The Brushpile

Side by side comparison. These two trees are about 15 feet apart.
Apple planted in 2008. Note that all apples have been aborted.

Kieffer Pear planted about 2013.

Side by side comparison. These two trees are about 15 feet apart.
Apple planted in 2008. Note that all apples have been aborted.

Kieffer Pear planted about 2013.

And that right there is why I plan on planting way more pears than apples.
Sorry for your loss, hard to lose a parent no matter how old they are or you are. All the best to your wife as well.

Air Layering. The bark was peeled off a 2 inch section of the branch and this pot was applied and watered for about two months, so that roots formed inside the pot. Today I cut the limbs below the pots, removed the pot and planted.

I purchased these small pots and also made my own.

The pots I made were from half gallon containers and worked the best because they were larger and retained moisture better than small pots.

These pears will be on their own roots so they will become large trees and it will take several years to see fruit.

Are you going to graft to your rootstock?
These trees will be on their own roots, so there won't be any grafting. They're Kieffer and Korean Giant. The project started when a neighbor had a tree that was deteriorating and he wanted to preserve it, so I decided to use air layering to clone his tree.

Half gallon containers worked the best. A 2-3 inch layer of bark was removed, plant hormone was applied to the wound and then a pot like this was placed over the wound. The pot was then filled with peat, wrapped in plastic so moisture couldn't escape, and duct taped in place so that the injury remained covered in peat. Then a small watering whole was created and the peat was watered so that roots would grow and not dry out.

Basically, they'e rooted cuttings, so a moisture barrier will be placed around them, but for now I created a greenhouse effect by tubing. Tubes must be applied when the trees are planted. I've had rabbits girdle a pear freshly planted pear in one night.

Not every pot was successful. This pot slid out of position, so that the injury wasn't in moist peat. In other cases, the smaller pots dried out, and I had problems with the lids popping off.

Buyer beware when ordering crabapples. This crabapple was purchased from a wildlife nursery, and produces tiny, hard, crabapples that deer don't eat. Before ordering make sure that crabapples produce at least 1/2 inch diameter apples, or else the tree is a flowering crabapple, used in ornamental planting in urban areas.

Buyer beware when ordering crabapples. This crabapple was purchased from a wildlife nursery, and produces tiny, hard, crabapples that deer don't eat. Before ordering make sure that crabapples produce at least 1/2 inch diameter apples, or else the tree is a flowering crabapple, used in ornamental planting in urban areas.

Can you top work it?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back