Drought and Survival

We’re getting tornadoes. Four or five already tonight. Three confirmed on the ground at this time, one of them about 25 miled NW of us. My weather radio is going nuts !:(
No naders up this way that I know of...they were calling for softball size hail and huge wind gusts and tornadoes for our area and all in all it’s just been a pretty gentle rain...stay safe down there!!!

We had an inch and a quarter and the tornadic activity was all N or S of us. It’s a good thing my wife is living right !:D

Sorry to hear about the continued Drought Conditions.

I have heard that Lake Mead is finally starting to come back up by a few inches. They have been in drought for several years now.

One of the years I started a Plot on my place in the Panhandle it had drought all summer while at my house we were right on track and the River was above normal.

Crazy how it is hit or miss sometimes.

Hoping soon you get some relief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I waited an planted all my seed two weeks ago. Hadnt had a rain for 3 months up until then. A couple rains and some fog since. Plots look great. Even those throw n mow look decent this year

Missed another big rain somehow, I’m honestly not sure how this one missed us. We got a quarter

We were supposed to get a good rain today, but no. Rains still continue to miss us, we are beyond dry.

We were supposed to get a good rain today, but no. Rains still continue to miss us, we are beyond dry.
Our fall and winter has been so wet we can't get our work done. If we were Romans we'd run a water aqueduct out to you

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We are finally wet. My gauge is lying down so it won’t freeze, (like we’re gonna get cold weathero_O), but it was raining hard last night for an hour or so then again this morning about 2:00. Sarge woke me up wanting to pee so I obliged him, and I knew it wasn’t gonna take him as long as it usually does because the rain was drumming on that metal roof. On the last rain before this one I caught about 5” or 6” in my pond. I’ll be looking at it tomorrow and see how much I caught last night. We were under a tornado watch and a flash flood watch until 9:00 last night. I’ve had the tornado, I would rather have the flood !:(

I think we are pretty much out of the drought at this point. Every pond I have rehabbed that gets runoff fill has been over the banks at least 3 times and the one I have done that just catches rainfall and not runoff is nearly full. Like Mennoniteman mentioned a lot of times I can’t get the work I need done due to it being too wet right now but still yet I understand we are always just 2 - 3 weeks from a drought again. Winter and Spring time is rain time here but summer and fall are always so dry!

We’re still right in the middle of it, ponds are the lowest I’ve seen in 20 years since moving here. Most everyone around here has sold a significant part of their herds; some have bailed completely and will have to start again. Most of those I know have alternate sources of income fortunately. Dawna was wondering out loud today why we’re having to dust our house so often, I told her it’s the drought. Dust in the air is pretty commonplace now. There has not been water in our ditch since May.

I think we are pretty much out of the drought at this point. Every pond I have rehabbed that gets runoff fill has been over the banks at least 3 times and the one I have done that just catches rainfall and not runoff is nearly full. Like Mennoniteman mentioned a lot of times I can’t get the work I need done due to it being too wet right now but still yet I understand we are always just 2 - 3 weeks from a drought again. Winter and Spring time is rain time here but summer and fall are always so dry!
I hope you guys pull out of it soon! We didn’t get rain soon enough for any of my food plot seed to do any good and everywhere I used the dozer I just threw rye grass on to hold the soil and it is green but that’s about it. Other than the polar vortex that came through and frostbit our chickens we are way too warm for January!

We’re getting some moisture, snowing now and it’s a wet snow. It won’t amount to a lot, but we’ll take it!

We have some chances for rain the next couple of days. We need it desperately…

Back