Live from the stand 2017

Wind is horrible for most of our stands. Put my Dad in a field that has favorable winds. I'm sitting in a finger of timber between two clear cuts.
35d87286a43b6ade9392090122beedf7.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Broke out the climber tonight, sweating like a race horse. Been awhile since using one.
995b8ea7539fe44f71767b1e0fab039f.jpg
212ecd35ae7e85fe1e2550c5c63efed1.jpg
c9fccf4e43d80b123db9bc8ec0de991a.jpg
0dadb3a8ccdbe667d70af14c5e7b1570.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Saw a group of 6 does tonight, but the oldest one puzzled me. She was pacing back and forth (about 40 yards) and the others would follow her around. She kept chasing the other does around and pawing at them. As far as I could tell there was no buck around. Is this some kind of rutting activity? Anyone else seen something like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

9pt at last light. ..not quite what some posted up but I'm glad to have him.
bb61d2b5ae196a660dfa0fc2cc1cf95b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Great job. For someone saying it was slow you sure did good. That Svetty climber must’ve done the trick. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it done yesterday 8 am. This has been a very quiet year in my area.
61a52111fb00dc0ef24bca7daf6eeaa9.jpg
4997ea0bb7b96c00944da38588bd8b66.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Congrats Snow. You made my day with the trunk loaded deer. Done that many a time. Or thrown them on top of a Jeep. Doubt could do that anymore. Congrats

Congrats Snow. You made my day with the trunk loaded deer. Done that many a time. Or thrown them on top of a Jeep. Doubt could do that anymore. Congrats

Haha I know. I have a truck, but I seem to get lucky when I drive the Saturn a.k.a. saturminator. I hate driving the truck in the dark this time of the year, with all the deer getting hit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm enjoying the hunting reports on this thread. Here is mine for the last few days; it's been slow here with just a few close call shooter buck encounters. I'm certain it is about to bust wide open any day now. Had a marginal eight walk by closer than fifteen feet with me sitting in a Coleman chair leaning against a pine tree the other evening. Never even looked my way. There are better stands than that here but the wind was just screaming for me to sit there behind the lower barn so I did. Also have seen many lesser bucks out and about. My son had a shooter eight give him iffy shots on two different days, he didn't take them( 2 1/2 and up are shooters here). Thinking things were heating up, I sat inside the timber on the ground yesterday from dawn to two pm(my favorite way to hunt since we don't still-hunt anymore except to and from stands). Seventeen does walked by with some groups within feet and none of them made me so that was a good thing; however not one buck, not even a spike was following any of them. One of "our" top shooters went down yesterday to a neighbor and friend--a good hunter. This was his first ever older buck taken and he has passed all bucks he has seen for three years now. Glad he finally connected.

My friend Skip hunting from the Redneck yesterday evening in the bean field watched an eleven point monster four hundred yards out. Skip can shoot well out to 300 yards but 400 is too much for the gun he carries so he passed. The 11 pt. buck was feeding with the does and a spike and seemingly paying no attention to either. A same size buck the night before in the apples bordering the bean field gave Wife Anne a gimme 40 yard standing rear end shot which she passed. So some action in three days but no bullets fired yet by us.

Today the wind is howling this way and that and only two of us are out hunting and I'm not one of them. Congratulations to everyone that has shot true so far. It sounds like Oklahoma maybe has an earlier rut than northern New York. Hunting these past three days has been "slow" compared to Oklahoma reports on this thread but it sure beats the old days of seeing one deer a week hunting dawn to dark in the back woods of Stacyville, Maine. The first few days of November are normally slow here mature buck wise but sometimes I forget and hunt anyway. At least we have behaved (hunted very low impact) and have not been too intrusive yet. One last thing-Doe behavior was odd last evening around 5 pm, an hour and 1/4 before dark. Two of us in two different fields one a bean field and the other a clover field saw the does bedded down right in the middle of the fields.

Last edited:
Wind has switched and we have went from 84 degrees to the low 60's and falling in the past hour. I left my grandsons birthday party that is about 200 yards from me at our house and am sitting out south plot hoping a doe brings Mr. Big in...perfect wind...

Back