green as a gourd. I think I saw a total of ten deer today, including does and fawns. This place has excellent recruitment even though there are lots of coyotes. They must feed on the rabbits because they sure don’t get many fawns. It’s just the odd doe that doesn’t sport twins during hunting season. IMG_2325.jpegIMG_2324.jpeg

Well, I took a doe yesterday in that far right corner about a half hour before dark. She was the only doe I’ve seen here that didn’t have a fawn with her. The fawns are big enough to survive on their own, but I guess I’m getting soft in my old age. 😁

She was standing about where that red dot is, the sun was in my eyes, and I didn’t make the shot I wanted, but she only ran 60/70 yards. Anybody got a sunshade that will fit a Nikon 40 mm objective lens ?😁IMG_2326.jpeg

It’s that special day again - opening day of deer season in the Lowcountry of South Carolina. It’s hot, humid, the mosquitoes are eating me alive, the wind is all wrong, and I hear thunder in the distance. What a great day.
What parts you from in the low country?? I'm in Dorchester between Grover and Ridgeville,

Even at 150 that's a tough shot, with the angle descending, plus a small target I assume it's walking away from you, like you said yeah a 300 wm would do the job, my 300 messes my eye sight up and just literally rattles my brain and body,I don't shoot it anymore, if you can bench the rifle bipod whatever free hand I don't know at that angle and body position

Me too I just zoomed in on that whole pic I don't see the deer,
I was looking at some of your pics, is everybody starting to use AR platforms for deer hunting now??? Just curious, I have a H&K 91, stays in its case, not into high capacity weapons, not for deer,

I find myself grabbing an AR more than ever when headed to the deer woods. Guessing it’s just something different from growing up hunting with bolt action rifles? But if you tossed me into the unknown and had to kill to survive, give me my 1970 Marlin 336 30-30 with a box of Winchester 170 grain power points.

I find myself grabbing an AR more than ever when headed to the deer woods. Guessing it’s just something different from growing up hunting with bolt action rifles? But if you tossed me into the unknown and had to kill to survive, give me my 1970 Marlin 336 30-30 with a box of Winchester 170 grain power points.
Absolutely, I have a H&k 91 it stays in its case, 20 round box magazine, 762x 51, these weapons are designed for killing humans and nothing else, although they will kill deer and most anything else for that matter, I would take any of my bolt action rifles in the woods on any given day before a high capacity semi automatic rifle, why the AR platform weapons in the woods? Isn't any communist soliders deer in the woods, just saying

Back