The Brushpile

Do you notice jap beetles attacking crabapples as much as regular apple trees? I have terrible amounts of beetles here and was told some crabapples are not eatin by jap beetles. Not sure why that would be if regular apple trees get attacked so bad. For now I'm sticking to pears.

My crabapples get hammered by jap beetles. But some are more preferred than others.

Ive got chokeberries Brush and didnt think i could use them for anything. Thanks for the jam pics. :cool:
Love the brush in the Brushpile.

Paw Paw is a tropical fruit, and has little value to deer, but is a cool tree and it produces sweet juicy fruit. Paw Paw likes North facing slopes.
Paw Paw has huge leaves!

The bark on Paw Paw is smooth and almost silvery.

The unripe fruit. This fruit will drop long before deer season and be immediately consumed by possum, coon and maybe a lucky deer. If I want fuit I'll need to wait about another week and pick it off the tree because it doesn't last on the ground.

From over a dozen Paw Paw trees there were only a few clusters of fruit.

Paw Paw Trees.

My crabapples get hammered by jap beetles. But some are more preferred than others.
Japanese Beetles eat everything, but prefer only the best. They preferred my apples and chestnuts over crabapples. Some crabapples taste better than others. Deer browse my Dolgo, but hardly touch Mongolian, I'm guessing that Japanese beetles can eat anything, but have preferences.

Japanese Beetles eat everything, but prefer only the best. They preferred my apples and chestnuts over crabapples. Some crabapples taste better than others. Deer browse my Dolgo, but hardly touch Mongolian, I'm guessing that Japanese beetles can eat anything, but have preferences.
I think youre right. One of my crabs has been nearly defoliated the past two years, while othersnearby dont get hit too bad. Weird.

I think youre right. One of my crabs has been nearly defoliated the past two years, while othersnearby dont get hit too bad. Weird.
Your deer probably also prefer the crabapple that the beetles prefer. Some crabapples are bitter.

Brush...Beautiful view from the bluff overlooking the MS river! That'd be hard to beat each morning with a cup of coffee and the sun rising. I'm gonna try your scrape line deal. I've never done that. Peed in natural scrapes but never intentionally made a line of scrapes other than the occasional single scrape here and there. Love your thread!

Brush...Beautiful view from the bluff overlooking the MS river! That'd be hard to beat each morning with a cup of coffee and the sun rising. I'm gonna try your scrape line deal. I've never done that. Peed in natural scrapes but never intentionally made a line of scrapes other than the occasional single scrape here and there. Love your thread!
One thing I didn't include on the scrape line, was the licking branch. Over every scrape there's a licking branch that's about 4-5 feet off the ground and hangs over the scrape. In the cedars where my scrape line is there were other scrapes, and I extended those scrapes to and beyond my stand. Cedars don't have good overhanging limbs that drupe down and make ideal licking branches, so bucks actually twisted and pulled on live limbs until they hung down. The licking branch is very important! The buck deposits scent on the licking branch from his orbital gland, and in the scrape he leaves interdigital gland scent from between his hooves.

Make the mock scrape line before the rut, and go back weeks later to freshen it and add scent. Making the scrape line in advance allows human odor to dissipate, and for the scrape line to be freshened and scented with as little human disturbance as possible. Once deer start using the scrape line stay back away from the scrapes and let the deer do the work!

Bur Oak acorns and every nut in the area need rain, or there will be no nut crop. There Bur Oak acorns should be almost golfball in size when they drop. The MDC sells the Bur Bur Oaks.

The size of those paw paws are awesome. No many wild trees in this area will make fruit that size.
Paw Paw is the largest native fruit in North America, but Paw Paw is pollinated by flies, so there's only a few Paw Paws on each tree. In a year with normal rain, Paw Paw are the size of potatoes. Paw Paw are not browsed, don't provide good cover, and have little value for deer, but they're considered a "Super food", with 8x the nutrition of apples, oranges or bananas, and they don't require maintenance. Paw Paws are good people food, do you eat them?

Paw Paw is the largest native fruit in North America, but Paw Paw is pollinated by flies, so there's only a few Paw Paws on each tree. In a year with normal rain, Paw Paw are the size of potatoes. Paw Paw are not browsed, don't provide good cover, and have little value for deer, but they're considered a "Super food", with 8x the nutrition of apples, oranges or bananas, and they don't require maintenance. Paw Paws are good people food, do you eat them?

Yes, I like them just as they are beginning to soften but not once they get too soft. I have a Sunflower cultivar that really has an excellent taste, but I've also eaten some wild ones that were just as good.

Yes, I like them just as they are beginning to soften but not once they get too soft. I have a Sunflower cultivar that really has an excellent taste, but I've also eaten some wild ones that were just as good.
All I've ever eaten were wild. One year we made Paw Paw jam!

Promises of rain haven't come to be. This Summer has been dry and leaves are curling on trees. Here the river is about dried up.

I don't know dude, you have had some tough years . I really thought by how this year started the drought was finally going to end for the brushpile.

Back