Plot in the woods question

Here's a small hidey hole I cleared winter 2017. 50 and 100 yds away are relatively small soybean plantings that had to have electric fence. The ground was cleared and lightly cultivated and planted.
11a_74.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Reactions: Tap
Here's a small hidey hole I cleared winter 2017. 50 and 100 yds away are relatively small soybean plantings that had to have electric fence. The ground was cleared and lightly cultivated and planted.
11a_74.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
Looks good.
Sometimes it's good to have a little shade. In late summer when the other plots in the wide open are sun baked and dormant, those areas with light shade are often lush and attractive.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Can you get some close up pics?
It would be helpful to know just exactly what ypu have growing there. It might actually be more desirable than what you planted.
This was taken this weekend.....I think I have no option but to nuke the entire thing. It's knee high and shading out any possibility of my clover and chicory surviving. There are lots of different plants in there, but I am not seeing any significant browsing on any of it. In the lower right picture you can see where some of the clover and chicory has sprouted, but this was in very limited area. If I had more of that then I would have a chance, but I think a good dose of gly is on the list for next weekend.
triangle plot update.jpg

I'd do a 2,4-d gly mix. If you don't like 2,4-d, be sure to add ammonium sulphate for extra kick. You have your biggest competition up and growing,this would be a good time to burn it down for a fresh start. Judging by the weeds, you're pretty acid.

I'd do a 2,4-d gly mix. If you don't like 2,4-d, be sure to add ammonium sulphate for extra kick. You have your biggest competition up and growing,this would be a good time to burn it down for a fresh start. Judging by the weeds, you're pretty acid.
You mention "judging by the weeds" - you me the types of weeds are telling you the soil is acidic? It is a wooded opening and I figured it would be acidic - I will look into getting some pell lime as well.

Two of our most successful plots were carved out the forest, only 50 yds from bedding area. It took substantial lime but by year two or three, they became our best spots for early season archery. I don’t think they’ve ever been hunted where a Legal buck didn’t come in. Yes, the oak leaves fall, but in my experience, the clover chicory grows right through it. Yes, the plots have some shade, but they have sufficient sunlight and are all the more lush. Make the commitment to get your ph right and be patient. It will pay off big. Both started with ph in the 4s. Our mountain plot which is just under 3/4 of an acre has received 3 pallets of pellet lime. The well plot (1.5 acres) got 4 tons of ag lime.

Last edited:
Something about the leaf aspect...
There are areas where leaves tend to collect and other areas where the leaves tend to blow off.
I have plots that are lined with trees and the level of leaf cover is not consistent from one plot to the next, or even within the plot itself.
Spots that have a slightly higher profile often blow clean. The lower depressions are usually where the leaves collect.
My wooded yard behaves like that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I see stinging nettle, black berry and sorrel, Virginia creeper
So you are saying that these plants are indicative of acidic soil? I'm just asking and trying to learn as I am not very up to speed on my woodland plants and what they can tell us.

Like you said, Nuke it from orbit...only way to be sure. Lime it, fertilize it, plant it. Its a work in progress. In the mean time the deer will eat it.

Put as much lime on it as you possibly can ... no such thing as too much lime in the woods ....mow it ...grow it ...mow it ...that way you kill off the floor fauna and give your existing plot some grow time ...as far as fall leaves ....we use a gas a leaf blower and clear all of our timber food plots free of leaves...takes no time at all ...the same gas blower we use to clear the leaves from out trails into our archery stands ....oh! ...the blower really scares them ....we run out of freezer space every year

Bear

So you are saying that these plants are indicative of acidic soil? I'm just asking and trying to learn as I am not very up to speed on my woodland plants and what they can tell us.
Pretty much ,yes. Blackberry and creeper love acid. Bear is right about the lime. Load it up. On the farm ,we always got advice for 3 ton lime per acre and send us another test next year. PH won't change overnight. It my take several applications ,cultivation, and time. Virgin forest floor is almost always acid in the Midwest. I agree with Bear .Lime it, Mow it. wait a couple weeks spray it ,couple weeks break ground,fertilize,plant brassica's.

Back