Diesel Pump Recommendations

yoderjac

Years ago, we bought a couple hundred gallon tank for off road diesel at the farm. We installed a 115/120 volt pump. Over the years, I think we had to replace the pump twice and it failed a couple years ago a third time. My buddy called the company and they said we were doing nothing wrong that they just wear out. They sent him a rebuild kit and it has been working every since.

I decided I wanted a similar setup for my retirement property. The stupid design of my Kioti had the fuel cap in the middle of the hood, so I need to stand on the front tire to fill it. I'm too old to mess with 5 gal cans like that, and I can't use a hand pump while standing on the tire. So, I'm looking for either a 115/120 V or a 12 volt pump. I really have no need for it to be mobile, so 115/120 would be more convenient. They are a bit more expensive, but I'd need a charger and battery for a 12 volt version making the cost about the same.

Any suggestions on electric fuel pumps that have lasted for you?

I picked up a used tank today. The guy said his dad used it for heating oil. Other then emptying any residual I can get out, do I need to wash it out in some way before use? If so, with what? It had an elevated rack that was in need of support, but when I got out there to see it, it was setup for 1 1/4" black pipe legs, so I decided to go that route. It is setup up to stand with the thin side vertical, even with legs. I can work with that. Rather than painting it, I'm thinking about building some kind of shade for it instead.

I have a 12v fuel pump left over from my days as a contractor and I just run it from my tractor battery or my truck battery. Just put some alligator clips on the wires and connect it up. I would just rinse the tank out with diesel, it and fuel oil are not that far apart. My tank rides on the front of my tractor trailer so that I have fuel when I’m working at the lease.

I bought a used 275 heating oil tank standing upright on edge on pipe legs just like yours. A local tractor repair guy painted it, and I bought a Fill rite hand crank pump for it, extended the fill hose to twice as long and set it in the front corner of the pole shed. I pull the tractor alongside, put the nozzle in the fuel tank and give it ten cranks per gallon, looking on the gauge to determine how many gallons I need. After a bit the crank shaft started leaking, I pulled it off and the O-ring was pinched when they assembled it in China, a new O-ring and it doesn't leak since. My shoulders aren't the best but I can still turn the crank, a powered pump was too much trouble and expense for me. They are $250 on Amazon, here's the link;

1693999689529.png

I have a 12v fuel pump left over from my days as a contractor and I just run it from my tractor battery or my truck battery. Just put some alligator clips on the wires and connect it up. I would just rinse the tank out with diesel, it and fuel oil are not that far apart. My tank rides on the front of my tractor trailer so that I have fuel when I’m working at the lease.
Wow, you have an 18 wheeler tractor trailer to work on the lease? You da man. You are the envy of all of us! Or are you just saying the trailer you pull behind your farm tractor...

I bought a used 275 heating oil tank standing upright on edge on pipe legs just like yours. A local tractor repair guy painted it, and I bought a Fill rite hand crank pump for it, extended the fill hose to twice as long and set it in the front corner of the pole shed. I pull the tractor alongside, put the nozzle in the fuel tank and give it ten cranks per gallon, looking on the gauge to determine how many gallons I need. After a bit the crank shaft started leaking, I pulled it off and the O-ring was pinched when they assembled it in China, a new O-ring and it doesn't leak since. My shoulders aren't the best but I can still turn the crank, a powered pump was too much trouble and expense for me. They are $250 on Amazon, here's the link;

View attachment 26072
A hand crank won't work for me. Not only am I too lazy, I have to stand on the front tire of the tractor to reach the fill point.

I use a hand pump, but if you find a good electrical pump please post it here. Turning that damn handle 400 times to fill up a 40 gallon tank gets old!

You can't elevate it enough to let gravity work? That's how ours are.
I guess I could rig something up, but the fittings are all on the same side. It would make it a pain to fill, if I got it high enough to be above my tractor fill. They used it for fuel oil and had it elevated on a rack. The rack needed a bit more support, but when I saw it had threads for legs, I didn't take the rack. I think I'd rather have a pump setup like the one we have at the pine far,m.

Wow, you have an 18 wheeler tractor trailer to work on the lease? You da man. You are the envy of all of us! Or are you just saying the trailer you pull behind your farm tractor...
No big rig MM, that’s just what I call my trailer that hauls my tractor to differentiate it from the one I haul my CanAm on. It’s just a 20’ pipe top trailer that I bought in ‘93. I have reworked the brakes once, rewired it once, replaced the Bulldog hitch, and put a new floor in it about a year ago. I would say I’ve gotten my $2,250 back. I could probably sell it for $3K right now since the prices have skyrocketed.

