Live from the Stand 2018

View attachment 13640

View attachment 13641

I’m on the board. I’ve watched this buck for at least 4 years, and he is a perfect example of how some antlers are just weird.

He came out onto the marsh at about 7:20 AM and I grunted him in. He was ready to fight. Couldn’t find him in the marsh grass so my wife drove 45 minutes to bring trusty Fido, and he found the deer in roughly 10 seconds.

176 lb at the processor.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

That's a nice one to take out of the herd. I get as much pleasure out of taking an older buck that's not ever gonna be a giant as I do a nice buck. The older I get, the more it's just about the preparation and the hunt as it is the actual kill. If we didn't eat so much venison, I might just watch them.

I spent opening day planting my last fall plot, mostly because it finally got dry enough, but partly because the wind was iffy for my favorite early season bow stand.

Congrats on your buck !

Glad the grunter is still treating you well! Its getting quite the track record working with you.

Its freaking amazing what a dog’s nose can do SO fast! Good dog! :)

Nice Deer. Some Racks are like you said, funny. Genetics or whatever some just always stay weird.

Made my first sit this evening. Sat in a spot behind the house I call the Honey Hole. White oak bottom with my stand perched on the side of a hill. Have a good shot out into my pasture as well. Had some does come out early. Completely ignored the feeder and munched on acorns starting to fall. About 10 minutes before dark had a nice 8pt come out. Deer we aged at 2 year old. He froze. Thought he pegged me. Noticed he was looking slightly to my left. Looked over my should and seen a deer I call Tembo at the top of the field edge looking down into the bottom. He was downwind. I'm not going to plug the product that I believe in. But I know it works. 40 yard shot. Went 20 yards. My first velvet deer
2ee2912d9278441eddf30601598f7260.jpg
cc14690cea7e4f6daccce011797fba57.jpg
d0823df78d31ae33bcabafd19368fe24.jpg
7db7d0ea1ebde8c6e724f1d1dcbe8b6a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mrs. Okie is in very poor health with some health issues that have popped up over the past 2 years so I am making my first sit about 200 yards from our house so I am close to her...78 degrees, swirling southerly wind of 12-15 mph and the only things moving here are a few crows, squirrels, and 2 wood duck hens...oh...and mosquitoes...why oh why did I leave my thermacell at the house?

Nice velvet buck there Pine ! All of our bucks are hard antlered and polished up by now. I haven't even been yet, these mid-80s temps just ain't my thing.....

Nice velvet buck there Pine ! All of our bucks are hard antlered and polished up by now. I haven't even been yet, these mid-80s temps just ain't my thing.....
I was shocked when I walked up on him. It was getting dark quick. I could tell it was a mature deer with good mass. I didn't even think it could be velvet. I am beyond happy. Since I'm normally a one buck only guy a year. The next 3 months is going to be fun!!!

I was shocked when I walked up on him. It was getting dark quick. I could tell it was a mature deer with good mass. I didn't even think it could be velvet. I am beyond happy. Since I'm normally a one buck only guy a year. The next 3 months is going to be fun!!!

Congratulations indeed . Great Ms. buck. And if you are dealing with the same weather as here in La. your out in 90' weather fighting hordes of mosquitoes. Good for you!

Had a great evening in the stand...mowed our yard and got done about 6 pm so I told the wife I wanted to spend a bit in the stand...when I walked away from our house there were 3 deer in our back yard...thought it might be good even though it was hot and very dry.

First deer out was a young 8 point...

43d2961e9ad091f4299bbb5e35eca13a.jpg

He was the first of 12 deer to come in before darkness came. Every single deer came to this waterhole as soon as they came to the plot. It has been very dry and this is the only water in over a mile...

b0f77864b081c88cf47085f614f2c6e6.jpg

68e4cf9c04cb29d4f066672745441067.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What to do, what to do? Windy.com says we have no wind, no gentle breeze. It’s like being in a sailboat stranded in the middle of the ocean! The first weekend of the 2018 archery season is nearly at the two minute warning. It’s 94 degrees here in the Chickahominy Swamp east and south or Richmond. The battle is on and I think the mosquitos have harvested more of me than I of them. There’s not a Thermocell to found anywhere! Bass Pro had five and until I got around to making a decision, they were gone! Need a refill? Walmart has dozens. Need a Thermacell? Forget it! I’ve never seen it so bad! There are clouds of mosquitos just looking for a transfusion! But, we are havin fun!

Bout the same down here. Been in the 90's all week. Our gun season opened friday which doesn't mean much as you can't find a buck out in daylight anywhere. As Farmer Dan mentioned the mosquitoes are a life threatening event, humidity is running about 100% and next to no breeze. I'll continue to 'scout' ...translation meaning ride around in truck with a c on till it cools off a bit.

What to do, what to do? Windy.com says we have no wind, no gentle breeze. It’s like being in a sailboat stranded in the middle of the ocean! The first weekend of the 2018 archery season is nearly at the two minute warning. It’s 94 degrees here in the Chickahominy Swamp east and south or Richmond. The battle is on and I think the mosquitos have harvested more of me than I of them. There’s not a Thermocell to found anywhere! Bass Pro had five and until I got around to making a decision, they were gone! Need a refill? Walmart has dozens. Need a Thermacell? Forget it! I’ve never seen it so bad! There are clouds of mosquitos just looking for a transfusion! But, we are havin fun!

X, it's called being prepared !:) I lost one (read: misplaced) a couple years ago and bought another, then lo and behold, I "found" the original. So....now I have two, and you ain't gonna catch me without. Got the "holster" on both with spare pads and fuel too. I may not kill anything, but the skeeters are gonna go hungry too.

X, it's called being prepared !:) I lost one (read: misplaced) a couple years ago and bought another, then lo and behold, I "found" the original. So....now I have two, and you ain't gonna catch me without. Got the "holster" on both with spare pads and fuel too. I may not kill anything, but the skeeters are gonna go hungry too.
I thought I was tough enough to withstand the onslaught! And have, stupidly, many times. Does this recent reaction mean
I’m gettin smart?

Live from the stand 2018.

Since all of my self imposed pressure is off for the season I decided to do the best thing. Take a kid hunting. Young man who's father is member of my deer club been chomping at the bit to get in the woods. His dad won't let him hunt without him. But when the guy works offshore for 3 weeks at a time. That could make a kid go crazy. I finally convinced him to let me take him. Got the camera and everything out trying to kill his first deer with a bow. Wish us luck
dfc9b026c9ad99fb5e2c2c4fc8f226b2.jpg
54138ae83890b38f69b13c0919498bd9.jpg

Back