Live from the stand 2021

Well guys, I have news. Yesterday we had a big storm roll through before and after daylight. Couldn’t hunt anyway because my son’s girlfriend was graduating and getting her masters at 10:00 am. I figured yesterday afternoon there would be lots of movement. Maybe somewhere, but not where I was. I almost turned the alarm off this morning but Sarge wanted to go pee and he always wins the whining contest. So…..I went ahead and took care of him, dressed and went to the stand out my back door, about 350/400 yards from the house.

I had four does in just at daylight, it being cloudy I had to use my Nikons to see them well. Two more does joined them about ten minutes later and a small buck was trailing them. I had determined pretty quickly that he wasn’t legal so I settled back to watch. He approached all those does and began to adopt the attitude y’all are all familiar with. Head down ears back, that bowed up almost sideways walk. I’m getting interested again now so I got behind my rifle just as the buck almost went out of sight on my left. All I could see was his rear end. Suddenly he began to back up and I could tell he was resisting something. I’m getting really interested now ! Directly, he backs completely into my view with a much bigger buck doing the honors. They’re not really fighting, just sparring. As soon as they broke, the does scattered and the bigger buck took out after them. No shot opportunity !

They all went into the woods and my hope for fresh venison went with them. Two does came out of the woods and back across my wheat and sure enough, the shooter was following. I’m on him now, safety off, finger barely touching the trigger, crosshairs on his shoulder. First mouth grunt and he pays no attention, second grunt is the same. I think they heard the third one in town, but so did he ! He stopped, I squeezed, he dropped on the spot. I watched him a couple minutes and then went and got my backhoe for the retrieve.

I don’t think I have any pics of this deer, maybe one from the spring, but I can’t be sure. One thing I am sure of though, you can’t win if you don’t enter !View attachment 23056View attachment 23057
Awesome hunt story. Congrats!!

Well guys, I have news. Yesterday we had a big storm roll through before and after daylight. Couldn’t hunt anyway because my son’s girlfriend was graduating and getting her masters at 10:00 am. I figured yesterday afternoon there would be lots of movement. Maybe somewhere, but not where I was. I almost turned the alarm off this morning but Sarge wanted to go pee and he always wins the whining contest. So…..I went ahead and took care of him, dressed and went to the stand out my back door, about 350/400 yards from the house.

I had four does in just at daylight, it being cloudy I had to use my Nikons to see them well. Two more does joined them about ten minutes later and a small buck was trailing them. I had determined pretty quickly that he wasn’t legal so I settled back to watch. He approached all those does and began to adopt the attitude y’all are all familiar with. Head down ears back, that bowed up almost sideways walk. I’m getting interested again now so I got behind my rifle just as the buck almost went out of sight on my left. All I could see was his rear end. Suddenly he began to back up and I could tell he was resisting something. I’m getting really interested now ! Directly, he backs completely into my view with a much bigger buck doing the honors. They’re not really fighting, just sparring. As soon as they broke, the does scattered and the bigger buck took out after them. No shot opportunity !

They all went into the woods and my hope for fresh venison went with them. Two does came out of the woods and back across my wheat and sure enough, the shooter was following. I’m on him now, safety off, finger barely touching the trigger, crosshairs on his shoulder. First mouth grunt and he pays no attention, second grunt is the same. I think they heard the third one in town, but so did he ! He stopped, I squeezed, he dropped on the spot. I watched him a couple minutes and then went and got my backhoe for the retrieve.

I don’t think I have any pics of this deer, maybe one from the spring, but I can’t be sure. One thing I am sure of though, you can’t win if you don’t enter !View attachment 23056View attachment 23057
Great hunt. Chalk this deer up for Sarge! The antlers look as wide as motorcycle handlebars. That’s an interesting story that follows true to pattern, my deer hunting experience is that deer must be related to rabbits, because when a big buck is chasing and disappears from sight, sit tight and get ready, he will very likely travel in a big circle and be coming back from the opposite direction.
P.S. Did you shoot him in the neck?

MM, Sarge is such a ham, he wants to be in every picture (just as long as there’s a deer in it too):D

He was quartered to me and I shot him in the base of his neck where it fades into shoulder. That’s actually a better shot than the broadside high shoulder shot. The result is the same, you break the spine and it’s down, but the bullet passed between the actual shoulders and ruined very little meat. That wasn’t by design just good luck !:)

MM, Sarge is such a ham, he wants to be in every picture (just as long as there’s a deer in it too):D

He was quartered to me and I shot him in the base of his neck where it fades into shoulder. That’s actually a better shot than the broadside high shoulder shot. The result is the same, you break the spine and it’s down, but the bullet passed between the actual shoulders and ruined very little meat. That wasn’t by design just good luck !:)
You are right, that's a good shot with a rifle at medium range. My son took that same shot this year on a nice buck, and it was down on the spot as well.
Sarge is such a ham, I'm surprised he doesn't wear dark sunglasses! What I was referring to, if Sarge hadn't got you out of bed early you would not even have been out hunting.

[QUOTE="Mennoniteman, post: 119603, member: 978"
Sarge is such a ham, I'm surprised he doesn't wear dark sunglasses! What I was referring to, if Sarge hadn't got you out of bed early you would not even have been out hunting.[/QUOTE]

You are probably right, I came pretty close to crawling back in bed, but we’ve had so few good days to hunt this fall I figured I better not skip one. Sarge got to snack on fresh deer heart for his wise decision to pee at that particular time !:D

I’m at it again this foggy morning. The fog keeps shifting, one minute I can almost see the end of my plot and the next I can’t. Binos don’t help, I thought I saw a coyote once but with the glasses I couldn’t see at all. 8B4D28AA-2BFB-412B-8C9E-4EB0E368F7DF.jpeg8B4D28AA-2BFB-412B-8C9E-4EB0E368F7DF.jpeg

Wife wants one more doe for the freezer. I'm gonna try with the bow again. She is sitting a food plot. Hopefully one of us gets one. We have till Wednesday morning.
7de977b31c29161c4ff484677d29a5b6.jpg

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Probably one that I should have let walk but I wasn't gonna be picky for the first one with a bow. Haven't had the shakes shooting a deer in a long time.
5f504aa59008c1f01f6a620a9eb1327f.jpg

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Awesome. Congrats on your first die kill. It’s addicting!! Couldn’t see where you hit him?? Maybe scared him to death lol. Hope many more to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

South Texas genetics amaze me big bone, small body size. My yearling does are as big as 4-5 yr old bucks. It does make them look really impressive on the hoof.

Back