Country Roads

The deer throughout this area consider Hickory nuts to be a gourmet meal. They leave an alfalfa field and walk thru a hundred apple trees to eat hickory nuts. In other areas of the country people report that deer ignore hickory nuts.

That’s funny, wish our deer sought them out like that. The bear in our woods love the hickory nuts and we always have a pile of them!

The deer throughout this area consider Hickory nuts to be a gourmet meal. They leave an alfalfa field and walk thru a hundred apple trees to eat hickory nuts. In other areas of the country people report that deer ignore hickory nuts.
They can’t crack the hulls on ours...it would take a pretty solid hit with a hammer on an anvil to bust one...gotta be a different species of hickory...only thing that can chew through ours are squirrels...

They can’t crack the hulls on ours...it would take a pretty solid hit with a hammer on an anvil to bust one...gotta be a different species of hickory...only thing that can chew through ours are squirrels...

Okie My Dad had said the same thing. To prove his point Dad soaked them in water overnight and when he still had trouble breaking them the next morning with a hammer he proclaimed see, I told you they are not edible. However I have witnessed the deer eating them over a hundred times just a few feet from my elevated stand. Yes hickory nuts are hard to crack but evidently a deer's jaw strength is incredible.

Okie My Dad had said the same thing. To prove his point Dad soaked them in water overnight and when he still had trouble breaking them the next morning with a hammer he proclaimed see, I told you they are not edible. However I have witnessed the deer eating them over a hundred times just a few feet from my elevated stand. Yes hickory nuts are hard to crack but evidently a deer's jaw strength is incredible.
That may be but they absolutely do not eat hickory nuts here. I know you guys have a softer shelled hickory in the NE because I researched it last time we discussed it. Nothing will eat ours but squirrels and when our acorns don’t make the deer still won’t touch them...I should know because I sit in And around hickory trees every day for over 2 months in the fall and I have seen deer eat a lot of things you wouldn’t think they would eat including carrion but the 1 given here is a hickory nut is safe from deer...

Congrats on the buck! I like the split brows and that little drop tine starting on the left side. Very unique!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Save to say that we still have some thinning to do. With a handful of us hunters we went through a few boxes of 20 gauge shells along with a lot of .22 rounds. Today was also the first time that I’ve ever been on a squirrel hunt with dogs before. I enjoy just going to watch the dogs work as it was amazing. Hopefully now we saved a few more nuts for the deer to eat.

bf3b1dfe8684d9a9cbacb7607ea24d19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope that your wife is good at skinning squirrels.

G

I would have to have a wife first, but will have to make sure she is when it happens! With 4-5 guys skinning and someone gutting it was quick work only about 45 minutes. My grandfather would never let us kill the fox squirrels because he said they were the resident squirrels. Only time that I remember him letting us kill them was when he needed some to tie some flies.

Winter time at the cabin is always a slow time. We close down camp from December to around the end of March. Drain the water and the whole 9 yards. We still wonder up there for a few hours every week or so just to check out everything, along with putting out a little feed over the winter to help out the game. One thing I have really became fond of is planting trees. This year I insulated a little shed we had under our porch and turned it into my grow room. I got have a space heater running that keeps it 70 degrees on the dot! With most of my seeds coming from folks on here, my trees are coming in strong!

163d2355d57df6c90554a24f4d51d92c.jpg

c4e7bf3a151489d7b015ab36cd861c71.jpg

The chinkapins were my first to germinate. They are about ready to be moved to a one gallon root pouch.

0ae158fb736fc23fd35fee03c4f876f2.jpg

My favorite trees the chestnuts are in the same boat as the chinkapins!

71e6679ec1c797f21671816f19f4aeb1.jpg

Half of these are pin oaks and the other half are chestnut oaks.

09d0a9af056b0d6c3ff360ffdef961ae.jpg

The sawtooths have been the late bloomers, they have just started to pop in the last 2 weeks!

I learned last year that the persimmons are very late to germinate. I have some of those in the pots on the ground in dirt and keeping them moist. I also have some burr oaks, pawpaws, black oaks and Japanese dogwoods that are potted and will take the place of some of my others that get moved to a one gallon root pouch.

Nice work on the trap line, you have done well this year!

Congrats on your buck too!

Must have used a submarine to catch the fish. Rain has been relentless.

Getting deep enough is the hardest part. Found a good hole and had a split shot to get my olive wooly bugger deep enough and caught 4 out of the same hole. This time of year if I catch one I normally catch a handful because they all school up together.

Back