Imox Mix

dogghr

You guys mix AMS and surfactant/crop oil when spraying Imox? First attempt using this herbicide as always used Cleth or Gly in past with those 2 additives.
Also, even tho I usually don't spray before fall crop rotation, if one does, have you guys seen residual affect Imox influencing the growth in T&M of brassica or grain/clover mixes?

You guys mix AMS and surfactant/crop oil when spraying Imox? First attempt using this herbicide as always used Cleth or Gly in past with those 2 additives.
Also, even tho I usually don't spray before fall crop rotation, if one does, have you guys seen residual affect Imox influencing the growth in T&M of brassica or grain/clover mixes?
I have Raptor (isn't that the same as Imox??) and unless the label say NOT to add anything, I always use AMS with almost every herbicide. It's a cheap insurance policy against minerals in the water that reduce effectiveness.
Was it Brushpile from the old forum that posted a lot of good info about gly not being effective due to water chemistry? The cure was to treat water with AMS before adding herbicide.

As far as residual effect goes... I can't say for sure but I have has some plantings that didn't do well after spraying Raptor. Was it from residual effects?? I don't know for sure. I'm sure soil composition and rainfall will have a bearing on residual. I gotta think that sandy soil and a lot of rain will have less residual than clay/loam and dry conditions.

I have Raptor (isn't that the same as Imox??) and unless the label say NOT to add anything, I always use AMS with almost every herbicide. It's a cheap insurance policy against minerals in the water that reduce effectiveness.
Was it Brushpile from the old forum that posted a lot of good info about gly not being effective due to water chemistry? The cure was to treat water with AMS before adding herbicide.

As far as residual effect goes... I can't say for sure but I have has some plantings that didn't do well after spraying Raptor. Was it from residual effects?? I don't know for sure. I'm sure soil composition and rainfall will have a bearing on residual. I gotta think that sandy soil and a lot of rain will have less residual than clay/loam and dry conditions.
Well it is same as Raptor supposedly but half the price. I didn't use AMS for years but somehow began adding as an adjunct based on recommendations on old forum. Used to only add crop oil and seemed to work fine.
The residual comment was for my interest as it will not affect my rotation crops. Thanks.

Reactions: Tap
I am pretty sure the raptor label says to add AMS and surfactant. I know I always have. Its still expensive enough that I prefer the extra insurance.

I am pretty sure the raptor label says to add AMS and surfactant. I know I always have. Its still expensive enough that I prefer the extra insurance.
The Raptor label does say that.
And Raptor isnt really that expensive when you consider how many oz per acre is needed.
I think 6 oz is the max mixture.
But the thing that gets me is its limited to only 1 application per year, so I do everything in my power to make sure that one and only application is done correctly. If I screw it up, or it gets rained out before its rain fast, then what do I do?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You are right Tap about small amts needed but you might check Imox as it is cheaper and same 6 oz requirement. And as has been stated it does recommmend additives like raptor suggests of AMS and surfactant.
Only reason I am trying it as opposed to the Cleth and gly used in past is to spray Cattails that have overwhelmed my pond. Like Clearcast is supposed b safe for pond inhabitants. Shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right Tap about small amts needed but you might check Imox as it is cheaper and same 6 oz requirement. And as has been stated it does recommmend additives like raptor suggests of AMS and surfactant.
Only reason I am trying it as opposed to the Cleth and gly used in past is to spray Cattails that have overwhelmed my pond. Like Clearcast is supposed b safe for pond inhabitants. Shall see.

With herbicides, its the surfactant that is harmful to water critters. Clearcast/Raptor has no surfactant. I assume IMOX doesn't have surfactant either.

So last spring I sprayed some on a clover plot with rye at about 6 oz. Smoked all the grasses but still didn't get a hold of some of my broadleaves so I had to smoke everything with gly and 2 4 d knowing it would transition to turnips via conventional tillage. This is when I learned that there is like a 18 month fallow period from raptor to turnips per the label. Found a Oregon State University study that tested this under normal tillage and they noticed no ill effects vs the control. I went ahead and planted and had a great stand of turnips. However, I would recommend against it though, especially if it's a close window between spraying and planting. Even if it's successful there are so many variables in play that it may not work next time around.

