Octagon blind builds!

27b6c6235004b59bf3fcac91b31a839b.jpg
d8c7b12206fe93702353681f580338a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not as jealous of the stand, I also have some nice blinds like that. It's the tractor that's making me (GREEN) with jealousy.

Hey, I love it! Being a carpenter I've built dozens of platforms and stairways like that and yours is right up there with the best of them, got a double flight steps, landing, porch, archery window and all. I'm sure you are going to add some stair railings for safety yet, those wooden steps get very dangerous with ice on them. I enjoy open air hunting, but hunting out of a well built, well located box blind in bad weather is also one of those special hunts that you look forward to all summer long.
Thanks. It still needs railing and anti slip on steps. I built it for my parents and I just got a grandson who I hope to get there when he is big enough to enjoy it. I may have to try it myself in bad weather. Lol. My ladder stand is on other side of plot. May be hard to sit in that holding the bow in the rain now. I'm a welder by trade so I might make my next plat form steel. It took my all day to get that thing done.

Just thought I would share some picture of hunting out of my new 6x6 octagon blind this year. This is a 7 point I got on the 2nd day of this year's hunting season.

Attachments

• 20171014_175311-1080x1080.jpg
    20171014_175311-1080x1080.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20171014_175301-864x864.jpg
    20171014_175301-864x864.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0
I don't understand the point in making the extra cuts and angles. Cant you get the same viewing with 4 sides?

But does show off carpentry skills.

When it comes to shooting a gun or the crossbow the 4 standard windows do just fine. When it comes to shooting my bow i can't get the downward angle needed to place a good shot through the 4 standard windows. This is my first octagon blind and this is my experience with it. I also like having the extra viewing points. The first deer i got in this blind was out of the taller windows, worked out perfect.

I don't understand the point in making the extra cuts and angles. Cant you get the same viewing with 4 sides?

But does show off carpentry skills.
An octagon blind serves a much greater purpose than just for show. If you spend a few days hunting in a square blind hunting in a place like Canada with lots of wildlife around, then hunt in a octagon blind, you will quickly realize the superior field of view, and the better shooting angles eight sides gives you.

01932bda52de10b3c3276c1c0408929a.jpg

Tyvek for the hell of it!

7750a8fc1a0a291a12af14a5009679a4.jpg

One that's almost finished & one that's not lol

f6c5c36b76f1ea5fda93ea3d58a5d49f.jpg

There was nothing light or easy about moving this beast around!

f957d52a6e104028d2991a2e667de17d.jpg

39da6ab9a4b8fd29aa6ee67c32c39e11.jpg

I’m really wanting to build one of these. I’m wondering if you see any advantage there would be to using full osb sheets then covering with metal. Basically just having 4 foot wide sides of the pentagon instead of 3.

beautiful stands, all of them. My skills only allow square blinds.

Hurricanes will knock a condo over..... I stood mine back up, then screwed a mobile home anchor at each corner and thru-bolted it to the 4x4. Next time, the condo will probably blow off of the platform instead.
reduced IMG_2505.jpg reduced tcell condo on ground.jpg reduced anchor.jpg

I’m really wanting to build one of these. I’m wondering if you see any advantage there would be to using full osb sheets then covering with metal. Basically just having 4 foot wide sides of the pentagon instead of 3.
One reason is that if you get the blind floor area too big it gets harder to see out all of the windows from a central seated position without constantly moving your chair. So the more side panels of a smaller size to make the blind more circular in shape are an advantage. (And shows off your carpentry skills more) The one blind company that I bought several from has 11 sides with 11 windows, choice of a 5 or 6 foot diameter circle. These have by far the best visual field of view of any of the dozen or more different hunting blinds that we have. Here's one that I helped set up for someone else.
d18d3daec4cd71a0d1ee147d4dc3ceff.jpg

Last edited:
One reason is that if you get the blind floor area too big it gets harder to see out all of the windows from a central seated position without constantly moving your chair. So the more side panels of a smaller size to make the blind more circular in shape are an advantage. (And shows off your carpentry skills more) The one blind company that I bought several from has 11 sides with 11 windows, choice of a 5 or 6 foot diameter circle. These have by far the best visual field of view of any of the dozen or more different hunting blinds that we have. Here's one that I helped set up for someone else.
d18d3daec4cd71a0d1ee147d4dc3ceff.jpg

Nice blind! What brand is that ?

edf1bd945b8653b22d8eb82eaca67d4e.jpg
built some different windows this weekend to finally finish off this brown blind

Hard to tell if you built some angle into that roof? But if so be curious as to how you did it. I've been trying to find an easy light weight way to make an angle roof on my octagon builds, as right now i've basically put flat plywood on top over everything, then attached 2x8s that i cut in 1/2 from corner to corner to create my slope and then plywood on top of those and then metal on top of that. Talk about heavy and probably inefficient, but makes it weatherproof.

Hard to tell if you built some angle into that roof? But if so be curious as to how you did it. I've been trying to find an easy light weight way to make an angle roof on my octagon builds, as right now i've basically put flat plywood on top over everything, then attached 2x8s that i cut in 1/2 from corner to corner to create my slope and then plywood on top of those and then metal on top of that. Talk about heavy and probably inefficient, but makes it weatherproof.

No angle to the roof, flat roof buddy. No leaks. I used treated plywood covered in tarpaper then covered in tin. The stands not perfectly level so it does shed the rain off some

Back