The Brushpile

Thanks wbpdeer and dogdoc, I got 1.25 inches, and have more chances, I'd love to get a good follow on rain and fill the pond for the first time all year. This rain will go a long way toward producing AC and DCO seed, and maybe a few Sequin. Rain was also needed for plants to produce new leaves after being defoliated by Japanese Beetles.

thought i would share some of the stuff you sent me and thank you for your generosity. you are always so generous wth your knowledge and your plants

here is 1 of 4 pear seedlings that were grafted with the Korean Giant pear scions

the tree on left is a seedling grafted with the enterprise you sent me and the right from your dolgo

and here is a pic of your cherry tree

Always study your thread Brush. Hard to keep up. Certainly made note of Elderberry and Chokeberry for future use on my place. Thanks.
Dogghr, glad to have you here! Things will normalize after I catch up with restoring info from the old thread.

thought i would shayou sent me andre some of your generosity. you are always so generous witj your knowledge and your plants

here is 1 of 4 pear seedlings that were grafted with the Korean Giant pear scions

the tree on left is a seedling grafted with the enterprise you sent me and the right from your dolgo

and here is a pic of your cherry tree

You have a green thumb, especially with the roots on the cherry being so badly damaged. Thanks for the pics, I thoroughly enjoy seeing them. Pear is a fast growing tree, and you should see pears in about 2-3 years.

You have a green thumb, especially with the roots on the cherry being so badly damaged. Thanks for the pics, I thoroughly enjoy seeing them. Pear is a fast growing tree, and you should see pears in about 2-3 years.

I had some seedlings that were directly planted in the field also that I grafted also. One was also an enterprise you sent me and the other was the scions from your neighbors apple tree that doesn't have a true identity. They are all doing great also--at least last time I checked.

I also have 5 "brush" plum trees growing in bags. I think you sent me 8 seeds and 5 germinated. Excited to see what these will do in the future also.

thanks for all you do and I am so happy you decided to join this forum.
todd

Super cool if the mystery plum grows in Oklahoma, and maybe someday an ID will be made.

Thanks, I'm excited to be here. :)

Drought.
This is not the Serengeti Plains, this is the Missouri Ozarks in 2012.

My favorite fishing hole>

Little Pomme de Terre River

Notice that the edge of the road remains green; that's because the road is a moisture barrier so moisture escapes to the outside edge.

Notice that the edge of the road remains green; that's because the road is a moisture barrier so moisture escapes to the outside edge.

Brush, The drought photos are hard for me to imagine. Things want to live - but lack of water thins the ranks. Sorry for your struggle.

We looked the same back in 2012 from when your photos were taken. We had 40+ days over 100 that year along with a record of 113...

Interestingly enough 2011 was considered our hottest summer...

My Serengeti right now...used to knee high clover a little over a month ago...

a8543c70bc199b3819cf8a72cf3775a2.jpg

wpbdeer and Okiekobta, I posted the pics as a lead up to surviving drought. Though nothing replaces rain, there are measures that can be taken to grow trees in a drought. With food plots organic matter helps to some extent, but nothing replaces rain.

Before I can proceed further with the topic of drought, I need a Geek Squad tune-up because I've been hacked and can't use Photobucket. The hacker shut me down and then offers a service to repair it!!!

The above drought pics revealed some lessons that I used to grow trees and bushes in subsequent drought years. I researched "The Dust Bowl", which started in 1931 and lasted eight years. In 1939 rain brought the drought to an end. Following the dust bowl, farmers were paid to plant trees. In the 10 years that followed the Dust Bowl 200 million Cottonwood Trees and others were planted to form windrows.

Here, HP which are closely related to cottonwood, are planted in windrows to shelter seedlings from afternoon Sun and hot dry wind, plus the Lumite will release moisture along the outside edge like the green plants growing along the road that's pictured above. This method was even successfully used to grow apples and pears.

These are Fall planted chestnuts, that will be shaded by HP cuttings to be planted the following Spring.

Brush, The drought photos are hard for me to imagine. Things want to live - but lack of water thins the ranks. Sorry for your struggle.
Pine will die and still look green, just like a cut Christmas Tree, so no amount of water could revive the pines in the above pics. No water = death, so it's important to capture water evaporating from deep in the soil.

We looked the same back in 2012 from when your photos were taken. We had 40+ days over 100 that year along with a record of 113...

Interestingly enough 2011 was considered our hottest summer...

My Serengeti right now...used to knee high clover a little over a month ago...

a8543c70bc199b3819cf8a72cf3775a2.jpg
I hope you get some rain this weekend.

I remember seeing the pics of the steps you took to help young trees survive. Good stuff as always. Here's hoping you get some great rains. The drought pictures remind me of 2007 around here. I had planted pines and sawtooth in 2006 and glad it was that year instead of a year later. Have since planted big groups in 2013 and 2016. Thankfully some good rain along the way each year, and the 2016 new trees are enjoying some this week.

Wow...I remember you going through that on the old forum but those pics really illustrate how bad it truly was.
2012 was the worst year, but drought still remains. Ponds, streams, and reservoirs are way down, and while trees survive, they aren't productive. Survival takes the pressure off though, and there's always next year for fruit and nut production.

I remember seeing the pics of the steps you took to help young trees survive. Good stuff as always. Here's hoping you get some great rains. The drought pictures remind me of 2007 around here. I had planted pines and sawtooth in 2006 and glad it was that year instead of a year later. Have since planted big groups in 2013 and 2016. Thankfully some good rain along the way each year, and the 2016 new trees are enjoying some this week.
There have been brief respites from the drought, and it should rain this weekend. Okiekubota is in severe drought about 200 miles SW of my location , and we should both catch rain from the same storm system this weekend.

This is the set up that made it possible to grow trees in the drought. The HP were planted in the Spring. In the worst drought, trees in Lumite will stay watered 2-3 weeks. Bins are on Lumite and gallon jugs are on trees planted along the edge of Lumite.

Back