Live from the stand - 2023

Absolutely, I have a H&k 91 it stays in its case, 20 round box magazine, 762x 51, these weapons are designed for killing humans and nothing else, although they will kill deer and most anything else for that matter, I would take any of my bolt action rifles in the woods on any given day before a high capacity semi automatic rifle, why the AR platform weapons in the woods? Isn't any communist soliders deer in the woods, just saying
I have several ARs, but I don’t use them to hunt whitetails. For that purpose I’m always hunting with my APR custom in .280 Remington. It’s a fine choice for deer at medium ranges. Hogs, however, are a different matter entirely. When I’m hunting hogs I carry an AR15 in 6.8 SPC because they usually show up in groups and I shoot as many of them as I can as fast as I can. Nothing that I own beats the AR for that chore. Both of my 6.8s are very accurate with Federal Fusion ammo and it delivers. The biggest hog I’ve ever killed was 270 lb. and one high shoulder shot put him in the dirt. I then sent another to his heart because as my buddy says, “if he’s worth one shot, he’s worth two”😁

MM, nice buck my friend, congrats !

I have several ARs, but I don’t use them to hunt whitetails. For that purpose I’m always hunting with my APR custom in .280 Remington. It’s a fine choice for deer at medium ranges. Hogs, however, are a different matter entirely. When I’m hunting hogs I carry an AR15 in 6.8 SPC because they usually show up in groups and I shoot as many of them as I can as fast as I can. Nothing that I own beats the AR for that chore. Both of my 6.8s are very accurate with Federal Fusion ammo and it delivers. The biggest hog I’ve ever killed was 270 lb. and one high shoulder shot put him in the dirt. I then sent another to his heart because as my buddy says, “if he’s worth one shot, he’s worth two”😁

MM, nice buck my friend, congrats !
Yeah man!!! Guess I didn't really ponder on it in that view, I'm with you on that, makes perfectly good common sense, I shot one big ole doe 2 Thanksgivings ago, and there were 6 of them, she weighed a ton, 305 never do that again, lol thank you for you response

Yeah man!!! Guess I didn't really ponder on it in that view, I'm with you on that, makes perfectly good common sense, I shot one big ole doe 2 Thanksgivings ago, and there were 6 of them, she weighed a ton, 305 never do that again, lol thank you for you response
A 305 lb. doe ? That’s lots of hamburger there ! I wish our deer were that big, although I’d likely have to get help just to load one.

I was live at 5:00 this morning boys, got up early enough to slip into town for a drive-thru of coffee and a bacon and egg taco. Still got in my stand 45 minutes before I could see anything. About 7:45 as I was contemplating the utter failure of my food plot a pretty three year old walked out of the woods. I had this buck on camera many times this summer on my blocks and at my protein feeder. We are a one buck county unless you want to shoot a spike (I don’t) so I let him slide. That may be foolish on an 80 acre place but if he escapes the fools next door he’ll be much better next year. Maybe !IMG_2343.jpeg

Nice, I got one a 8 pointer September 22 still in velvet I can't wait to get my old phone booted back up about 2 months maybe a lil bit less, I took this dude to the store in my Tahoe,at lunch my phone was on the console above the cassette player charging when we got back to the job I didn't pay any attention, well when I got in it at 5 I noticed it ,it was gone oh my God I felt like I just got run over by a M1 Ashrams heavy tank, I knew where I left it,and this person was the only one EVER?!!!!!!! I took to lunch, soooo I had to go to ATT, get them to kill my phone, and I don't know how to retrieve all that stuff pics of deer, pics litters and litters of German shepherd puppies, all my rifles, every thing was stored in that phone I looked in every pii of heavy equipment I was in that day, no phone and my locater was off, oh I was livid but mysteriously, it showed up in the water truck, hmmm that damn truck hasn't been started in 6 months, so any way got to get money together to get a new number I it and re activate it, I live by myself, and it's a nightmare at times making ends meet, 225 lbs of dog food every 3 weeks, I have way to much overhead

I'm saying with all the bad things that go on around us that is as hunting people that do it for the sport and the meat j, out society around us think pi with guns of any kind are lunatics and we are out to do harm, which we are not that's what that part is about the other you or anybody else might interpret the story completely different than somebody else, I know my dog is sable, you might see her as grey or silver, that's y beauty of reading, and not watching I TV all the time

All my experiences on the woods countless hours of prep even with coyotes I spend all kinds of time to shoot them across a field I just have some truly story book type times hunting, and being ok m the woods the right to beat our very hunting rifles come from our heritage, those people fought for freedom and that's part of our heritage

Deer/pig hunt
Point Coupee parish, LA
57 degrees, cloudy with 4 mph NW wind ( perfect for this spot)
Abandoned pecan orchard with clover, Bahia, and Johnson grass
(No bait pile but wish there was)
Weatherby Vanguard 2 topped with a Nikon 4x14x44mm and loaded with Federal 150 gr soft points.

Sitting on a turkey chair under a pecan tree watching the edge of hardwoods (couple of rubs right inside the timber). Landowner said shoot a mature doe or 16” beamed buck and as many pigs as I can, lucky me. All I need now is a volunteer to show, good luck to all out this morning. IMG_2509.jpeg

Deer/pig hunt
Point Coupee parish, LA
57 degrees, cloudy with 4 mph NW wind ( perfect for this spot)
Abandoned pecan orchard with clover, Bahia, and Johnson grass
(No bait pile but wish there was)
Weatherby Vanguard 2 topped with a Nikon 4x14x44mm and loaded with Federal 150 gr soft points.

Sitting on a turkey chair under a pecan tree watching the edge of hardwoods (couple of rubs right inside the timber). Landowner said shoot a mature doe or 16” beamed buck and as many pigs as I can, lucky me. All I need now is a volunteer to show, good luck to all out this morning. View attachment 26876
Looks like a productive area nice shooting lane for you, good luck!!!

Yeah, easy shot if they show, only about 75 yards to the timberline.
That will work, I should be after deer, but I got to get my dog kennels cleaned up, between work and hunting, and this time change, fell behind on my kennels, good luck

Well, I was in the stand this morning, but it weren’t very lively ! My first ever sit on this plot that the deer were a no show. In other news, my Elbon rye looks great ! As you can see, they do come, just not this morning……..IMG_0007.jpeg

Last edited:
Back