2020 Live from the Stand

Couple of guys are up at our club. I couldn't do it this year. Too hot and wife wanted to celebrate our anniversary this weekend since it's the middle of the week next week. Good luck!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

I did that early, buck in velvet, hunt once with my father. We went with an outfitter who talked a good game but the hunt was less then desirable. We didn’t see a deer and his idea of food plots were bags of corn.

Have you ever killed a buck in velvet?

I did that early, buck in velvet, hunt once with my father. We went with an outfitter who talked a good game but the hunt was less then desirable. We didn’t see a deer and his idea of food plots were bags of corn.

Have you ever killed a buck in velvet?

I have but it was a long time ago. I shot some young bucks in velvet when I was new to hunting. I have no desire to shoot another velvet buck, but I will shoot one this year if I get a chance because I need venison.

I have but it was a long time ago. I shot some young bucks in velvet when I was new to hunting. I have no desire to shoot another velvet buck, but I will shoot one this year if I get a chance because I need venison.

Why isn’t there a desire to shoot one in velvet? Just the weather and bugs you have to sit through for a chance at one?

We tried it one more time a few years after with another outfitter in SC. He was more upfront about sitting over corn and what the early hunt would be like. I did see a group of buck opening morning but it was so foggy I couldn’t get a clear look to shoot. We also saw doe throughout the hunt.

IMG_0985.JPG

I can’t believe it - I get to sit in my favorite stand on the second day of the season. This stand requires a north wind, and we don’t usually get one of those in August.

I’m after a big 8 pointer that was still in velvet as of yesterday. I don’t usually shoot bucks in velvet but I will shoot this one

First deer just came out. Looks like a 2.5 year old 8 pointer in velvet. I love this stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I’ve seen 5 bucks so far - 4 in velvet and 1 in hard antler. No shooters but two of them are nice deer. The sun just went down behind the trees so I’m no longer blinded.

IMG_0988.JPG

That’s all she wrote. I was very tempted to shoot a nice 4 year old 6 pointer, but I decided to keep waiting on the 5 year old 8 pointer. Saw 9 bucks total, some mottled ducks, a couple of coons at the base of my stand, and a beautiful sunset. That water is about 6” deep - it’s a pretty high tide tonight.

Thanks for taking us along, it’s really early in the year to be able to get a fix like this! The before and after pic of the tide is very cool to this Midwesterner.

It was 101* here today, but Sarge and I managed to check the cams on my mineral blocks, change batteries on my fish feeder, and load my portable air compressor on the back of my F350 in prep for mowing on the lease tomorrow. We did that early while it was just in the middle 80s. :eek: That’s as close to deer hunting as I’ll get until October.

I did review vids from my game cams in the comfort of the a/c though....:)

Cut I’ll give it to y’all you are tough hunting in this weather. I had to go down to manning sc yesterday to pick up a piece of equipment and I was out of the truck for half an hr tops strapping down and got completely soaked with sweat. I can’t fathom hunting when it’s that hot! I’m not tough enough I guess.
I’ve been blessed to kill two mule deer in velvet I think it be cool to add a whitetail in velvet to the collection but I’m gonna have to go to Wyoming where it’s cooler I guess! Good luck hope you get your target buck.

The hunting has been a slower than I expect for this time of year, but I think it’s because I have so much food available across the farm. Standing corn, picked corn, cowpeas, soybeans, pears, and sawtooths in two spots have given the deer plenty of options. The other factor is the primary wind direction - SW. My best stands are set up for some type of N wind.

I set a new trail camera up on a different part of the farm just to see what’s going on, and this guy showed up. I really hope he can survive two more years. I think he is only 3.5.

IMG_1058.JPG

107 on the temp gauge. Nice. Have you noticed bucks moving midday alot? On our place in Orangeburg we are seeing a ton of buck activity on camera between noon and three o'clock. Usually don't see that till rut time.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

The hotter the temps, the more midday movement I get on cam with bucks. Have seen it several years in a row now

The hunting has been a slower than I expect for this time of year, but I think it’s because I have so much food available across the farm. Standing corn, picked corn, cowpeas, soybeans, pears, and sawtooths in two spots have given the deer plenty of options. The other factor is the primary wind direction - SW. My best stands are set up for some type of N wind.

I set a new trail camera up on a different part of the farm just to see what’s going on, and this guy showed up. I really hope he can survive two more years. I think he is only 3.5.

View attachment 19766

He has some nice brows Cut !

Do you ever see tailing redfish from that stand when the tides up? Thats what i would be scanning for.

On really high flood tides (the day the pic was taken was a 7’ 2” tide), I’m sure redfish are in the area. The whole property is surrounded by prime tailing habitat.

Back