Live from the Stand 2018

Thats just crazy, I got sweaty shooting my bow tonight. Good luck I'm a bit envious.

I can't wait to post a "live" update. Only 2 months to go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Envious? Not here. I grew up in the South dodging cottonmouths and fighting skeeters for the first month of bow season. If season was open I'd be out there stinking things up. I'm glad Missouri is sticking to September 15th. I'd be fine with Oct 1 like it used to be.
I've still got some fishing to do!

I’ll stick to western hunting to kick the season off sept 1. I can’t imagine hunting when it’s this hot.

I’m envious of anyone who gets the chance to hunt before me. I also agree, here in the Midwest I start getting the itch as September creeps on and the evening temperature dips. I like the 10/1 start date but don’t really get jazzed up until after Halloween

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I still have a ton of deer farming to do. I can't deer hunt until the last weekend in September. I could be hog hunting, but it's just too hot. It was 98* here today and pretty sure the humidity was 413%, so I'll just wait awhile. My tractor has A/C:)

Envious? Not here. I grew up in the South dodging cottonmouths and fighting skeeters for the first month of bow season. If season was open I'd be out there stinking things up. I'm glad Missouri is sticking to September 15th. I'd be fine with Oct 1 like it used to be.
I've still got some fishing to do!

I don't think folks have any clue how bad the "stink things up" in the early season and ruin any hope of connecting come prime time.

I still have a ton of deer farming to do. I can't deer hunt until the last weekend in September. I could be hog hunting, but it's just too hot. It was 98* here today and pretty sure the humidity was 413%, so I'll just wait awhile. My tractor has A/C:)

Just curious what the temp was like when you shot that goat in your avatar. I've only hunted them in late October and November but a friend in Nebraska is trying to get me to come hunt them with him with crossbows in AUGUST. Can't imagine the heat.

I have hunted the past 2 mornings and evenings from a stand in our south plot trying to get a big boar hog that has taken the plot over...in that time I have ended up spooking 7 deer...think I am going to lay off till season and cameras show me it is time...

I’ll stick to western hunting to kick the season off sept 1. I can’t imagine hunting when it’s this hot.

I’ve bow hunted the mid August archery opener for decades in Utah (8,000’ elevation). I’ve experienced plenty of 90+ degrees and also been routinely snowed on.... High temp hunting can make deer far more water dependent/predictable. Summer patterning can be very successful....and uncomfortable. It takes lots of showering and changes of clothes..but it can be done.

Just curious what the temp was like when you shot that goat in your avatar. I've only hunted them in late October and November but a friend in Nebraska is trying to get me to come hunt them with him with crossbows in AUGUST. Can't imagine the heat.

We almost always go the middle of September. There will still be enough rutting going on to see some traveling bucks and others that are thirsty from chasing does. That particular buck was killed from a permanent blind on a pond that was nearly dry. Easy shot at about 23 yards but I misjudged the distance. Shot him for twenty and clipped the bottom of his heart. It was about 90 that day and I was hustling to get him on ice. In Wyoming you can expect temps between 40 and 90 in September, so you'd better come prepared. That was our first year on a new place and all three of us connected. The next year I was looking forward to hunting the same blind but the pond was dry. The blind one of my friends hunted wasn't there. We finally found it about a quarter mile away wadded up like a crushed beer can. Yes, the wind do blow in Wyo. ;)

It do blow in Nebraska too. Experienced all of that in our 20 years deer hunting in November out there. Been in the 80's and been 30 below.

Dang, just realized this is a 'live' hunting thread and its August!!!Temp dips into the low 90's about dark here this time of year. Scouting is kinda fun but no way am I ready to start the season. Heck I'm worn to the bone as is hunting from October thru January. Good luck !

Dang, just realized this is a 'live' hunting thread and its August!!!Temp dips into the low 90's about dark here this time of year. Scouting is kinda fun but no way am I ready to start the season. Heck I'm worn to the bone as is hunting from October thru January. Good luck !

I'm with you. It's too dang hot to even hunt hogs....

Good luck!! We'll be vacationing for a week in SC in 3 weeks - looking forward to some off season beach time, cooler (maybe) SC weather and a week off work. Hopefully no Hurricanes this year!

no hunting for us in NY till Oct. 1 - still too hot for us then in my opinion - like that 1st week in NOV to be honest - THAT is Bow hunting in NY at its finest.

Back