Sprayer battery

coolbrze0

I've got a 25 gal. sprayer for my orchard trees mounted on my Grizzly & realized the battery is under the front rack (which I have a basket mounted to) so hooking up to the battery is going to be a pain. Was thinking of just purchasing another small battery & putting that in the basket when I spray. Any size battery in particular I should get? Run time will be about 45 minutes every 10-14 days so not sure if one kind of battery that's able to be charged between sprays (deep cycle?) is better than another... Any help is appreciated upload_2022-8-25_13-29-55.gif:)

You may want to share the specifics of the pump on the sprayer. Some draw more power than others.

I use an external marine group 24 battery for mine but my situation is probably different than most. I have a bass boat and when my trolling motor batteries get weak enough to replace, I replace the starting motor battery at the same time even though it’s still good and use that battery for my sprayer. That’s just the way I do it because I don’t want to be stranded on the water because of a bad battery.

Correction - Mine is a 15 gal sprayer. Not 25. Have yet to drain this battery spraying though.

I have a cigarette lighter plug on mine, just plug it into the dash and spray. I sprayed several plots today as a matter of fact. I have a 60 gallon pto spray rig too but I find this one to be more handy in some of the narrow plots that we have, pipelines and power line. It’s a 25 gallon. It used to be on a trailer and I used it to spray my yard. Due to an….uh….accident:eek::D the trailer got messed up so I mounted it on a couple 2x6s and it’s a handy little rig 7B1C340C-1E34-4C36-896A-89DBC9E1E42D.jpeg

I am looking at the same thing for my ATV. I use it a lot for spraying, and I was getting into performance issues after running the sprayer a lot. The 4 wheeler would just die when left to idle. I am planning on putting a mount for a deep cycle in the front rack with a quick connect ran to the back rack for the sprayer, seeder etc. If I found something that didn't take too much space I might even wire the winch to it. Triple C how big is that battery? Does it use a regular battery charger or some sort of trickle charger?

I am looking at the same thing for my ATV. I use it a lot for spraying, and I was getting into performance issues after running the sprayer a lot. The 4 wheeler would just die when left to idle. I am planning on putting a mount for a deep cycle in the front rack with a quick connect ran to the back rack for the sprayer, seeder etc. If I found something that didn't take too much space I might even wire the winch to it. Triple C how big is that battery? Does it use a regular battery charger or some sort of trickle charger?
Hauling a spare battery on an ATV to run stuff seems redundant when you've already got a battery and an alternator on it. I'm wondering if you have a bad battery in your ATV? I have a spinner seeder, a sprayer, and a winch, all of which are run off of my ATV battery, and I never had a problem when my battery was ok. Like drycreek said, put a pigtail plug in the battery and plug the sprayer in to use it. ATV's are notorious for slowly draining batteries, which take the life out of the battery when they sit close to empty for several days. I now use the same plug that runs the sprayer to plug the ATV in to a trickle charger when not using it. Use a Battery Tender Jr to keep the battery maintained when not using it, which keeps the battery healthy so that you have full power available. I also plug in all of my other stuff like my tractor, riding mower, golf cart, skid loader etc. when not using them. It's much cheaper than buying new batteries all the time.

My current battery is less than six months old. It does set a lot more than it runs. All my stuff except the winch is set up with the plugs and unhooked before leaving. Might have to check into a battery tender.

My current battery is less than six months old. It does set a lot more than it runs. All my stuff except the winch is set up with the plugs and unhooked before leaving. Might have to check into a battery tender.
It's interesting that even right after I use my ATV, when I plug in the battery tender jr it will charge for a bit. The worst thing for a rechargeable battery is not using it. I've had 6 month old batteries go bad from sitting too much.

It's interesting that even right after I use my ATV, when I plug in the battery tender jr it will charge for a bit. The worst thing for a rechargeable battery is not using it. I've had 6 month old batteries go bad from sitting too much.

Seems like four wheelers are the biggest culprits. At one time I had a Polaris Ranger as well as a Polaris Sportsman 500. Every time I tried to use the quad I had to charge the battery. I know I didn’t use it as much as the Ranger but it would discharge so quickly it was ridiculous. I never had that many battery problems with any side by side and I’ve owned Mules, a Kubota, the Polaris, and now a CanAm. I don’t use the CanAm much but have never had to jump it but once and that was when someone left the key on. I use my spray rig quite a bit and run the winch each time I load it and unload it. A winch draws quite a bit of amperage and I’ve winched trees off of my trails, once pulled my F150 up a hill when it was so low on gas it wouldn’t run:eek: (dumbass move) and it has never died. I’d see if I couldn’t get a better battery, maybe a lithium if they are available in a size that would fit ?

I keep a marine deep cycle battery in the back of my gator. I can run the Herd spreader or sprayer off of it then I hook it up to a trickle charger every few weeks.

I guess I could use the cigarette lighter on the Gator to power this stuff…

I keep a marine deep cycle battery in the back of my gator. I can run the Herd spreader or sprayer off of it then I hook it up to a trickle charger every few weeks.

I guess I could use the cigarette lighter on the Gator to power this stuff…
A cigarette lighter is sometimes wired with lighter wires that restrict voltage, and you think you have a bad battery or alternator but it's just wired to light. I wire 12 volt connectors directly to the battery terminals on all my stuff, just make sure that there's a fuse somewhere in the harness.
shopping

Thanks guys, ended up going w/ an external battery, works great so far!

Another question... I've only got a 15' hose on it (Chapin 97500 25 gal sprayer) & was wondering if I could add another 10' of hose & if it would still spray well? I'm guessing I'm going to lose some distance/velocity since it's more resistance the pump will have to push through but if anyones done that... Also wondering if I could put an inline swivel between the 2 hoses so it would spin & not twist up as much? Would just make it a tad easier spraying around some of my larger fruit trees & spraying for Carpenter Bees & stink bugs on the cabin...

Thanks guys, ended up going w/ an external battery, works great so far!

Another question... I've only got a 15' hose on it (Chapin 97500 25 gal sprayer) & was wondering if I could add another 10' of hose & if it would still spray well? I'm guessing I'm going to lose some distance/velocity since it's more resistance the pump will have to push through but if anyones done that... Also wondering if I could put an inline swivel between the 2 hoses so it would spin & not twist up as much? Would just make it a tad easier spraying around some of my larger fruit trees & spraying for Carpenter Bees & stink bugs on the cabin...
The hose on my 25 gallon sprayer was 25' from factory. I wouldn't think that lengthening the hose to 25' would make a noticeable difference.

Back