My fall spray/throw/mow plots have germinated

Native Hunter

Planted about 2 weeks ago with good rain since then. If we have a fall drought like last year, I will still be in good shape. 3 types of clover, oats, wheat, chicory, 2 types of peas, buckwheat, beans, sun hemp and just a tad of grain sorghum that probably won't be able to make a head before frost. Done with a pickup truck and lawn mower.

vwhxIpQ.jpg

29cq2J6.jpg

zRFvZAB.jpg

nntYpM0.jpg

Last edited:
Native,

Plot looks great. Couple of questions. Any concern about the wheat and oats hitting a stage where they’re a little more mature and less attractive to deer since they were planted early? What’s the intent with the buckwheat, beans, etc that will die with the first frost? Are they just meant to be cover for the plants that will continue to feed the deer through the winter or do they have another purpose? Always love your posts!

Native,

Plot looks great. Couple of questions. Any concern about the wheat and oats hitting a stage where they’re a little more mature and less attractive to deer since they were planted early? What’s the intent with the buckwheat, beans, etc that will die with the first frost? Are they just meant to be cover for the plants that will continue to feed the deer through the winter or do they have another purpose? Always love your posts!

Those are excellent questions Cedar Ridge. I've planted early like this the last 2 years and haven't had a problem with the grains becoming too mature. They have continued eating them right up into the November gun season. The intent of the buckwheat and beans is to provide some attraction that they won't find anywhere else early on and get them into the habit of coming early to the plots. They also act as a nurse crop for the clover and chicory, which will dominate the plot next year.

If you stop and think about it, we are probably many, many days away from a killing frost. Just think of how attractive those plots will be by mid October when the two day Muzzleloader season comes in.

Let's just go ahead and create a new term today that the antler jockey writers can run with. Let's call it "Two Stage Plotting." Remember that you heard it first here.....;)

One more thing - another reason I planted so early was that I saw good rains coming. If you recall, last year if someone had waited until the normal time, they could have not had any fall plots because of that drought we had here. I would have waited later this year, but the forecast was right and I went ahead a little early.

Last edited:
What did you spray down? Buckwheat? Did you mow before or after? Any fert? Rotate next year or let this run its course? Looks good. I remember that spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had September/October droughts the past TWO years which devastated my plots.

Last year we had a massive rain mid to late August and then went into a horrible drought. The plot I planted just before the massive rain did excellent, but the one I planted a few days after it didn't germinate the whole fall. The ground set bare all winter. Rains did come sometime in November, but by that time the seed would not germinate. The next spring they did germinate, but no help for the previous fall.

I would rather wait until Labor Day to plant fall plots, but if I see a good rain forecast a little earlier, I will go with it.

Last edited:
What did you spray down? Buckwheat? Did you mow before or after? Any fert? Rotate next year or let this run its course? Looks good. I remember that spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sprayed down a clover plot that was beginning to get a lot of grass in it. The mowing was done after I sprayed and broadcast the seed. No fertilizer. I hope for this to last a couple of years, because of the perennial clover and chicory in the mix. I'm hoping that this time next year that some overseeding with some grains, etc. is all that is needed and that we will get another season or two out of the plot. It looks like that may work, because you can see the clover already coming on pretty good down under the other stuff.

PS: I do have another plot up on the high ground where I mowed buckwheat down onto the new seed. That was just done this weekend before the hurricane come through. We will see how that one does, and I will post pics later on. I have a good feeling about it because we have more rain in the forecast soon.

Last edited:
Those are excellent questions Cedar Ridge. I've planted early like this the last 2 years and haven't had a problem with the grains becoming too mature. They have continued eating them right up into the November gun season. The intent of the buckwheat and beans is to provide some attraction that they won't find anywhere else early on and get them into the habit of coming early to the plots. They also act as a nurse crop for the clover and chicory, which will dominate the plot next year.

If you stop and think about it, we are probably many, many days away from a killing frost. Just think of how attractive those plots will be by mid October when the two day Muzzleloader season comes in.

Let's just go ahead and create a new term today that the antler jockey writers can run with. Let's call it "Two Stage Plotting." