Live from the Stand 2018

Looks like I'm going to be spending some time in a tree. Walked into the office this morning for my first day back from vacation. Seems some things have changed while I was gone. Like my job. Guess they came to the decision it could run without me while I was away. Told me I was no longer needed. I'm going to hop on a tractor and see the world from a different point of view

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Sorry to hear my man but keep your head up! The Lord has a plan for us all and things have a way of working themselves out. Good luck to you!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

As I told you Native , that was a great deer and to do along side your son is just perfect. He makes prettier pictures than you thankgoodness. Congrats and good luck on your deer. I hunted last night but didn’t get on till 5. They were out in fields big time after our 60mph winds and snow Sat night. Had several 2yo bucks munching acorns under my tree but no shooters. Again congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck my friend and I hope you get one of those "Turdy Point Bucks" that are roaming in those mountains!

Native - What a great deer, congratulations to you and your son both. In the long run it's those memories that are the real trophy. Also, if you're looking to adopt I know a 41 year old that's interested. :)

Thanks so much, and best wishes on your hunting. I agree that the great memories top all the rest of it put together!

Looks like I'm going to be spending some time in a tree. Walked into the office this morning for my first day back from vacation. Seems some things have changed while I was gone. Like my job. Guess they came to the decision it could run without me while I was away. Told me I was no longer needed. I'm going to hop on a tractor and see the world from a different point of view

Ugh! Sorry to hear that.

Ugh! Sorry to hear that.
Me too. But I didn't leave without setting the place ablaze. My client who's business I handle just executed their 30 day walk away clause from my company asking them to be out within 30 days.

Well crap. Hope things work out for you.

Me too. But I didn't leave without setting the place ablaze. My client who's business I handle just executed their 30 day walk away clause from my company asking them to be out within 30 days.

Wishing you the best and hoping everything works out well for you.

I hate to hear that...at a previous job I had we always hated going on vacation because they would add duties to you by a vote and move you somewhere else in the building because you weren’t there to have a say in it...

I am going on vacation next week but I got the bad news my Boss is leaving in 2 weeks. Been a great year working for her and now it looks like I will have to train a new boss...lol

View attachment 13794 Native, that's a great buck that your son killed. Big bodied bruiser ! Must have been a great hunt for you to be with him at the time. You'll both have that memory for a long time.

I tried to be live this weekend but for some reason my phone kept disconnecting from the forum. Regardless, I had a good hunt. My intentions were to get some meat, so a nice doe was on the list, but every time I thought I was about to get my chance, a buck, or bucks, would come into my set and scatter the does. I finally connected on a doe Saturday afternoon, but I had a great time watching the deer. They have my wheat nibbled to the ground as it's the only food plot around and it's only 3/4 of an acre. This is timberland and food plots and pine trees aren't compatible o_O

I got to watch this corn hog for thirty minutes Saturday morning after he ran my does off. I looked him over from top to bottom, left and right, and upside down and I couldn't make him over 4.5 years old, so he gets a pass this year. I took this pic with my phone through one barrel of my binocular, so it isn't stellar.

PineSap, I just read your post. Sorry for you man, that stinks. I wish you luck whatever you pursue.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 0
Settled in for the afternoon. I'm sitting up on the only ridgetop on my entire property and this is probably going to be a muzzleloader only stand because it's a good way down into the bottom, but what the heck. One might try to slip in looking for some acorns up here. Funny thing is a little bit ago I saw two turkeys standing in the edge of the woods up by the cottage so it seems I may not even need to sit in a stand to get a shot. LOL
90b77c3d0d8252aa88965478c7e40bff.jpg
194292c1a6de05d859dd7529bfe11a6f.jpg

Had a small spike pass by about 10 minutes ago (first pic). Definitely a different buck from the one this morning as this one barely had any bone sticking out of his head and the one this morning had a definitive main beam growing that looked like it might have forked. Then as I was typing this he and another small buck came by running a small doe. Buck in far left and doe on far right in second pic.
b7acf6da5711ef27e579397b0746c5f6.jpg
1c20c3e5681e1105fff3339e0d1456c4.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! One of the most exciting, yet difficult sits I've had! For the last 40+ minutes I've had 6 deer within 10 yards of me. Two mama does and 4 fawns eating acorns all around me. They never spooked but one of the mamas got downwind of me at one point and knew something wasnt quite right, but she calmed down after a few. Bow in hand the entire time and I couldn't budge an inch. My wrist sling was starting to cut off the circulation!

Wow! One of the most exciting, yet difficult sits I've had! For the last 40+ minutes I've had 6 deer within 10 yards of me. Two mama does and 4 fawns eating acorns all around me. They never spooked but one of the mamas got downwind of me at one point and knew something wasnt quite right, but she calmed down after a few. Bow in hand the entire time and I couldn't budge an inch. My wrist sling was starting to cut off the circulation!

Love it. That is a fantastic and frustrating time. Just great to be in their world for a short time!

Storm took down the blind that was set here, so I’m making the best of it by setting up in the brush that surrounded the blind.

284941119422c21755b3ada6c2090a6e.jpg

905130bf220c4ba10bd5da8e1e8a64f5.jpg

3 Doe came into the front opening at 11:00 am. 2 adult and 1 yearling.

The last one was a big old doe. Dark hide. I was going to take her, but the knew the blind had changed right away.

Got to 50 yards but my comfortable range is 40 max. Lead Doe didn’t like the change and she lead them off.

Least I seen my first deer while hunting this new place!

Last night's sit was a productive one. Since losing my job Monday I've been ate up with vengeful thoughts. It's consumed my day and night. It had been raining all day so I decided a ground blind would be good. I had one tucked away next to a pond overlooking a brassica plot. Walking in a noticed a good deal of woody's were already on the pond.....that didn't make me smile. Actually thought about how this would be a great place to sink the bodies. Climbed into my blind. It started to rain again that made me angry. Listened to more wood ducks land and it made me think of a time when a member's kid shot them all up and left them floating in the pond....made me furious. So I'm sitting there ranging yardage thinking of how I'd like to use those people for targets, about how upset my wife is about the whole deal and the plans they ruined. At this point I'm fuming. Then I decide I was too mad to hunt and started collecting my things to leave. For the first time that day lightning popped followed by a roll of thunder that rattles your bones. Then the bottom dropped out, raining so hard I couldn't hear myself think in the blind. It was then I realized my unhealthy obsession with revenge has crept into what I hold most important in my life....my life. The life me and my wife have worked so hard to create. The life we chose when we left the city and moved to the country to raise our family and to make our home. The life I longed for when work wasn't going right but it didn't matter because I would be home shortly, see my wife and kids and all would be right. I allowed these people to travel the 70 miles and follow me into my woods and effect my life bubthinking of them. Then and there I turned it all over to God to handle. As soon as I set down and breathed. The rain let up and I found what we all find when we're out in His creation. With the ground being wet and a steady light rain I decided tracking wouldn't be fun. So I tucked the bow away and just enjoyed being safe, being free and just being downright blessed.
8b1fe6ba57cb5897e42628b40086deeb.jpg

Good for you Pinesap. We've all been there at some time and its hard to not hate and sulk over the enemy. You have accepted the peace much quicker than some of us are able to do at times. Great hunt story, felt like I was there with you. Good luck on everything.

I had a good sit last night for no arrows to be launched. Got settled in and turkeys back behind me just went into full frenzy mode. I knew some kind of predator had to be back there. Most flew up in trees, a couple flew over to the next ridge. 15 mins later a coyote comes strolling thru from that direction. I rolled a can call (b/c that has worked in the past) but he just crossed the creek and kept going. Not two mins later a shooter 8 or better came out from across the creek and headed my direction (avoiding the yote or coming to the can call I don't know). Needless to say, he came near but too thick to get a shot or even a good look at exactly what he was. Then the turkeys come roost about 50 yards behind me and proceed to make hellacious noise the rest of the evening. All that happened with 2 hours until sundown. Had one more 6pt walk by with about a 1/2 hour til sunset. Bucks are definitely starting to move good in Virginia.

I had a good sit last night for no arrows to be launched. Got settled in and turkeys back behind me just went into full frenzy mode. I knew some kind of predator had to be back there. Most flew up in trees, a couple flew over to the next ridge. 15 mins later a coyote comes strolling thru from that direction. I rolled a can call (b/c that has worked in the past) but he just crossed the creek and kept going. Not two mins later a shooter 8 or better came out from across the creek and headed my direction (avoiding the yote or coming to the can call I don't know). Needless to say, he came near but too thick to get a shot or even a good look at exactly what he was. Then the turkeys come roost about 50 yards behind me and proceed to make hellacious noise the rest of the evening. All that happened with 2 hours until sundown. Had one more 6pt walk by with about a 1/2 hour til sunset. Bucks are definitely starting to move good in Virginia.
Sounds like an eventful evening! I agree that the bucks are definitely becoming more active as roadside kills have increased dramatically in the last couple days.

Junky, the best revenge will be your success somewhere else in the future. I've been there and done that. Revenge ? There's no money in it, no success in it, and no peace in it. The only time revenge was ever sweet for me was when it was administered on the spot and in the moment, and I call that justice.

Your "adjusted outlook" will serve you much better, and I'm wishing you much good luck !

Sneaked down this evening thinking the monsoons has finished for the day. Got on stand and it began pouring. Leaves really late falling this year. Don’t really hunt this stand usually till nov but since bucks were already rubbing and scraping heavy hunted up the gut of the farm. Sits inside edge n mixed hardwood w clover brassica grain mix plot.
19 deer w 4 bucks. No shots.
cdc6eef2b588303aa2b3bb165b91b206.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back