I installed feet on the diesel tank and used a power washer to clean the outside. I was able to roll it on the dollies over to the edge of the barn and use the hoist to lift it. After it dried, I sprayed it white.

5dde5b2a-b818-41c8-862c-812c7e742508.jpg

Now I need to figure out exactly where I want to put it and do the site prep. I'll probably build some kind of shading for it.

In a previous life, I was in the fuel business, and one of the services we provided was diesel fuel tank inspections. You wouldn't think ittoo much to storing diesel fuel and properly setting up a tank, but there is, and there's lot of opportunity out there for improvement. Here are some pointers for setting up a tank if anyone wants it.

*Have a white tank (reduces condensation)
*Keep it out of the sun if you can (reduces condensation)
*Have a vented cap
*Be sure the end of your tank that has the suction tube is higher than the other end. You want your water and sediments to be isolated away from the pumps suction tube or outlet.

*Wait 24 hours before drawing fuel after it's filled so water and sediments settle out.
*Use a premium diesel additive. You need that to put the lubricity back in, boost your cetane, demulsify your water, emulsify your water, add detergency, prevent oxidation, stabilizer, etc. Plain #2 fuel ain't gonna cut it in newer engines, and the efficiency boost pays for the additive.
*Keep it full if you can. Empty interior tank space attracts condensation.
*If possible, have a pipe and ball valve on the other end so you can periodically draw off the water and sediment.
*If you're in the north, put a double shot of anti-gel in before you fill it for winter. It has to be warm when you put it in, like north of 30 degrees.
*Avoid Fill-Rite pumps. Pure garbage.

That's what I can remember.

In a previous life, I was in the fuel business, and one of the services we provided was diesel fuel tank inspections. You wouldn't think ittoo much to storing diesel fuel and properly setting up a tank, but there is, and there's lot of opportunity out there for improvement. Here are some pointers for setting up a tank if anyone wants it.

*Have a white tank (reduces condensation)
*Keep it out of the sun if you can (reduces condensation)
*Have a vented cap
*Be sure the end of your tank that has the suction tube is higher than the other end. You want your water and sediments to be isolated away from the pumps suction tube or outlet.

*Wait 24 hours before drawing fuel after it's filled so water and sediments settle out.
*Use a premium diesel additive. You need that to put the lubricity back in, boost your cetane, demulsify your water, emulsify your water, add detergency, prevent oxidation, stabilizer, etc. Plain #2 fuel ain't gonna cut it in newer engines, and the efficiency boost pays for the additive.
*Keep it full if you can. Empty interior tank space attracts condensation.
*If possible, have a pipe and ball valve on the other end so you can periodically draw off the water and sediment.
*If you're in the north, put a double shot of anti-gel in before you fill it for winter. It has to be warm when you put it in, like north of 30 degrees.
*Avoid Fill-Rite pumps. Pure garbage.

That's what I can remember.
If I'm to avoid fill-rite, what do you recommend?

I ended up going with a GPI. Specifically,

GPI M-1115 Fuel Transfer Pump, 12 GPM, 115V-AC, Manual Shut-Off Unleaded Nozzle, 12' Hose, Spin Collar Mount, Adjustable Suction Pipe (110000-81)​

I was able to get it on Amazon for $415 + Tax with free shipping. I just checked and today it is now $520. Not sure how I got lucky. Let's hope it holds up.

I have no need for fast fill. I'll just be using it for my tractors and mini-excavator.

Hmmmm, my 12V pump is over 20 years old and still pumping, matter of fact I used it Tuesday. I think it’s a Fill-rite but I can’t remember. Maybe they were better years ago. It does sound like it’s about to sling its guts but it still pumps well.

The pump came in and I started setting it up. I could only go so far as I haven't poured the slab for the tank yet. I don't think I want to fully install the pump until the tank is in final position. I ordered a Goldenrod filter which came it late today. I'll need to take some measurement and get some pipe to install that. I hope to get a chance to work on things tomorrow. I'll try to take some pics as things progress.

Here is a couple pics:

9f3cbd88-7ec4-4f72-a5e5-90ac2d853b1d.jpg

This is the form where I intend to pour the slab tomorrow.

cb57496e-bc13-4235-8029-fff657ef7fae.jpg

This is the pump and filter.

I poured the slab today by hand. I didn't bother doing a fine float since it will be covered by the shade cover.

74c877d1-2811-4506-a526-75a9029d383e.jpg

Got it all setup today:

47f60ea5-6c5d-4cfb-a7fa-f7d03eeb0922.jpg

Fortunately, I had a switched outlet in just the right place:

73c5a735-9aad-44a6-9ac7-e69bf31fb1d1.jpg

The nest step is to build a shade structure around it.

Last edited:
Back