The Brushpile

Need rain but can survive without it, it's just that there will be no mast again. This is an apricot, and it still has two leaves at the top of the tree.

This is Nannyberry, which is good cover and browse. This bush is on the edge of the yard where it won't get browsed, but it needs rain. Bushes out on the Brushpile get hit hard.

Back to Nannyberry. Nannyberry is also a superfood and got the name Nannyberry because someone thought nanny goats preferred the berry. Nannyberry berries can be made into juice, jelly, jam, or dried , if you can beat the birds to them. This is a Nannyberry berry:

dogdoc, I'll trade you my Johnson Grass for your Johnson Grass. ;) This was a clover food plot around pear trees, now the Johnson Grass is overtaking the pears. My solution is to plant rows of pears in Lumite to shade out JG. Mowing is a must to keep down junk trees.

Crabapple buyers beware! I thought I got a good deal on crabapples when I bought crabapple trees from Coldstream Farm, but they were flowering crabs with little value to deer, and the tiny fruit dries on the tree and drops in the Spring.

Notice that these apples look nothing like the red crabapples in the ad!
Morse Nursery sells "Thicket Crabapple", and I bought one. :confused: Notice the nice crabapples in the advertisement.
http://www.morsenursery.com/index.php?cPath=31&pID=392

This is what "Thicket Crabapple" really looks like. This bush was planted in 2008, and has been treated with Ironite for chlorosis, had two bags of composted cow manure added around it, and has a Lumite weed mat, but is still yellow. The Morse Nursery Ad says the bush grows "Fast" and is "Widely Adaptable". :rolleyes:

These are the apples that nothing eats.

At least it makes some nice cover. Do the deer browse the foliage on the crab?

Looks like you might not have any viable AC nuts to send me this year. :(

The apples and leaves are bitter, so the bush serves no useful purpose other than occupying space; it's not even worth grafting!
I should have some AC and if need be I'll water a few trees, just so I'll have nuts to send. This drought has been horrible. but I still have pears!

This Kieffer Pear hasn't been watered, sprayed or cared for in any way, and it still has pears.

Johnson Grass does make a screen, but it's an ever spreading screen that swallows everything! Patches of Johnson Grass make cover that deer will bed in, if it can be contained.

Johnson Grass does make a screen, but it's an ever spreading screen that swallows everything! Patches of Johnson Grass make cover that deer will bed in, if it can be contained.

I have some Johnson in a bean plot that we have sprayed twice and still didn't get it all killed. It is at least spreading in a straight line so I am using it to my advantage to enter and exit a stand across the plot. I figure until it gets knocked down by frost it will make a nice little piece of cover to block line of sight to where the deer bed. Next year hopefully we can get it under control but I am not counting on it.

I have some Johnson in a bean plot that we have sprayed twice and still didn't get it all killed. It is at least spreading in a straight line so I am using it to my advantage to enter and exit a stand across the plot. I figure until it gets knocked down by frost it will make a nice little piece of cover to block line of sight to where the deer bed. Next year hopefully we can get it under control but I am not counting on it.
Glyphosate and grass selectives only aggravate JG.
My JG stays standing most of the Winter, long after NWSG is flattened, so your JG should get you through deer season, or does your JG flatten out?

This is Chokeberry. It's very dry, so there aren't many leaves on it, and I picked most of the berries to make jam so you have to look hard to see the bush. The reason I'm posting this pic is to illustrate that while Chokeberry is a great wildlife plant, it is not cover.

The Chokeberry is in front of the HP.

Back