Another Question !😬

You are south so I’m not sure but…. I don’t see benefit of BW late in year. I rotate my plots each year as you mentioned. I agree w an annual clover as they are fast growing and provide food and nutrients to the soil thru the next fall.
I do use a grain but typically overseed late Oct into my brassica.
I don’t understand not using more brassica in your mix. They are some of the best drought tolerant plants w their long taproots and require only minimal moisture for germination. The prep the soil for next year plantings all while providing great food.
And chicory is a must for dry plots. 10# /ac w broadcasting minimal. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are south so I’m not sure but…. I don’t see benefit of BW late in year. I rotate my plots each year as you mentioned. I agree w an annual clover as they are fast growing and provide food and nutrients to the soil thru the next fall.
I do use a grain but typically overseed late Oct into my brassica.
I don’t understand not using more brassica in your mix. They are some of the best drought tolerant plants w their long taproots and require only minimal moisture for germination. The prep the soil for next year plantings all while providing great food.
And chicory is a must for dry plots. 10# /ac w broadcasting minimal. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only real advantage of buckwheat in the fall is that it is a fast germinating annual and the tiny plants are attractive. I'll sometimes even include soybeans in a fall mix for the same reason. Sometimes the coop has leftover soybeans they can sell for next to nothing in the fall. The downside to beans is you can't just surface broadcast them and cultipack like you can with buckwheat.

I plan to broadcast heavy into the standing crop and crimp. I’m a virgin at no till so be gentle……😜

Edit: This entire scenario hinges on the hogs. If they eat the seed or even half of it I’m screwed. Some of those seeds, whether I do my own mix or use the Green Cover mix I posted are too small for the hogs to eat, but they’ll try. The rye seed they can probably get to and eat if they find them before the seeds germinate. A lot of it is gonna depend on timing.

Last edited:
I finished mowing Sunday and it was calling for rain Sunday night/Monday but then 10 days of dry, 90's so I held up. How many days of a soaking rain should I shoot for having the seed sitting there is killing me.

In most cases, I just look for rain in the forecast sometime the next week. The closer in, the more accurate the forecast is. This is not something I'd sweat about, especially if you plan to cultipack after broadcasting.

Thanks. I'll shoot for the next weekend. Hopefully there will be rain the week after next and /or the temperatures begin to be below 90.

Back