Question for the experts

chbarnha

In the pics attached is the foodplot that I planted in rye and brassicas in the fall. I am planning on doing green covers summer release blend here shortly and was unsure of whether to disc this existing crop under or would you broadcast directly into it? Thanks for any advice
6a351cd611495fb23f41af6a1b411d9e.jpg

6b90fe27ccf1f00ae35e82f963265d03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your rye is eaten down low but still looks very thick to me. As we go into spring, it will start back growing with a vengeance and compete strongly with anything you plant. It would also likely keep lots of your new seed from germinating. Most of us here are getting away from disking. If it were mine and I wanted a summer plot, I would let the rye bounce back and grow about 9 inches high. Then I would terminate it with Gly, broadcast my seed and mow the dead rye down on top of the seed. Good luck.

The other option vs spraying is to wait till the rye hits the dough stage and crimp it. With this approach no need to spray. You can spread your seed first, then roll down the rye Over the top. The rye will die providing a mulch layer and the summer blend will grow up through the mulch.

Go to growingdeer.tv by grant woods, he uses this method with great success

Like others said, I'd avoid the disking. Terminate the rye when you're ready to plant.

I don’t have a crimper but my plan for this year is the same as the others said. Broadcast into the standing rye, roll, spray. Probably early to mid June.

Last edited:
Have any of you had any luck using a heavy cultipacker to lay down the cereal grains?
I would probably still spray first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have any of you had any luck using a heavy cultipacker to lay down the cereal grains?
I would probably still spray first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It worked ok the few times we tried. Some things will want to stand back up. If you're planning to spray, you should be fine. It wouldn't hurt to flatten it in two directions.

In the pics attached is the foodplot that I planted in rye and brassicas in the fall. I am planning on doing green covers summer release blend here shortly and was unsure of whether to disc this existing crop under or would you broadcast directly into it? Thanks for any advice
6a351cd611495fb23f41af6a1b411d9e.jpg

6b90fe27ccf1f00ae35e82f963265d03.jpg

What is your game plan after the summer release? Will that be your plot thru hunting season?

What is your game plan after the summer release? Will that be your plot thru hunting season?

I plan to broadcast their fall release in the main plot, and then either roll or crimp the standing crop

I plan to broadcast their fall release in the main plot, and then either roll or crimp the standing crop

You must be somewhat south if you’re that green already. I might drag my feet and let that rye go the distance and use that summer release as my fall plot. That’s not a bad looking blend at all.

That is a low carbon blend and will do very well if you put down a full crop of mature (high carbon) rye straw ahead of it.

That saves u a tillage pass, a sprayer pass, and is going to go a long way to drought and weed proofing that spot. You just need a way to lay it down or chop it up when it’s time. Could save u on extra seed and work too.

Go to growingdeer.tv by grant woods, he uses this method with great success

Crazy thing is that much of what Grant does was learned at forums like this. Nothing wrong with that, I’m benefitting from all the wisdom just like he did. But I’m not taking credit for developing the strategies either....

Back