2019 Live from the Stand

Negative. Only two grey fox

It will happen if they spend enough time out there...I normally check traps about 10:30 and the last 2 days I have had bucks walk in on me while I have been resetting traps or standing there looking at trail cam pics...

Finally got my first PA flintlock muzzleloader buck today after many years of trying.
58263cc4ecc3a906a0d4b2c17570844b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Congrats on the flintlock buck! Is there a story?
G
Last week I cleared a new 1 acre food plot in the middle of a bedding area on some land that I have in a good deer area, and since the area hadn't been hunted this year yet I figured that the shooting house there would be a great spot for the last day of PA flintlock season, even though there was nothing growing yet, and the area had just been disturbed by a track loader. About a half hour after daylight I saw a nice 8 point at about 80 yards heading my way on a trail leading into the plot, so I quickly got the window open and my .54 Lyman Great Plains on him, with the trigger set. However, my gun didn't didn't fire on the first attempt, and he was on to me, at full alert, and turned until he was almost facing me with his head somewhat down, ready to leave. I quickly cocked and pulled the trigger again, mostly not expecting the flintlock to fire. But there was a boom! and a big cloud of smoke, knocking him down, but he was right back up, and then down again, rolling and thrashing into the brush, where I could hear him moving about for quite a while. I didn't know it, but I had hit him in the head, right below the antler, knocking the antler off, and just glancing off of his skull, not even breaking bone. So, after waiting for a bit I sneaked through the new plot, up to the edge of the woods, and was able to see him at about 30 yards, laying with his head partly up, so I dispatched him with another shot to the vitals. So I stuck the right antler back in position for the photo.
Pennsylvania flintlock is a tough season to get a deer, and while I've shot a few does, I had never managed to get a buck, mostly because PA is a one buck per year state and I usually don't have a buck tag left, so this year I passed up a few borderline shooter bucks with this late season hunt in mind. I did have to think how nice this buck would have been next year, but I was not planning to be picky, any mature 8 point buck was going to be fair game for this primitive hunt.
b43cf6d4e6c8196293edcbaf60b812f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I failed to get a picture but another grandson put one on the ground this weekend....a big doe fattened on "triple cleaned whole corn". I have four grandsons who wanted to harvest a deer and three have been successful. The fourth is in North Carolina and probably will not get another try but 3/4 is not bad.
In past years we had been using a .223 and 7mm-08. Before season I purchased a Ruger M77 Hawkeye .243. Jack and I sighted it in a week or so before opening day. Four shots at deer by three different grandsons and four deer on the ground. Anybody got another one you want to sell me? They all love it.

I failed to get a picture but another grandson put one on the ground this weekend....a big doe fattened on "triple cleaned whole corn". I have four grandsons who wanted to harvest a deer and three have been successful. The fourth is in North Carolina and probably will not get another try but 3/4 is not bad.
In past years we had been using a .223 and 7mm-08. Before season I purchased a Ruger M77 Hawkeye .243. Jack and I sighted it in a week or so before opening day. Four shots at deer by three different grandsons and four deer on the ground. Anybody got another one you want to sell me? They all love it.
Congrats to all your grandsons and yes the .243 is a great deer caliber!

MM that is a great Buck, Congrats.

My Brother always saves a Doe Tag for the Flintlock Season. He has hunted it since we were boys and he built his Pennsylvania Long Rifle from a Kit he bought. He really loves it and actually has a disdain for the "other" Flintlock season where the modern guns are used.

I shoot a couple of rifles but one of my favs is a Ruger M77 All Weather Rifle in 243. I first tried Coreloks in it but I didn't like the lack of openings and blood trails, the bullet just seems to punch right through. Switched to a handload a guy from work gave me to try after I said I was done with it and what a difference that made. Bloodtrails looked like you used an old fashion water can and sprinkled blood all the way to the deer.

Closest I've found to those are the simple Winchester PSP Deer Loads. They have about the same amount of soft lead at the tip and expand nicely leaving a good trail.

After seeing how they did in my .243 I tried them in my 30.06 and the first Buck I shot with them dropped within sight traveling less than 30 yards. Cheap in price but do a great job.

I shoot a couple of rifles but one of my favs is a Ruger M77 All Weather Rifle in 243. I first tried Coreloks in it but I didn't like the lack of openings and blood trails, the bullet just seems to punch right through. Switched to a handload a guy from work gave me to try after I said I was done with it and what a difference that made. Bloodtrails looked like you used an old fashion water can and sprinkled blood all the way to the deer.

Closest I've found to those are the simple Winchester PSP Deer Loads. They have about the same amount of soft lead at the tip and expand nicely leaving a good trail.

After seeing how they did in my .243 I tried them in my 30.06 and the first Buck I shot with them dropped within sight traveling less than 30 yards. Cheap in price but do a great job.
Thanks for the input on good deer loads for your .243. I have both a 7mm08 and a .243 in M77 stainless (I purchased one of the first stainless M77 MKII rifles with the odd stock when they came out in 1991) and they have accounted for most of the deer killed by the various youth that I take hunting. I have shot everything from coyotes to bears with the .243 and if I was limited to owning one rifle it would probably be the .243.
I never tried the Winchesters but I'm in almost out of .243 ammo and need to stock up anyway, I'm going to try Winchester PSP for pattern on your recommendation.
upload_2020-1-27_7-16-18.jpeg

I’m happy for you Mennoniteman and have just read about your flintlock muzzleloader buck. He looks to be a great deer. Congratulations on what turned out to be a memorable hunting season for you.

I’m not technically from the stand here but as I sit here in an old Adirondack chair on the sun porch overlooking some of our best deer ground with bedded deer thirty - five yards away and other deer still checking the apple trees as they make their way past me, it seems as though I am on stand. Although our seasons were over in mid December, reading the story of your muzzleloader buck as you had pulled the hammer back for a second attempt, the excitement of your hunt could really be felt here right down to the flash in the pan, the thunder of a successful charge and smoke that likely followed. Needless to say;
Really, really enjoyed the story of your hunt.

Had a big Doe step out of the Fog into one of my lanes at 7:06 am. Was waiting for the Buck I just knew was following her but none ever showed.

Then about 15 minutes age this Spike walked out from behind me and followed the same lane the doe did.

Just need a bigger one than him. At least I know they are up and moving.

267439ec5f70402fff6dfe5d1e3a9bc7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rain all day today.

I kept mostly dry in my tripod stand/ blind.

15 minutes before dark a string of 4 Does came by and a single at the end of a shooting lane.

But no Bucks.

See what the morning brings then heading home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back