The Brushpile

good for you my friend. I am suppose to get some tonight and then really good chances starting the middle of next week.

todd
I have good chances next week too! It seems like a lot of my rain comes through Oklahoma City. AC are growing nuts!

OK,I talked to Shaw yesterday and am set up,now I just wish I could look back and see your old posts about your lumite cutting.A couple 500' rolls should last a bit for my electric fence planting.

OK,I talked to Shaw yesterday and am set up,now I just wish I could look back and see your old posts about your lumite cutting.A couple 500' rolls should last a bit for my electric fence planting.
Page 18 of this thread shows how to cut Lumite. ;) Wet feet implies poorly drained soil where water stands. Trees that don't like wet feet are "Anaerobic intolerant", and drown in standing water. So Chestnut doesn't like swampy soil or flooded areas where it's roots can't breathe.

Anaerobic intolerant plants shouldn't be planted with a plastic weed mat because plastic doesn't breathe. I use Lumite because Lumite does breathe, and is perfect for growing Chestnuts. Wet feet has to do with your soil and sight location, not the Lumite.

For planning purposes, you should get about 50 weed mats per roll, if you cut them square. The manure that I used on Page 18 was on established apple trees, to add organic matter for drought conditions. I don't recommend amending the soil for newly planted trees.

When stapling a weed mat down, get it tight and flat by stapling the center, then the four edges first, before stapling the four corners.

Massive storm last night with strong winds, but only 6/10ths in the rain gauge; 60% chances Wed-Fri though, and I hope it rains all four days!

I hope the rainfall keeps finding its way to the Brushpile. Be good for river, pond and trees, as well as the Brushmaster. ;)

I am assuming you got some of this stuff that pounded central Illinois last night and this morning. I haven't checked rain gauge but I am sure we have over 2" and more coming down right now. I could do without the tornadoes and wind that came with it but I am sure my plots are enjoying the drink they got. Now hopefully they don't drink to much as it is very muddy out there. When I get off of work I am going to run out and take a look at plots I am sure they liked it as they were getting a little dry we haven't had rain since the day we planted.

I hope some of that rain you got had some time to soak in a little.

SEQUIN.
Last Spring I posted a pic of this "Chestnut", and probably said something like, it's on steroids. This tree is planted in the front yard, and I poured the water to it, but noticed that it had a very bushy growth habit, and now the burs aren't large enough to be a Chinese Chestnut? Then I remembered that I planted one Sequin in the yard, where it wouldn't die from drought. This is a Sequin, and it will open it's burs sometime in September or early October. This Sequin /Chinese Chinkapin shows what a Sequin is supposed to look like when adequate moisture is available. Oh, and I pruned it in an attempt to grow a single stem, which didn't work. Sequin apparently creates good brushy cover!

I am assuming you got some of this stuff that pounded central Illinois last night and this morning. I haven't checked rain gauge but I am sure we have over 2" and more coming down right now. I could do without the tornadoes and wind that came with it but I am sure my plots are enjoying the drink they got. Now hopefully they don't drink to much as it is very muddy out there. When I get off of work I am going to run out and take a look at plots I am sure they liked it as they were getting a little dry we haven't had rain since the day we planted.

I hope some of that rain you got had some time to soak in a little.
The storm passed over me first and I only got 6/10ths. When it's dry it doesn't want to rain. I remember Hurricane Katrina did the same thing, the center of Katrina passed directly overhead and I got under an inch, while Chicago got 5 inches! Every drop of last night's rain soaked in. I can look out the window and can see that the river is still low.

That two inches is just what your plots needed, and I hope we both get some follow on rains to put moisture in the soil and raise the water table some.

I hope the rainfall keeps finding its way to the Brushpile. Be good for river, pond and trees, as well as the Brushmaster. ;)
Drought does alter the mind after awhile. Too much suffering, worry and negativity. A load is lifted for now. It needs it would get back to where I wish the rain would go away. The weather is cooling and trees are going dormant, but I could also get late Summer growth, I saw a few catkins on Chestnut that thinks Spring has arrived with this rain!

Took a drive through public hunting land in the Mark Twain National Forest.

There are unseen deer, Elk and Black Bear in those photos. ;) Problem is, where to hunt in all that?

