The Brushpile

Almost got run over by a 10-12 point buck that my neighbor spooked with his chainsaw, so there's big deer here this year!

Elkie recovered a live doe, and since Missouri doesn't allow weapons on a track, the hunter had to kill it with a pocket knife. Full story is on Elkie's thread.

We have a track on a 170 class buck in the morning.

Congrats to Elkie and her track job! That is some good looking public land you found, good luck on the hunting. Hope you get rain, we are in the same weather pattern. My plots are dust:mad:

Almost got run over by a 10-12 point buck that my neighbor spooked with his chainsaw, so there's big deer here this year!

Elkie recovered a live doe, and since Missouri doesn't allow weapons on a track, the hunter had to kill it with a pocket knife. Full story is on Elkie's thread.

We have a track on a 170 class buck in the morning.
Good luck on that track! Hope you find it before all the rain Kansas is going to share with you gets there!

Elkie recovered a live doe, and since Missouri doesn't allow weapons on a track, the hunter had to kill it with a pocket knife. Full story is on Elkie's thread..

Every state has laws....and dumb laws....and dumber than dumb laws! Congrats to you and the dog!

Elkie found an 8 point buck on a 36+ old track. The hunter invited me for a hunt a guaranteed success; he wants to see Elkie track again.
Elkie made a great recovery, in the hunter's words, "Elkie blew them away". :) Complete story on "Adventures of Elkie".

Did somebody say rain? 0% chance today, 20% chance tomorrow, but the following Wednesday there's a chance.

Outstanding displays of Elkie's work! These Atlantic storms & east winds are not helping you guys in the dry Midwest. I hope it comes to an end soon for you guys, and for us too, I hate hunting these east winds.

Outstanding displays of Elkie's work! These Atlantic storms & east winds are not helping you guys in the dry Midwest. I hope it comes to an end soon for you guys, and for us too, I hate hunting these east winds.

We could certainly use a change in the drought cycle, whichever way the wind blows. Ekie is rock'n this year... so far she's batting 1000!

I'm hoping to see tracking legalized in PA!

Brush,

Changing game laws is about overcoming what people think they know and fear. Your dog is the last size animal they think about - they think hounds and chasing. Elkie looks like a house dog to them instead of the effective tracking dog she is.

Got to give some credit to the trainers like you and your mentor Doctor Brady. :)

I bet the live deer experience was different.

Brush,

Changing game laws is about overcoming what people think they know and fear. Your dog is the last size animal they think about - they think hounds and chasing. Elkie looks like a house dog to them instead of the effective tracking dog she is.

Got to give some credit to the trainers like you and your mentor Doctor Brady. :)

I bet the live deer experience was different.
You hit the nail on the head. I attempted to explain tracking to a very officious game warden and got a lecture on running deer!

6/10ths of an inch of badly needed rain last night is causing AC to start opening. There's a 60% chance of rain on Friday and a 50% chance next week.

Is this the normal time that you have ACs open? Mine just started two days ago and it seems that it happens around the first week of October each year. I've read that they usually start in September in the south. Just curious...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is just the start, and I only picked three, because that's all I can find. My AC open in mid to late October, about the time that bucks are chasing does.

There are plenty of pears still on the tree. Korean Giant/Olympic Pears turn a shade of orange when ripe, and are more firm than an apple.

Kieffer Pears have not dropped. When they do drop they will last on the ground until eaten.

Back