Preparing new site for Food Plot

Stevieray

My plan is to brush hog the area as short as I can and then disc cut material into soil. I would then apply glyphosate to any new growth allow to die prior to tilling/disc soil before planting buckwheat..

I will be planting buckwheat as green manure and then till or disc buckwheat into soil while it is flowering.

Should I do a soil test and add lime prior to planting buckwheat or add lime before planting the fall food plots?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I would do a soil test now. Apply lime as recommended by the soil test, THEN disc it all in.

Basically: add lime as soon as possible in the process. It takes a while to affect the soil.

I would do a soil test now. Apply lime as recommended by the soil test, THEN disc it all in.

Basically: add lime as soon as possible in the process. It takes a while to affect the soil.

How reliable are those pronged Ph Testers? I submitted soil samples at the beginning of the week and it may take a few weeks to get the results back. I tested one of my sites with one of those pronged meters and I got a 6.8 reading. I would rather not wait but then again don't want to burn the cash that could be spent more wisely elsewhere.

How reliable are those pronged Ph Testers? I submitted soil samples at the beginning of the week and it may take a few weeks to get the results back. I tested one of my sites with one of those pronged meters and I got a 6.8 reading. I would rather not wait but then again don't want to burn the cash that could be spent more wisely elsewhere.

I don't have much experience with those pronged ph testers. Sorry. I would wait for the full soil sample report before applying lime. It's worth waiting a couple of weeks to do it right (that holds true for pretty much everything related to food plots/habitat management in my experience).

What is the best warm season cover crop to plant in Oklahoma. I want to suppress weed growth and condition the soil. I have been lead to believe Buckwheat is what I should plant.

What have others used for this purpose?

I'd second buckwheat. We've used it for years in sandy soil in Wisconsin and have seen good, steady improvement over the years.

We got buck wheat growth out of 4.8 ph soils with decent attraction. Of course, growth and attraction increased 4 fold after lime was given a chance to do its thing. I personally wouldn't hesitate to get a couple tons of lime spread. Lime takes time..... I've seen the benefits first hand of grain (corn and beans) production of surface spread lime vs disced in lime--the difference was significant even for food plots purposes. Of course, I deal with highly acidic soils to begin with. I also would rely on complete soil analysis before ordering seeds and other amendments. Just my .0.02.

Back