Native Hunter identified this plant for me this morning; this is Carolina Buckthorn. Don't let the name scare you, this is a native plant with high wildlife value. It's dioecious, with only the female producing berries. Birds eat the berries and "Deer relish the leaves".
http://www.buckmanager.com/2008/01/04/carolina-buckthorn/

Carolina Buckthorn is not invasive, though that wouldn't be a bad thing. It's also not to be confused with Winter Berry or Bush Honeysuckle. The red berries are hard and Native Hunter says they turn black when ripe. There are some Carolina Buckthorn on the Brushpile, but none of mine are female plants.

OK, not what I was expecting and impressive. I am going to have to try weed mats.
Nja7u60V1tOiv8VksPgCL7Srj0jbbZKolaP3MgkKDGkMQuKS5WsZ2vcbEFvdIflUprGPCzdiRYYBzZnYile1B-VDlfV1A3wGvLDkeEED8xo-cWZe2OXXujlreff5F8ZraNr7EsFZL5q7bjXDuy8uNUOwRjzclwQEHf3icaaMS9Mca_dHJaEUcfGMCYvKIXn-xf7DFePcS0po0SezuKZ9zzafIsN5whyV5edS3VHqeMYFgXGd8L1M6MlswoR3OWH7Zr9IQd98AS2jY2yXpTbg4gbrkRbRYTEicZXoPj2lGDswJRcJNI-vh4jHeLYNHdMpMDwy3x343yCuKOk6gfvVw9BHnmIqPzHaZuiMlZWzPg9Y8VCnDZqNNpVQDypSm0D2lAgv9VElaTZeLa09Z51Pq4vV00k89PPy5anUgys_d0Xx9e4GrALdwrBTkcXREFe-456NN1M5xbKyxiaFtiFyFlwXpl_xotNm9dCI-cc52gSmCXRLbfESRNph65igLT1p0CiSHJamZveUI_sMWLqXj5Av-f2-MFrmGCJswG2Ey3vMpvT-UQT9RJZs2-vS0CT03zNCaHfoDmz9diGycPNntjYausiLc2YNOuUZSyP_F9VvkH6c=w1732-h974-no

Apparently, I already have. I assume these brush piles act in the same manner.

This SWO was cut to the ground last year and came back a foot high. I wish more did that.

I need to plant more inside the piles. A lot more work but it seems to help.

I have dozens of those Carolina buckthorn or buckhoen,I haven't seen where deer eat the leaves but I'm sure they do.They surround many fields I have.

Native Hunter identified this plant for me this morning; this is Carolina Buckthorn. Don't let the name scare you, this is a native plant with high wildlife value. It's dioecious, with only the female producing berries. Birds eat the berries and "Deer relish the leaves".
http://www.buckmanager.com/2008/01/04/carolina-buckthorn/

Carolina Buckthorn is not invasive, though that wouldn't be a bad thing. It's also not to be confused with Winter Berry or Bush Honeysuckle. The red berries are hard and Native Hunter says they turn black when ripe. There are some Carolina Buckthorn on the Brushpile, but none of mine are female plants.

Diamond hunter, Carolina Buckthorn is new to me so I quoted Buckmanager.com when I typed, "Deer relish the leaves". I have no firsthand knowledge of this plant, and took the pick in the Norfork Lake area on the Missouri/Arkansas Border.

This small field connects wooded areas, and is a travel corridor. Deer passing through will be on the move, and it'll probably take a week or two for deer to get used to the blind being there. This is an ambush location out the front of the blind.
The goal here is a track for Elkie, early in the season so that Elkie has a good track for her first deer in 2016.

While this area normalizes, I'll be playing the wind from my 5 gallon bucket that I move according to the weather.

Korean Giant Pears weigh about a pound each.

Any chance I can get a few scions from this pear tree. Turkey Creek is selling me a dozen root stock and I am wanted to improve my pear trees. I have Kiefers and Dwart Asian but like the looks of your pears.

I like five gallon bucket sits. I use fishing line to hang branches and limbs so I can shoot around them. I make my own vertical column and I wear leafy top and a bonnie hat with leaves on it. Put a little brush on the ground to break things up in front of your vertical column. I have a PY Buck from Kentucky on the wall with that trick. The only buck I mounted in velvet.

Back