Live from the stand 2021

cutman

Administrator
Staff member
Deer season is here in SC. It’s hot and muggy. The thermacell is on.

I started out overlooking a 3 acre food plot but the predicted SE wind was actually coming from the W. I decided to move to a plot in the woods that has the remnants of white clover and chicory and a corn pile. The 8 pointer I’m after shed his velvet in the last couple of days. I found a scrape this morning.

I had forgotten about that early August opening season for South Carolina. Used to visit Myrtle Beach about third week of July every year and always thought "Gee this is hot weather for deer hunting"

Well Cut, I’ll be hunting vicariously through you and others until October, so good luck !

WOW! Way to go! Man that’s early, I am not even remotely thinking about actually hunting yet!

Thanks, y’all. He’s not the biggest I’ve killed but he was the one I was after. Got a pregnant wife and I’m headed to Alaska next month on a moose hunt, so it’s nice to have venison in the freezer. I’ll post pics of him in velvet later - he just shed his velvet in the last week.

746F2597-979A-45F0-8EF1-7C0D4DBE2939.jpeg

The week before I got him. He was in full velvet up until at least 8/11 - I won’t know the exact date til I pull the next batch of cards. He came out exactly where I didn’t expect but in exactly the right spot for the wind direction yesterday afternoon. My sent was all over the farm because I was on the tractor all day, so I think that messed him up.

View attachment 22341

The week before I got him. He was in full velvet up until at least 8/11 - I won’t know the exact date til I pull the next batch of cards. He came out exactly where I didn’t expect but in exactly the right spot for the wind direction yesterday afternoon. My sent was all over the farm because I was on the tractor all day, so I think that messed him up.

That trail cam picture does him more justice then the ground picture! What an awesome deer!!!

Congrats Cut ! Nice looking buck, it would have been nice if both brows were as long as the left one. Good luck on your moose hunt !

Where in AK are ya headed? Have some buddies in Cooper Landing, visited last summer and fished the Kenai and it was unreal. AK is amazing, and you’ll love it if you haven’t been.

Where in AK are ya headed? Have some buddies in Cooper Landing, visited last summer and fished the Kenai and it was unreal. AK is amazing, and you’ll love it if you haven’t been.

Fly into Fairbanks, drive 3 hours North, then fly into camp for a 10 day hunt. Can add a grizzly bear to the hunt by buying a $1000 tag, but I’m not sure I want to shoot a bear.

I’m looking forward to solitude and rest in the wilderness after 3 years of 6 day work weeks. The hunt is a bonus.

Fly into Fairbanks, drive 3 hours North, then fly into camp for a 10 day hunt. Can add a grizzly bear to the hunt by buying a $1000 tag, but I’m not sure I want to shoot a bear.

I’m looking forward to solitude and rest in the wilderness after 3 years of 6 day work weeks. The hunt is a bonus.

Horse based hunt? Or do you just hike out of camp each day?

My father and I are heading to Alaska the end of October for Mountain goat and Sitka deer.

Horse based hunt? Or do you just hike out of camp each day?

My father and I are heading to Alaska the end of October for Mountain goat and Sitka deer.

We will be based around a big lake and do a spot and stalk hunt. There is another lake about a mile away from bass camp that we will also keep an eye on. If I get a moose, grizzly might show up to the gut pile.

Back