Live from the stand 2017

...the hammer won't cock...can't even moved it 1/8th", what the heck...break the gun open, do a quick visual, close it back up hoping the 10 yard buck doesn't bust me. Still won't cock!!!! Break it open 3 or 4 times as the buck is getting further away and headed to the same place the other 8 point went off the hollow....NO! Felt completely helpless and could not for the life of me figure out why I couldn't get the hammer back...it felt spongy as if something soft was blocking it and I figured it must be an old used primer that didn't come out at some point in the past and fell into the action. By now the deer is 75 yards and just getting ready to bail over the side when I grabbed the hammer and gave it all I could and whatever was blocking it broke loose and the trigger locked into place. .
Johnny, the only negative thing I could ever say about my Encore is I have to slam it shut in order to get the hammer to pull back. If I shut it easy, I get the same thing you describe above. I hate doing it but it's something that I have to. Because of this, I always try the hammer before I ever get in the stand because slamming a gun closed with a buck in range won't end good. Let me know if you figure out the cause as maybe I have the same issue.

Live from th stand high atop a mountain. Just getting light enough to shoot as it is overcast. Heard a high power rifle at 6:44 am...

Apparently I set up in the turkey roost...look closely and you can see a nice gobbler...well within bow range of me...

97c77f5594b18a020baab20040fc3ffb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny, the only negative thing I could ever say about my Encore is I have to slam it shut in order to get the hammer to pull back. If I shut it easy, I get the same thing you describe above. I hate doing it but it's something that I have to. Because of this, I always try the hammer before I ever get in the stand because slamming a gun closed with a buck in range won't end good. Let me know if you figure out the cause as maybe I have the same issue.

That's interesting Gator. I got the gun a year ago from a friend of mine and this is the first year I have killed a deer with it...it did make short work of a coyote last fall and I had no issues when I shot at the Saturday morning buck. I opened and closed it softly as the deer was very close...

Wow!. Are you guys going to start your own show soon ??

It would have to be a comedy as I can screw up a sure thing on most occasions and my wife is one of those people who as has been mentioned must give off a scent that attracts deer. She shot that buck her very first sit of the year and it walked in on the trail we walked in on and was directly down wind...

Doe and yearling at mock scrape. 4 point buck was following them.

94f3381ed9cf297b1b38b53633b149ca.jpg

Love it....LOVE IT. Nice deer. Better story!
This ^^^
It would have to be a comedy as I can screw up a sure thing on most occasions and my wife is one of those people who as has been mentioned must give off a scent that attracts deer. She shot that buck her very first sit of the year and it walked in on the trail we walked in on and was directly down wind...

"my wife is one of those people who as has been mentioned must give off a scent that attracts deer"
Ask Mrs Kubota if she can bottle that for me please... I can pay :D

Back on point stand I took my ML buck out of last Sunday. SE wind 12-20 mph right now. 58 humid degrees that is going to be 80's later today. Been bow shooting light for about 40 minutes. No deer seen yet...

Last edited:
BFD8D73C-AA8F-446D-8C4D-08435285B77A.jpeg I’m in my home bow blind this warm, muggy morning. Started not to even hunt, but WTH, maybe I’ll kill a pig. My first and only customer was a yearling buck. So close I could spit on him.

Small buck came by about an hour ago., just slowly working his way through. I thought there'd be some pre rut activity going on today but they must be staying over in the open state forest land.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No deer as of yet this evening but just had some horse riders come through. I yelled to try get them to stop and tell them they were trespassing but they couldn't hear me (or they pretended like they couldnt). I'm sure this evening is a bust now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hunted back ridge I save for nov. Rattled in thick racked 11 at 10:00. Couldn’t get clear shot and he was ansey looking for a fight. Warmed to 75 left early afternoon. Make climb to nosebleed stand in morning to sit that ridge. I’ve been close but just can’t close the deal. Need some nasty weather. It’s summertime.

Hunted back ridge I save for nov. Rattled in thick racked 11 at 10:00. Couldn’t get clear shot and he was ansey looking for a fight. Warmed to 75 left early afternoon. Make climb to nosebleed stand in morning to sit that ridge. I’ve been close but just can’t close the deal. Need some nasty weather. It’s summertime.

At least you got a whiff of one, I still haven't seen a decent buck. Forecasted to be hot here for the next few days as well. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

At least you got a whiff of one, I still haven't seen a decent buck. Forecasted to be hot here for the next few days as well. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Been lucky as this is third nice buck I've been on in just a few hunts. Not usually that lucky. Acorns have them scattered like crazy. Not checking trail cams this year during season and each buck is a surprise. Have kinda liked it. Weak front comes thru tomorrow with west winds so hopefully they are running my east-west ridge.

Back