Camping on land you own

Setters4life

My family has owned property in Middlesex County, VA for the last forty years. We’ve always had it farmed. I’m retired now, live out of state, but would like to travel there and deer and turkey hunt on the property. What are the rules/guidelines for hauling a small pop-up camper, setting up for a few days to a week on the property, just to hunt there? Is it county specific for the laws or by the town where you own the land?

Appreciate any insight you can offer.

I just found some of the town and county guideline documents but geez the files are huge!

My family has owned property in Middlesex County, VA for the last forty years. We’ve always had it farmed. I’m retired now, live out of state, but would like to travel there and deer and turkey hunt on the property. What are the rules/guidelines for hauling a small pop-up camper, setting up for a few days to a week on the property, just to hunt there? Is it county specific for the laws or by the town where you own the land?

I just found some of the town and county guideline documents but geez the files are huge!
I'm not familiar with the exact regulations for Middlesex, but in most of the US if you own your own property (and have legal access to it) you can camp on it temporarily with very little restrictions. This is usually regulated by a certain amount of days or months out of the year, after which it's considered a permanent residence, which triggers more ordinances. A few restrictions to consider that might apply to you are; burn bans and "open burning" & "fire pit" regulations, as in, are open campfires and cooking fires allowed or not. This is easily determined by checking the local regulations. Another highly regulated item is sewage, what happens with wastewater is regulated in most states. While there's not much limitation on going to the bathroom in the woods, a camp with a flush toilet usually requires a holding tank or a sewer system. A third consideration is discharge of firearms, a lot of people who go camping take a gun along, and target shooting is often only allowed within close proximity to a permanent dwelling or camp, with most other shooting falling under hunting regulations.
But to keep it simple, if you own the land you are probably allowed to set up your pop-up and enjoy your own property without asking anyone or obtaining any permit or license of any kind.
I hope this works out well for you and you enjoy your land and your well deserved free time and have some fun times out there in hunting season. I've done this type of thing in the past and have found that doing a do-it-yourself hunt while camping on your own land is one of the most rewarding times I've ever spent in the woods.

I'm not familiar with the exact regulations for Middlesex, but in most of the US if you own your own property (and have legal access to it) you can camp on it temporarily with very little restrictions. This is usually regulated by a certain amount of days or months out of the year, after which it's considered a permanent residence, which triggers more ordinances. A few restrictions to consider that might apply to you are; burn bans and "open burning" & "fire pit" regulations, as in, are open campfires and cooking fires allowed or not. This is easily determined by checking the local regulations. Another highly regulated item is sewage, what happens with wastewater is regulated in most states. While there's not much limitation on going to the bathroom in the woods, a camp with a flush toilet usually requires a holding tank or a sewer system. A third consideration is discharge of firearms, a lot of people who go camping take a gun along, and target shooting is often only allowed within close proximity to a permanent dwelling or camp, with most other shooting falling under hunting regulations.
But to keep it simple, if you own the land you are probably allowed to set up your pop-up and enjoy your own property without asking anyone or obtaining any permit or license of any kind.
I hope this works out well for you and you enjoy your land and your well deserved free time and have some fun times out there in hunting season. I've done this type of thing in the past and have found that doing a do-it-yourself hunt while camping on your own land is one of the most rewarding times I've ever spent in the woods.
Thanks. Kind of what I thought but I intend to check with the township and county. Everyone else in town has been hunting that land, I should too! I posted it in the Spring and now every farm and owner around me is treating me like a Yankee carpetbagger. Bills have been coming to me since 2019 and I’ve been paying the taxes.

I was always a do it by the book guy. Life has taught me, through dealing with bureaucrats over the years, that forgiveness is easier than permission. I don't do anything illegal, immoral or causing danger to others, but for me, unless it is absolutely necessary, I will proceed on my own.
Good luck on getting the locals to stop using your land. It happened here at the Ponderosa in Kansas during 8 years that my father had leased the ground to a farm tenant, it had become "public hunting" and anything goes. After I took over it took a couple years to get it stopped. "No Trespassing" signs got shot, ran over or thrown away. In Kansas, "Hunting by written permission" or purple paint on posts or trees allows wardens and LEO to check hunters for written permission slips and allows them to prosecute the violators. With the "No Hunting" or "No Trespassing" signs, I would have to file charges against the violators. You might check what the best posting is for your area.

I was always a do it by the book guy. Life has taught me, through dealing with bureaucrats over the years, that forgiveness is easier than permission. I don't do anything illegal, immoral or causing danger to others, but for me, unless it is absolutely necessary, I will proceed on my own.
Good luck on getting the locals to stop using your land. It happened here at the Ponderosa in Kansas during 8 years that my father had leased the ground to a farm tenant, it had become "public hunting" and anything goes. After I took over it took a couple years to get it stopped. "No Trespassing" signs got shot, ran over or thrown away. In Kansas, "Hunting by written permission" or purple paint on posts or trees allows wardens and LEO to check hunters for written permission slips and allows them to prosecute the violators. With the "No Hunting" or "No Trespassing" signs, I would have to file charges against the violators. You might check what the best posting is for your area.
Yeah, I put up signs at a certain height, marked the tree with paint. Some are missing already. Guess the spring turkey hunters didn’t like them.

Yeah, I put up signs at a certain height, marked the tree with paint. Some are missing already. Guess the spring turkey hunters didn’t like them.
My situation was that the locals knew my situation. I didn't live there at the time and knew that on Sundays, I wouldn't be there. I had finally had enough and demanded some action from the local warden. He agreed to hide on the farm come Sunday. I went to his office on Monday morning to see what happened and he said there was no one at all. I think he or his supervisor knew who the trespassers were and made a call to them letting them know that Maynard Reece meant business. That was the last major issue I had. I really didn't care that no one was cited, I just wanted it to stop and it did.

