Drought and Survival

We ended up with right at an inch at the farm, I’d forgotten how much rain has to fall to get an inch. It won’t stop the bleeding at all, but it will help the plots I guess I can say selfishly.

It will definitely get them up and going but we need more to keep them going.

Rain got going pretty hard about 3:30...not sure how much but it did put water in my cleaned out water hole here on the hollow so now I hope to see if some deer come back...

I hope you guys get some relief. It rained pretty hard for a while in NTX today and it looks like 1.15” so far at the far with more coming in S. OK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Today’s rain puts us at 2.9” since June 7th. I still can’t hardly believe that. Also, if we take out four weeks of rain that totaled a little over 10” in May, we’re sitting at less than 9” (that’s rounding up generously) since July 3rd of LAST YEAR. I’m not kidding when I say we’ve become a semi-arid climate here in extreme SE Kansas. I honestly don’t see that changing anytime soon; the rains skirt us again and again and again. This puts the dust bowl to shame of the dirty 30s to shame.

Rain got going pretty hard about 3:30...not sure how much but it did put water in my cleaned out water hole here on the hollow so now I hope to see if some deer come back...
Sounds like you got a LOT more than us Okie. We didn’t really have mud puddles. Good grief, just looked and Tallequah has already gotten over 2” and expected to get another 2”. How the heck does the good rain miss us repeatedly????

Last edited:
Sounds like you got a LOT more than us Okie. We didn’t really have mud puddles. Good grief, just looked and Tallequah has already gotten over 2” and expected to get another 2”. How the heck does the good rain miss us repeatedly????
It rained until 7 pm and then it started raining again about midnight - 3 and then it started again at 7 am and it is pouring here now...

Pretty dry before. I hade a waterhole that had never dried up go completely dry and we have been feeding hay for awhile. It has definitely been a blessing.

In this photo on the right of the picture you can see water circled in red that is the upper left corner of a small pond I built right there so apparently it is full. Great runoff spot right there coming down the draw the bull is walking through.
f3f1e42939e65eb68e99dbd97778d441.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In this photo on the right of the picture you can see water circled in red that is the upper left corner of a small pond I built right there so apparently it is full. Great runoff spot right there coming down the draw the bull is walking through.
f3f1e42939e65eb68e99dbd97778d441.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I hope we're next!!! No runoff whatsoever for us and I think we prolly need it more than anybody this side of the Sahara.

I hope we're next!!! No runoff whatsoever for us and I think we prolly need it more than anybody this side of the Sahara.
I hope you do as well...this photo was taken approximately 30 miles south of here where we live and got about 3.6”...our deer lease is another 30 miles south of that and it got over 4”. I am going to go over to the waterhole I redid up here on the hollow in a few minutes and see how it looks...

My uncle texted that at last check we had 3" of rain in his gauge, my father's app shows 3+", and my app (farmlogs free version) shows 3.35", the band made to our farm for change and then kept coming. my uncle is going around this afternoon to check on some areas to make sure we didn't get any runoffs in our newest plots, or the cedar work areas.

Last night the rain was all north of us, today it's all south of us. I HATE this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope is quickly leaving the building. I'm about to begin believing that kook Gore, that's how frustrating this is...

Well, if it’s any consolation, we got .40” out of the big rain you got a few days ago and .09” yesterday. We are North of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if it’s any consolation, we got .40” out of the big rain you got a few days ago and .09” yesterday. We are North of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have good friends in Beloit, they have gotten more rain than us for going on 18 months now. They average less than half the annual rainfall we get here. Our farming friend has hated the development of dry land corn; he's old school and sees his home as wheat country; it still is wheat country. It's not that they have gotten much more rain than normal, we've just received MUCH less. You live near Manhattan, correct? That just shows how rare widespread, heavy rainfall has been lately.

We have good friends in Beloit, they have gotten more rain than us for going on 18 months now. They average less than half the annual rainfall we get here. Our farming friend has hated the development of dry land corn; he's old school and sees his home as wheat country; it still is wheat country. It's not that they have gotten much more rain than normal, we've just received MUCH less. You live near Manhattan, correct? That just shows how rare widespread, heavy rainfall has been lately.
Close to Manhattan, but we often receive much less than they do. 20 miles makes all the difference.

Back