Help for a newbie

boot

My family has had some property for a while now but recently have been looking at getting some habitat for deer and pheasant going. The property is located in Western KS (Hot & dry but can get water to plots) we rotate out every year between corn & milo on the irrigated farm land, so food isn't an issue for the wildlife, but am really in need of some good thick bedding grass/cover. I am new to habitat management & planting so looking for information & advice on honestly almost every aspect of this.

This spring we have several strips of ground that have been nothing but weeds or failed food plots that have been sitting idle for several years and would like to get some grass planted in them. Did a soil test: Phosphorus: Very High/86ppm; Calcium/ Adequate 3214ppm; PH 7.0; Organic matter 4.9%.

Any pointers on good grass that will grow well in those kind of conditions, like I said we can get water to those strips. Also for site prep what is recommended? Tractor is currently undergoing some major work so any implements that can run off an atv are ideally what I am looking for. Thanks everyone!

Well, I question how the rotation of corn and milo equate to well fed deer. I'm not saying deer are not well fed, but milo covers a small period in the fall when the seed heads ripen and corn provides good winter food until it is harvested. Both corn and milo provide good cover from at least summer until they are harvested.

Your strips of ground that have been "nothing but weeds" is likely good deer food if they are a healthy mix of different native weeds and not dominated by a single noxious weed.

Weeds, if managed correctly can be great deer food and cover. Before planting WSNG, I'd watch the video at the beginning of this thread: Weed Management Thread

Most warm season grasses do best when drilled if you decide to go that route.

Given your description, and depending on your objectives, I'd consider managing weed for food and cover and perhaps planting some plots that complement the sorghum and corn. Most farmers will rotate corn or sorghum with a legume like soybeans to add N back into the soil.

Best of luck whichever direction you go.

In your area the winters are bad enough that not all NWSGs will stand well through it without being flattened. Paul Knox was an outstanding expert in standability of NWSGs in the Midwest, and he did a lot of research in that area. We have a section on this forum devoted to him and his work, which also includes his expertise on food plotting. Go to the following link:

I can tell you that for cover you will be well served by a tall variety of switchgrass that is an ecotype for your area. Check with some locals who know about switchgrass ecotype, and they should be able to help. When you plant, you should mix in a few forbs (broadleaf weeds) that are desirable for deer. That way you have great food and cover together.

Below is my prairie thread that might be of help to you, but remember that my winters here in South Central KY are not nearly as severe as yours will be. Lots of species that stand well for me might not stand well for you.

Best wishes

I'd maybe look into shrubs that are going to feed and give cover to the birds and deer. If you've got big areas that you want your grasses, make some edges with shrubs and break those bigger areas up. "Create edges".... whatever you do, have fun and good luck

There are several places to start your research. I would suggest contacting a Pheasants Forever Farm Bill Biologist for your area(see attachment). That person will know specifics for your area and resources. Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks is another good contact. The local NRCS will have grass drills that can be rented.

Attachments

• PFFarmBillBio.png
    PFFarmBillBio.png
    349.7 KB · Views: 6
My brother and I used to pheasant hunt some ground near Greensburg. It was a wildlife paradise — quail, pheasants, rabbits, and deer were everywhere. Probably 10-15 years before someone put 30 yard wide buffer strips of cedar trees and plum thickets on the edges of every field. They also planted wheat every fall into the corners the irrigation pivots didn’t hit.

Back