Thanks. Kind of what I thought but I intend to check with the township and county. Everyone else in town has been hunting that land, I should too! I posted it in the Spring and now every farm and owner around me is treating me like a Yankee carpetbagger. Bills have been coming to me since 2019 and I’ve been paying the taxes.
Sorry about the mistreatment. Locals think that by treating anybody new to the neighborhood like a Yankee carpetbagger will intimidate new owners, and allow the locals to run the show. Because a person was not born and raised on the same street as the "locals" doesn't mean they're outsider's, rather, it gives the "locals" an excuse to try to intimidate and bully new landowners and control the neighborhood to their own advantage while someone else pays the taxes. Experience teaches that if you don't allow yourself to be intimidated by these "local" bullies, they soon move on to easier pickings and in a few short years as you make a few new "real" local friends, the neighborhood soon considers you as belonging there just like everyone else who came from "somewhere else" to here.
My guidelines for new property owners are;
#1, I will be very polite, but very firm: I'm glad to meet you and I hope we'll be friends, but it's my land and I'll use it as I please, "without needing to inform you what that will be". No, your family didn't hunt it since Abraham Lincoln, and no, that doesn't give you current hunting rights anyway, and no, you can't hunt here, and no, neither can you "just" walk across in hunting season, and no, neither can you walk across when it's not hunting season. That's five no's; No, no, no, no, and no.
#2, I will make good friends with as many of the close neighbors and land-joiners as I can, I need you people as much as you need me, and I will go to significant expense to be friends with you. But no, we won't be friends if we can only be friends if you have hunting rights. Having to meet certain conditions like hunting rights for friendship isn't friendship, it's appeasement.
#3, I will mark the property line well for my neighbors benefit as much as for my own, that way we both know where it is. And I will make a perimeter trail 25-50 feet in from the property line the entire way around my property line if I can. A perimeter trail is as useful as posted signs for keeping people off, trespassers get nervous if they don't when a patroller will come along the perimeter road, and crossing a road to enter gives an honest poacher pause, but the really bad ones of course don't care. These are usually communistic minded individuals who don't own much themselves, hate the freedom of property ownership, and think everything should belong to everyone. Move back to Europe where you came from where there's no property lines because ordinary people don't own anything. The good news is that there's always some people in the neighborhood who respect freedom, and respect you for who you are, and want to be friends. These are usually the people that you meet last in a new neighborhood.

My situation was that the locals knew my situation. I didn't live there at the time and knew that on Sundays, I wouldn't be there. I had finally had enough and demanded some action from the local warden. He agreed to hide on the farm come Sunday. I went to his office on Monday morning to see what happened and he said there was no one at all. I think he or his supervisor knew who the trespassers were and made a call to them letting them know that Maynard Reece meant business. That was the last major issue I had. I really didn't care that no one was cited, I just wanted it to stop and it did.
That's an interesting story. The fact that nobody was apprehended and yet the trespassing stopped was a dead giveaway. Can people see whether you are there or not? For a non-resident home away from home hunting property it's a tremendously huge value being able to hide your vehicle or your presence.

I on land in central VA west of you and Richmond. Regulations are generally governed by the county zoning in the area unless the property is in an incorporated town. My land is zoned A2 which is an agricultural zoning. The zoning tells you what you can and can't "build". As long as you are not trying to build a structure or put in a sceptic system, you will likely have no issue camping on your land. Campers, as long as they are on wheels are not generally covered as structures. As long as you are not talking about land in a development (which may have deed covenants or an HOA), you should be fine.

It is never a bad idea to check the local regs, but unless you are in an incorporated town, you will like be fine just camping.

There's rules for camping on your own land?
Well, camping is a broad term, and the laws that apply may not be not camping rules per se, but rules that might apply nonetheless. Most of these rules are to protect other people, such as lighting fires in dry conditions that might cross property lines, and dumping raw sewage in the creek. Every civilized society has a few regulations, and some less desirable cities with democrat mayors have more than a few.

Honestly, every once in a while my jaw drops. There are quite a few states that are very limiting on what I'd call basic freedoms and rights. I'd seriously never even consider there being rules for camping on your own land. Over-reach. Yes, very glad!
I think we can agree that this country has changed a lot in the almost seventy years that I’ve been here.

If everyone is free to do whatever they want, it is called anarchy and no one is really free from the whims of others. Rights and freedoms are always a balance between my own and the rights and freedoms of others. The closer in proximity to others that we live, the more individual rights conflict. If a guy in an apartment is free to hold a ruckus party all night, his neighbor loses his right to sleep in peace. If the neighbor has the right to sleep in peace, the party guy looses his right to do what he wants.

This balance will always be a struggle.

Interesting conversation. Europe has some very unique land use rules. Some of those societies seem pretty amazing until you start digging in. In many of those countries, land owners are required to provide public access to their private lands. Germany specifically has some strange rules on spending the night outside a village or town. I’m no expert on the nuances but I was led to believe that included NO camping on your own property. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite a bit I disagree with. Just because a neighbor might have a party that disturbs the peace doesn't mean a curfew should be enacted into law to prevent it. Lots of people can have company over without infringing on their neighbors. We should have the freedom to have people over to our apartment until we are irresponsible and disturb our neighbors. At which point we are disturbing the peace and will have to deal with the consequences. But to have blanket laws that prevent what I might (short of being dangerous to others and their property) or might not do on my own place is a bit to much in my opinion.

Back