The Brushpile

Over on the old forum I posted pics of air layering to propagate trees. Here's a success pic. This limb will be cut off at the bottom of the pot, and planted in the Fall. There are roots growing inside the pot, so I'll wait for the tree to go dormant, like I would with any potted plant.

Many other pots either slid down the stem, and/or dried out, killing the limb.

I had good luck using half gallon pots that I wrapped in plastic, but don't have a pic of then. The larger pots don't dry out as fast.

This is the pollen and chigger infested jungle I watered in yesterday. 5x5 foot weed mats don't look big now! I was able to locate pear trees by locating their weed mats.

Giant Ragweed pollen turned me yellow, and I'm allergic to ragweed. Through this jungle of NWSG and ragweed are more pear trees. Without Lumite weed mats, finding these young pears would have been close to impossible.

This young Arkansas Black apple is loaded.

I know that the tree would have but on more growth if I removed the apples, but I planted this Walmart tree this Spring and wanted to see what it would do.

http://www.drillyourownwell.com

If you care to put in a bit of work, which it seems you do... This might solve all your irrigation issues, tap into the water table.:D

And I'd like to know your step-by-step for the root bucket...!
In old posts on another forum I discussed a solar still. Water is constantly evaporating from the ground, even in a desert. By using a moisture barrier, that moisture will collect under the moisture barrier, but it has to rain once and awhile or plant respiration will exceed what a moisture barrier can collect.

Here's a video on air layering.
These are commercial air layering pots.
http://www.hollowcreekbonsai.com/ec...r-pot-for-air-layering-trunks-1-2-1-rpt.rhtml
Used half gallon and pint pots works as well.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...aa6a22a93f61297aeb82f854db172a8bo0&ajaxhist=0

These pines were able to be located for watering because Glyphosate was sprayed around then following Turkey Season.

Center front is a small Bur Oak that was direct seeded about 6-7 years ago. Behind that Bur Oak is a much taller Bur Oak even though both Bur Oaks were planted at the same time.

To demonstrate the difference, I'm reaching down to touch the smaller Bur Oak.

I'm reaching up to toward the top of the taller tree, and can't come close to reaching the top.

I'm 6' tall, so this tree is about 9-10 feet tall and the smaller tree is about 3 feet tall, why the difference in growth of two Bur Oaks that are planted side by side at the same time?

This is an Allegheny Chinkapin (AC), that was planted 4 years ago and isn't very big.

Growing next to this tiny AC is this BIG AC that was planted the same day. The small AC is in the foreground and the big AC goes higher than the pic.

Both AC were planted side by side on the same day, so why the extreme difference between the two?

Wildlife Chestnut grown from seed I bought from Empire Chestnut.
http://www.empirechestnut.com/catalog.htm#seed
Wildlife Chestnut is a cross between American Chestnut, Chinese Chestnut/Seqiuin, and Chinese Chestnut.

Glad to hear you finally got a little rain! I've been curious about the wildlife hybrids from Empire. The catalogue makes it look like it's actually a four way cross, with American chestnut, Chinese chestnut, Allegheny chinquapin, and Sequin chinquapin. With American chestnut and Allegheny chinquapin in the mix, I wonder about its overall resistance to blight long term. So what's your overall impression of them? Do they grow well, what size are the burrs, which parent plant do you think they favor, and of course, growing on the Brushpile, what would you rate their drought tolerance?

Glad to hear you finally got a little rain! I've been curious about the wildlife hybrids from Empire. The catalogue makes it look like it's actually a four way cross, with American chestnut, Chinese chestnut, Allegheny chinquapin, and Sequin chinquapin. With American chestnut and Allegheny chinquapin in the mix, I wonder about its overall resistance to blight long term. So what's your overall impression of them? Do they grow well, what size are the burrs, which parent plant do you think they favor, and of course, growing on the Brushpile, what would you rate their drought tolerance?
The wildlife hybrid is a novelty, and I don't know how they'll perform. The burs are large, like a chestnut rather than a chinkapin, and the leaves are large, like a Chestnut, rather than a Chinkapin.. Allegheny Chinkapin is blight resistant, so I recommend planting it because it performs with amazing speed and if it gets blight it grows back fast and produces again in about two years. Chinese Chestnut is no fail. Chinese Chinkapin/Sequin takes years to produce a bur and so far I haven't gotten a single nut off 3-4 years olds, while AC that are 3-4 would be producing 100s of nuts. However Sequin could do great things in another year or two.

Up the page I asked why one AC was big and another AC small in a side by side comparison, and also why one Bur Oak was large and another small in a side by side comparison? Both sets of trees were not tubed or fertilized. They were watered enough to ensure survival, yet one bur oak was much larger than the other and one AC is much larger than the other.

Actually this was an experiment I started about three years ago.
This is the big AC.

This is the small AC.

These are the two AC, with the smaller in the foreground.

The extreme difference in growth is that the larger trees have 5'x5' Lumite weed mats, and that's the only difference. Lumite weed mats are the only way to go in dry climates, and even in moist climates, because Lumite keeps away competing vegetation, allowing for Sun, moisture and nutrients to be available throughout the entire growing season, plus Lumite serves as a moisture barrier to retain moisture evaporating up through the soil.

Korean Giant. This pear wasn't ready yet, but was accidentally knocked off the tree while mowing. I weighed it to see what it weighed on September 1st and it's 2 ounces short of a pound.

This is my oldest Chinese Chestnut, which was planted in 2008. This tree was sold to me as a potted sprout by "Morse Nursery", and falsely claimed to be a Chinkapin Oak x Dwarf Chinkapin Oak Hybrid.

About 3-4 years ago I removed the tree tube and a buck promptly rubbed it, so this is regrowth. The old stem can be seen in this pic.

That Chestnuts is bucking a bunch of competition. Thanks for sharing. Maybe it will bear soon.
Yes, I know! This particular chestnut is planted in a very rocky location so I can't pin Lumite down without wet ground, which I haven't had this year. This Winter it'll get a Lumite weed mat.

Back