If it's a big window between spray and plant...under conventional tillage... and Well drained soil with lots of OM and moisture I would be more comfortable saying that you should give it a shot.

Last edited:
This paper says it's ok to plant cereal grains in the fall was applied to soybeans.

Attachments

• Cover_crop_and_herbicides.pdf
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
With herbicides, its the surfactant that is harmful to water critters. Clearcast/Raptor has no surfactant. I assume IMOX doesn't have surfactant either.

I agree, but Imox is only herbicide for what its worth that has EPA approval for aquatic use which means it has no residue for fish, etc.
Did spray alfalfa today with the Imox and did as I would in the past and added AMS and crop oil. Shall see how it did in next few weeks. Cleth won't show much for a couple weeks typically , not sure how fast Imox shows kill. I'm in no hurry, but my last spray of year except those cattails.

Last edited:
I agree, but Imox is only herbicide for what its worth that has EPA approval for aquatic use which means it has no residue for fish, etc.
Did spray alfalfa today with the Imox and did as I would in the past and added AMS and crop oil. Shall see how it did in next few weeks. Cleth won't show much for a couple weeks typically , not sure how fast Imox shows kill. I'm in no hurry, but my last spray of year except those cattails.
I thought Clearcast was labeled for aquatic use? No?

Promised half life:
https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/reg_actions/registration/fs_PC-129171_22-May-97.pdf
Loss from hydrolysis, photo decomposition, and/or volatilization: Imazamox is hydrolytically stable at pH 5, 7, and 9. Photodegradation is rapid in water (half-life of 6.8 hours) but slow on soil. Volatilization is not significant. Resultant average persistence: The range of dissipation half-lives is 15 to 130 days with the more representative half-lives appearing to be 35 and 50 days. The limited persistence will restrict much of imazamox from reaching ground water.
=============================================================
So herbicidal activity will be affected (on soil) by rate of use. If i use 9 oz, then I'm taking a risk planting in less than 100-150 days. At the 3 oz rate maybe a minimum of 35 to 50 days.

I thought Clearcast was labeled for aquatic use? No?

I thot so too but that is the quote from Keystone. Didn’t even see it till I purchased it. Interesting tho.

How much surfactant are y’all using per gallon?

I also use 8-32 oz for 1-2 ac w 20 gal of water. Almost always the lower Amt. I’ve used crop oil always even without the AMS. Crop oil can burn clover at higher amts. I did useupper limits this time as I was chasing some unwanted weeds in that alfalfa.
Here’s a couple good reads you can look up. Both recommend qt /ac.
e9ecd0480598a7aec397c434c77a391f.jpg

f7099f9aa6a9df25836c52ba9cef5e35.jpg

I also use 8-32 oz for 1-2 ac w 20 gal of water. Almost always the lower Amt. I’ve used crop oil always even without the AMS. Crop oil can burn clover at higher amts. I did useupper limits this time as I was chasing some unwanted weeds in that alfalfa.
Here’s a couple good reads you can look up. Both recommend qt /ac.
e9ecd0480598a7aec397c434c77a391f.jpg

f7099f9aa6a9df25836c52ba9cef5e35.jpg

Are there any times that crop oil should be used INSTEAD of non ionic surfactant? I always hear about being careful of crop oil burning young clover, but can non ionic fit the bill? Why buy crop oil? Just asking.

Honestly Tap I have always bought crop oil because it is what was available in my area and I just never tried the non ionic so I'll let someone else with experience answer. And crop oil was, and probably still is cheaper. I also never used AMS till a few years ago and honestly don't see and advantage to it over when I didn't use it. Once this jug is used up I doubt I buy another. Dgallow and a few others on the old forum was an advocate of the AMS.
Actually the first time I asked for surfactant/crop oil at one of my local feed stores the old man just laughed and asked why would I want that. He said just use a few drops of Dawn. So I bought at another feed store.

Back