Pinetag's Plot - 43 acres in Virginia

Can anybody confirm what this plant is? According to the "picture this" app it is Japanese Honeysuckle and is a good food source for deer. Is it invasive?

a92fde9a74a4e642ab23bd17bce17fb1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Got my delineation survey done today and the results were a little surprising. The places I expected to be designated as wetland (according to the map online) were not and the places i expected to be purely upland actually had a few low lying depressions that were wetlands. They are old skidder tracks that have transformed into wetlands over the last 30-40 years and some are only a couple yards wide and 10-20 yards long. I was surprised the areas could be so small but some of them met all of the criteria to be officially wetlands. There are 3 requirements...1) hydrology - the amount of saturation in the soil. 2) vegetation - certain plants that tend to grow in wetland environment. 3) soil - sediment deposits that are breaking down over time, which causes the soil to turn light grey. Here is one of the soil samples they took.
0f13656078763c645676f3221f6e08b8.jpg

I also got my gates up and finished the dog pen today. This one is up by the driveway.
e6b5dc740c54930fe25fbbc22416e668.jpg
ac8fc005c6ae9dafa36dde07a9b624ca.jpg

Lastly, I got a moonglow and a keiffer pear planted and caged in what will be a future food plot. I will be taking out some trees at the stump and doing some clearing with hand tools so i can create a micro plot here and maybe one or two more plots in other locations.
9d6c54b7413576e7188bd5c6ed669364.jpg

Last edited:
Lastly, I got a moonglow and a keiffer pear planted and caged in what will be a future food plot. I will be taking out some trees at the stump and doing some clearing with hand tools so i can create some micro plots here.
9d6c54b7413576e7188bd5c6ed669364.jpg

Working hard! Looking good!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Went out for a couple of hours this morning to get some work in on the cottage. Ripping out the old carpet and will be replacing with either vinyl or laminate flooring so when I come in dirty from the woods it will be easy to keep the place clean.

Before...
5da4955914b7888b87ad31b4a01a5cf4.jpg
043018a83c0e4bad9e68bb15fff91f2b.jpg
204f136a176887eaecc6853270ea6a7a.jpg

Also, I went and checked the apple trees I got from the local farmer that looked pretty rough and they seem like they might make it. Green buds are forming...
0997ee7252e12a3fbea68bb6a7a15f8b.jpg

pinetag...Congrats on the property purchase! Seems like yesterday when I acquired mine in 2011. Time really does fly by. And, the joy of developing the property over the first couple of years is about as good as it gets. Keep the updates coming!

pinetag, the place looks great! I would definitely purchase a canoe or john boat for access along the creek on the south end of your property. That would be a great way to slip in for a hunt!

pinetag...Congrats on the property purchase! Seems like yesterday when I acquired mine in 2011. Time really does fly by. And, the joy of developing the property over the first couple of years is about as good as it gets. Keep the updates coming!
Thanks TC! The habitat bug is biting me quickly.

pinetag, the place looks great! I would definitely purchase a canoe or john boat for access along the creek on the south end of your property. That would be a great way to slip in for a hunt!
I'm considering it. The only issue is the river runs shallow most of the time and I know there is at least one large tree across the entire width of the river that I would need to somehow get across.

I forgot to post this over the weekend. I believe I have a black locust tree up by the cottage. I did some research and they appear to be a good food source for deer so i might try to propagate a few down by some of the food plots I am planning. Anyone have experience with these?
270910dd88907a2a1e54ed98a4fdf678.jpg
342970ab19e85231fc0d77537a8c7758.jpg

That doesn't look quite right for black locust. Locust leaves would be much smaller, and branch/twig structure looks different. I don't have much experience with catalpa but that is what those pods remind me of. Does it have thorns? Black locust definitely does.

I'm enjoying your property thread; congrats on the land purchase! Looks like lots of potential for years enjoyment on your place!

That doesn't look quite right for black locust. Locust leaves would be much smaller, and branch/twig structure looks different. I don't have much experience with catalpa but that is what those pods remind me of. Does it have thorns? Black locust definitely does.

I'm enjoying your property thread; congrats on the land purchase! Looks like lots of potential for years enjoyment on your place!

You are right! It is a catalpa. I posted in the "name this plant" section and that is the consensus. Oh well...live and learn.

The first of what I'm sure will be many future seedling orders! 10 Chinese Chestnuts and 10 Alleghany Chinkapins which I will be planting this weekend.

faa858cbe4faa8eda19de638c42b5cf2.jpg

Back