The Brushpile

I emptied the rain gauge at 2.75, but it rained hard after that. For the first time all year I think the pond will be full in the morning. I will also have DCO, AC and Sequin. This far South I might even get Fall growth. This is the best rain all year and I'm guessing I got about 4 inches. :)

Congrats Brush! Been watching the radar all day cheering you on, glad to hear you got dumped on. Some fall growth would be nice, your trees and shrubs have some makeup work to do! Hopefully this breaks the dry spell and the rain will keep on coming. Now if we could only get some more rain to Okie's place...

Glad to hear you believe the pond will look great Brush. I think hard work and efforts are rewarded - it just took way too long for the Brushpile to be rewarded. May the hunting gods shine on you and Elkie. ;)

Glad to hear you believe the pond will look great Brush. I think hard work and efforts are rewarded - it just took way too long for the Brushpile to be rewarded. May the hunting gods shine on you and Elkie. ;)
Thanks Wayne, I was about to give up on the pond, but that little pond has big bass and I'm sure this rain has made them happier than living in a mud puddle. In the morning I'll put 700 yards of hose away! Elkie ran a blood track this morning and had difficulty because it was so dry. This rain is also a God send to tracking!

Congrats Brush! Been watching the radar all day cheering you on, glad to hear you got dumped on. Some fall growth would be nice, your trees and shrubs have some makeup work to do! Hopefully this breaks the dry spell and the rain will keep on coming. Now if we could only get some more rain to Okie's place...
Thank you TexOk! My drought started in 2010, when everyone around here got rain but me. I think Okie is in the same situation, with everyone getting rain but him, which is very frustrating. I could smell rain and hear thunder but it wouldn't rain. I'm watching the weather and hope Okie got some rain today. I got dumped on, and one rain doesn't end a drought, but this rain will carry me into the dormant season. :)

Great news on the rain my friend. I had lots of storms pass around my place bit only ended up with a tenth. Needing more bad.

Great news on the rain my friend. I had lots of storms pass around my place bit only ended up with a tenth. Needing more bad.
I got 3 1/4 inches, which still did not fill the pond because it was soo dry that the soil absorbed the first 2 inches, although the river is up but not flooded. This is what whose AC needed if there's going to be nuts. The AC are 10+ feet high and have a massive root system, so watering them with a hose wasn't as effective as I'd hoped, but I'm almost certain that there will be a few nuts.

My 94 year old MIL passed away last night, so everything is up in the air today, with my wife wanting to leave for Iowa this weekend.

Brush,

You need another rain within 4 or 5 days. Sorry to hear about the loss. Never easy to give up our loved ones.

Travel safe.

Brushpile apples planted in 2008.

This is an apple tree I bought with doctorbrady about 5 years ago, and it's barely clinging to life!

Yes Wayne, I do indeed need one more rain, before everything dries back out, which is always the case! One of these years I'll replace my redneck sprinkler system with a new kiddie sprinkler, total cost about $3. I have the sprinkler, but what's the point with the pond 3-4 feet below normal. When the pond is totally full the sprinkler is below the water, and was turned on to aerate and refill the pond, but the sprinkler couldn't keep pace with the drought.

The pond needs to overflow once and a while, but hasn't filled once this year.

Sequin planted this Spring survived. Sequin are drought tolerant, but can't produce nuts without rain. This Sequin is smaller than it was when it was planted!

Back