The Brushpile

Here I go again! :( I'd rather be doing anything else! This is a big chestnut... to big to let die!

I use plastic bins to spread the water out, and to release the water slowly enough to soak in and not run off. Each bin has three holes in the bottom.

Trees are dropping leaves to reduce respiration, and growth has stopped.

Lumite, tree tube, NWSG for shelter, Fall planted and the chestnut still died... I've never lost one that was given the full treatment before!

Colossal Chestnut. Colossal can get blight, as can AC, but it has blight resistance and look at this whooper! Not only is the nut big, but the tree is 5-6 years old and is over 15 feet tall!

Good grief Brush, I was hoping you'd finally get a break this year. Looks like maybe some chances this week, fingers crossed for ya!

I'm with you, Brush, as usual. My place has received 1.13 inches this month, all in tenths or hundredths of an inch. Average rainfall should be around 3.5. I have been down pretty much every month this season. In fact, aside from a couple of just in time life saving rains, I think my place has been drier than during the drought of 2012! I lost a centuries old cottonwood, which is easily the largest tree on my place. Apples have almost all aborted so that the trees might survive. The only thing prospering are grasses which can make the most of small amounts of surface rain.

I'm with you, Brush, as usual. My place has received 1.13 inches this month, all in tenths or hundredths of an inch. Average rainfall should be around 3.5. I have been down pretty much every month this season. In fact, aside from a couple of just in time life saving rains, I think my place has been drier than during the drought of 2012! I lost a centuries old cottonwood, which is easily the largest tree on my place. Apples have almost all aborted so that the trees might survive. The only thing prospering are grasses which can make the most of small amounts of surface rain.

My little orchard on the back of the property is really hurting, and it's so far from the well that I don't get much pressure if I run a hose back there. There's no fruit on any of the trees, and I put 20-30 tuck loads of manure on that plot, plus used Lumite! If there isn't rain soon I'm afraid that orchard will die. I have an 80% chance of rain in a few days, and I have to get it.

At night I run the hose in the pond to keep the fish alive. I planted pears under where the power line used to be, and will water them in the morning. I also think it's too dry to train Elkie.

I've been watching your place on radar, and wishing you'd get some rain.

Thundering dark clouds rolled over SAMs Place today while I worked. I watched rain fall a couple of miles to the NE, but none for me :(. Even with dark clouds all around, the relative humidity was only in the 70s. Super dry ground seems to just precipitate more drought, and clouds do not want to let go of their moisture. While I worked my wife called and said that it was pouring at the house once again. 3 days in the past week now. Summer rain can definitely be a cat and mouse game where a mile can make all the difference between saturated soil and desert.

Last edited:
It's feast or famine. In 2008 and 2009 it was so wet that my planting holes filled with water, and trees died from drowning. I have yet to have a normal year with average rainfall. Send me some of that rain!

That is brutal. I feel for you. We may have a few weeks here and there without rain but never experience anything like you deal with. Good grief, hope it breaks free for you soon.

I know watering those trees gets old, but wow what you have accomplished over the years WITHOUT the needed rainfall. Maybe, just maybe it will turn around for you soon. Nothing like you are dealing with but my little pear trees have gone a bit without rain. Although they did get timely showers since planting in January.

over 45" of rain for the year here so far, leaves are all turning yellow and falling off my seedlings, chlorosis has set in bad from being soaked for so long!

Just looked at the radar for you. Looks like your force field is holding strong. Hope the Storms are able to break through.

One thing I didn't include on the scrape line, was the licking branch. Over every scrape there's a licking branch that's about 4-5 feet off the ground and hangs over the scrape. In the cedars where my scrape line is there were other scrapes, and I extended those scrapes to and beyond my stand. Cedars don't have good overhanging limbs that drupe down and make ideal licking branches, so bucks actually twisted and pulled on live limbs until they hung down. The licking branch is very important! The buck deposits scent on the licking branch from his orbital gland, and in the scrape he leaves interdigital gland scent from between his hooves.

Make the mock scrape line before the rut, and go back weeks later to freshen it and add scent. Making the scrape line in advance allows human odor to dissipate, and for the scrape line to be freshened and scented with as little human disturbance as possible. Once deer start using the scrape line stay back away from the scrapes and let the deer do the work!

http://www.moisturemizer.com/

Useful in a scrape?

Get large plastic containers, barrel or square styles, load'em up on a trailer, fill'em at your house, then put'em where you need'em with drip lines.... Better than nothing in a drought... Save one large container for the bed of a truck. Fill that one and drive the water to refill barrels. If that makes sense....

Carpet is the best alternative to any mulch. It keeps the soil from evaporating excess moisture. Evaporation happens from Sun and Air contact with the soil. Carpet also is a weed barrier and can be found for free if you post a wanted ad...

Get large plastic containers, barrel or square styles, load'em up on a trailer, fill'em at your house, then put'em where you need'em with drip lines.... Better than nothing in a drought... Save one large container for the bed of a truck. Fill that one and drive the water to refill barrels. If that makes sense....

Carpet is the best alternative to any mulch. It keeps the soil from evaporating excess moisture. Evaporation happens from Sun and Air contact with the soil. Carpet also is a weed barrier and can be found for free if you post a wanted ad...
Good point. So far I've used black plastic, cardboard, house wrap, and Lumite. The time comes when it has to be removed and disposed of, which is a drawback with all of it to some extent.

When I started watering in April of 2010, I filled plastic garbage cans with water, which I hauled in my truck bed, thinking the drought would surely end in a few days or weeks. I switched to hose when watering became large scale and never ending, although it rained last night, so I'm done watering for at least a week. :)

Lumite is my preference because it's easy to handle, and allows moisture in, while deterring its release. For a few trees in a orchard setting, carpet would be ideal, but I use so much Lumite that is shows up on a satellite view!

Just looked at the radar for you. Looks like your force field is holding strong. Hope the Storms are able to break through.
I went to bed ready to sell the place, but woke to a strong storm! I had two inches in the rain gauge, but it was so dry that the river didn't rise much, nor did the pond. I'm taking a much needed day off from watering!!! :)

over 45" of rain for the year here so far, leaves are all turning yellow and falling off my seedlings, chlorosis has set in bad from being soaked for so long!
I had that problem in 2008 and 2009. Threes that are intolerant to loss of Oxygen died.

Back