2020 Live from the Stand

My son killed this 9 point this afternoon that we believe to be a 4 year old. He got to try out a new rifle I bought him for his birthday...:)

nOcsB7O.jpg
Thats a dandy NH! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Breezy and chilly in the mountains with colder temperatures on the way. Getting close to prime time for our area (peak breeding November 22nd). Saw three spikes today and two 2-year-olds. A spike gave me a 5 yard photo op. I’ll add a picture if Tapatalk starts working again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took some time to walk the borders with the high wind yesterday. The view didn’t disappoint, but I didn’t see a single deer. Saw four this morning, but the buck tending the doe wasn’t the one I am after.

This is the valley that likely was home to Daniel Boone’s Station Camp. There’s some debate, but I’m certain he looked at it from one of the nearby hilltops.

Image1605574109.069097.jpg

Took some time to walk the borders with the high wind yesterday. The view didn’t disappoint, but I didn’t see a single deer. Saw four this morning, but the buck tending the doe wasn’t the one I am after.

This is the valley that likely was home to Daniel Boone’s Station Camp. There’s some debate, but I’m certain he looked at it from one of the nearby hilltops.

View attachment 20510
Might want to read the book The Frontiersman. Historical account of an early explorer in Daniels time and the quest of Cane Land and his travels to much of my WV, into Pittsburgh area of PA, along the Ohio into both borders, and eventually into the Cane country. I grew up within sight of one of his original trapping encampments in WV on the Kanawha where he was nearly killed by Indians, and not far from the Battle of Point Pleasant he was involved in. Be ready to read some gruesome treatment by both the Indians and Settlers toward each other. Eye opener in how the land of the Ohio and its tributaries were settled.

Quite the evening...I had a SW wind which is a killer for most of our place so I almost decided to sit in my WiFi stand which is just about 70 feet from our house and is only probably 20 yards from where my Grandson Eli killed his big deer a few weeks back but being the gotta get back in there where the deer are kind of guy that I am I ended up in our south plot which is maybe 200 yards from our house. I had what I thought was a young doe bring this 4 point buck in...

89648dfa3e0319870d6f3198b433a222.jpg

But the doe ended up being a buttonhead when they got closer to me...

a9a77e6a6418264f1b239b1f58696715.jpg

At dark I got down and headed toward our house which is across the county road from the south plot. Between our house and the county road years ago I clear cut and replanted in pines and let the stumps I cut all sprout to create a wall of brush between our house and the road for privacy. When I got close to the road to cross I could hear a buck running a doe through that brush...he was grunting loudly and they were running all through that. I stood at the edge of the road and they finally went east of me and crossed the road into my neighbors place and I could barely make them out in their pole light going back and forth across the county road. A car came down the road and spooked them back my way and as I was walking on to our house down the drive they were right beside me in the woods chasing. As soon as I got on our porch they were 40 yards away in that brush I mentioned running circles again. I could not tell if it was my target or another large buck. What I do know is that chase began in our backyard where I was originally going to hunt just a few feet from our house. I wish I could get out of my own head sometime and just sit that stand like I need to. My wife has killed multiple big bucks in our yard during rifle and my grandson killed a real good one there as well but it’s real hard to sit right next to the house if you know what I mean...lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish I could get out of my own head sometime and just sit that stand like I need to. My wife has killed multiple big bucks in our yard during rifle and my grandson killed a real good one there as well but it’s real hard to sit right next to the house if you know what I mean...lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Brother has the same issues. He had a stand you could almost see from his house where the Deer funnel past every morning coming from the corn and grain fields on their way to the hemlock bottom to bed. He had shot several Bucks from it and has missed a few really good ones from Buck Fever.

Yet he has to drive the 4-wheeler to the outer edges of his property to hunt. then he complains that his neighbors hunt right on top of him while he is setting 50 yards from the property line and they are too. Had to laugh one morning I hunted with him to see both neighbors in their Orange suits setting in stands just over the Property Lines and all within 75 yards of each other. They all have lots of land to hunt on but choose to set near that one draw because I shot lots of Bucks there 20+ years ago when I hunted there. Of course the Pines that they filtered through down that draw from the Grain Fields are now all grown and non longer good cover and the Grain fields are gone too, but Traditions are hard to break.

Like you said, sometimes it's hard to get out of our own heads.

Live from the deep woods! With my raked trails I was able to get here silent as a ninja. I could hear deer walking in the leaves in different areas on my way in but they never detected me...

e9016d619508a1d0ab55cffab2c2b6ac.jpg

This could be your big morning when that new out of the area 5 yr old buck shows up!

My Brother has the same issues. He had a stand you could almost see from his house where the Deer funnel past every morning coming from the corn and grain fields on their way to the hemlock bottom to bed. He had shot several Bucks from it and has missed a few really good ones from Buck Fever.

Yet he has to drive the 4-wheeler to the outer edges of his property to hunt. then he complains that his neighbors hunt right on top of him while he is setting 50 yards from the property line and they are too. Had to laugh one morning I hunted with him to see both neighbors in their Orange suits setting in stands just over the Property Lines and all within 75 yards of each other. They all have lots of land to hunt on but choose to set near that one draw because I shot lots of Bucks there 20+ years ago when I hunted there. Of course the Pines that they filtered through down that draw from the Grain Fields are now all grown and non longer good cover and the Grain fields are gone too, but Traditions are hard to break.

Like you said, sometimes it's hard to get out of our own heads.
You're so right. An important component of successfully hunting a property is the need to "switch it up" sometimes.

It’s been great so far...had today been this coming Saturday (firearms season). I do believe I would be done right now with one of those stranger to our place bucks...out of range through the trees for bow. So far 4 does and 2 bucks...

Live from the deep woods! With my raked trails I was able to get here silent as a ninja. I could hear deer walking in the leaves in different areas on my way in but they never detected me...

e9016d619508a1d0ab55cffab2c2b6ac.jpg

Do you get right in there after leaf drop and rake them out? Bushhog, rake or leaf blower?

Do you get right in there after leaf drop and rake them out? Bushhog, rake or leaf blower?

d49ae1bceb0fc7a9a40e1b9d5a9536cc.jpg

91d7f4fa16cb20f4b13efd34711f6134.jpg

After leaf drop I come in midday and rake all the trails with the tractor and even to some of my stands. I rake around the base of my tree with a hand rake. I can travel all the way through our place silently this way.

Back