Live from the Stand 2022

To catch up, I only hunted until 11:30 because I had a Dr. appointment this afternoon. About an hour after daylight the neighbors’ dogs made an appearance, tongues hanging out like they had been chasing. They came out of the woods exactly where the buck walked into the woods and I’m wondering if they busted him out of his bed. I wanted to put the fear of God into them so I laid into them with my 9mm, not to hit them, but to scare them. I figured my hunt was ruined anyway and it has been my experience that gunshots don’t bother deer much unless you’re shooting among them or very close. It bothered the dogs though, they lit a shuck for home ! Here are the culprits caught on my game cam about a month ago, and that’s not all the pics. They’ve been regular visitors all over our lease.128604E4-3387-4663-8AFB-8024359E9478.jpeg

C9DDDF7C-11AF-4F6C-A78A-10A6641CA943.jpeg I’m back at it this morning, been here since 6:15 or so. Cloudy and 68* right now, poor deer hunting weather. Hoping they would move this morning as we have rain in the forecast but nothing but a young Fox squirrel so far. On my little wheat plot on a pipeline. There’s a trail that crosses it about half way up but I’ll have to be quick unless he stops for a bite or two.

Edit; this story is true, but the names have been changed to protect the ignorant…….o_O

C9DDDF7C-11AF-4F6C-A78A-10A6641CA943.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m barely alive from the living room today guys. My wife got sick day before yesterday and yesterday afternoon it hit me. Feel like crap, dry cough, and blowing snot everywhere ! Between my wife and I we are running through the tissues big time. Y’all buy a little Kimberley-Clark stock, I think it’s headed up !:D

. My son and wife just finished up with Influenza. Bad stuff. Somehow I managed to escape it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn’t do live today, too busy watching deer. It rained off and on all day yesterday and I figured a cold N wind would get them out in daylight today and it did. I saw more deer today than I have in a long while, especially for East Texas. One little buck not long after daylight, a five deer family group around 8:30, another doe and fawn about a half hour later, then three young bucks after that. It slowed down enough that I slipped out at 11:00 to let Sarge out to pee, ran to town (3 miles), got a burger and was back in the blind by 2:00 pm. Not long after getting in the blind One of the older does and her fawn came hauling down the road that goes behind and beside my blind, turned off in the brush and disappeared. I thought it a little odd and never did see what made them run. A few minutes later I see another doe come down the road about halfway to me and stop, acting nervously, stomping and blowing while looking off in the brush. She finally had enough and went back the way she came. This is the road she was in. FA7FB511-F0D7-4FF1-97CE-BABAF69E54F1.jpeg 56E77696-7150-4F20-867C-841CFCB3E40A.jpeg
A little later something caught my eye right in front of me about 40 yards away and these two half grown bobcats made an appearance. So that’s what had her worrying ! I had three does and two button bucks feeding in my wheat for about an hour and a buck that would probably have shot had it not gotten so dark. I could see him pretty well with my Nikons but not through the scope with my boogered up right eye. Oh well, I’ll try again tomorrow !508D98F7-040D-4E2C-BBA7-B51F27FF6F50.jpeg

Back behind the house again this morning. I was visited by momma bobcat and a big kitten just after daylight. Got a yearling buck in the far end of my plot now. It’s 34*F and not as frosty as it was yesterday. Anticipation is half of hunting for me !

Edit: Didn’t see nearly as many deer this morning. Cloudy and gloomy, still cold. Saw a doe and twins after the little buck and gave it up about 10:30 after it started sleeting. Think I’ll head to the lease tomorrow and have a change of scenery.

Last edited:
Earlier today

87846d1d53d0c61e78bb5f4697a93125.jpg

c7775700186ec189ea479daf9e3def1f.jpg

I haven’t posted much this season because life has been busy and also because I’ve lost the farm I grew up with. My family sold it in 2013, but I stayed on as caretaker. Current owner decided to sell because he and his partners never used the property. New owners take over January 14. Devastating, to say the least, but life goes on.

I shot this buck last night. Weird to think he is probably the last buck I’ll ever shoot there. I hope to shoot a few does before the season ends on Jan 1.

EBE390BE-F259-45D7-8837-F93B69E3A1F6.jpeg 004F4D71-B9D0-4FCF-9C03-AEEED90F9BD3.jpeg 014B3436-4600-48E1-948B-4C5CE9DA3E83.jpeg

Last edited:
I haven’t posted much this season because life has been busy and also because I’ve lost the farm I group up with. My family sold it in 2013, but I stayed on as caretaker. Current owner decided to sell because he and his partners never used the property. New owners take over January 14. Devastating, to say the least, but life goes on.

I shot this buck last night. Weird to think he is probably the last buck I’ll ever shoot there. I hope to shoot a few does before the season ends on Jan 1.

View attachment 24758 View attachment 24759 View attachment 24760

That's got to hurt cutman, and I hate hearing it. However, I do congratulate you on the nice buck.

Sorry Cutman. I’m sure it cuts deep with such a long history. Nice closing buck.

Pretty nice buck for a last hurrah. I feel your pain Cut, I thought long and hard before I sold the other place I had, lots of good memories for only owning about ten years.

I haven’t posted much this season because life has been busy and also because I’ve lost the farm I grew up with. My family sold it in 2013, but I stayed on as caretaker. Current owner decided to sell because he and his partners never used the property. New owners take over January 14. Devastating, to say the least, but life goes on.

Is this the property with all the marshes you always post? End of an era:(

I went through something similar a couple years ago. My wife got my final buck from there mounted for me as a surprise. I was bitter at first, but now I look at that mount and go through many fond memories. Took a couple years, but I am ready to get back at it. Best of luck to you. It will all come back around.

That buck is a trophy and a fitting finale and a nice ending to a bittersweet day. Hopefully you can find another hunting spot half as nice as that one and feel at home there.
I was faced with a similar situation years ago, which opened my eyes to the knowledge that, I don't need a perfect hunting place to make memories at, but I need to be in control, and most importantly, the deed needs to be in my name only.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Great buck! That’s a real bummer about the property.

That's a nice Buck.

Be thankful you were able to use it for a long as you were. My Family Farm is now in the hands of my Brother and while I have an Open Invite to hunt there, the fact that it is over 1000 miles away keeps me from doing so.

I’ve been sitting over my wheat since well before daylight. It rained about three inches last night and early this morning. Maybe they will come out and play. I have until Sunday night to get it done unless I want to break out the muzzle loader. E6C6ACE0-DF4E-48D9-9C04-80A25CABC315.jpeg11611FA1-6DB1-465C-B838-D85799E43F95.jpeg

Back