The Brushpile

Your pears will be clones, and they can't be planted in worse soil than what my tree is in. However, your roots might not be the same roots that Century Farm uses?

That melon is a hog, and I have about 200 pounds of them. I wonder if melon can be juiced?

Apple.
This apple tree is about 5 year's old! Apples don't do well on The Brushpile!

This is an apple that was planted in 2008. Japanese Beetles defoliated it and it's putting on new leaves.

The entire tree has one apple!

Korean Giant Oriental Pear growing in the weeds, that has never been watered or sprayed.

Kieffer Pear that has not been watered sprayed or pruned; plant an forget!

Do you notice jap beetles attacking crabapples as much as regular apple trees? I have terrible amounts of beetles here and was told some crabapples are not eatin by jap beetles. Not sure why that would be if regular apple trees get attacked so bad. For now I'm sticking to pears.

Crabapples do well here, but regular apples don't. Japanese Beetles have expensive taste, favoring Chestnuts, AC, Sequin, and apples. Pears and Crabapples have so far been given a pass.

You have done a bunch of great plantings on that bare 20 acres you started off with...it turned out really nice!

I did similar things on Home 10 which was mostly an overgrazed cattle pasture. It's amazing to me what it all looks like now a days as opposed to the way it looked like when we moved there in 1999...only problem I have there is a very light sandy type soil that won't hold moisture and a lack of rain :(

Have you been getting any of that rain that moves across from Kansas?

It's getting dry again, because the water table is way down, so when it does rain, it only wets the surface, and once that evaporates, I'm right back in drought again. It's flooding 50 miles to my East., but there's so good chance of rain here until Saturday. To dig a hole I have to chip away at the ground and fill the depression with water, dig add water, dig add water...

I'm surprised that the beetles don't go after the crabapple trees since there really is no difference between an apple and crabapple tree - just the size of the fruit.

Your Pear trees look great ! What type of soil are your pear trees in ? I have a few I want to plant in the next few weeks. Do you see a problem planting Pear trees now ?

Thanks.....

Glad the pears are still producing for you through the drought. I planted 4 Kieffers last year. Enjoy the chokeberries.

Back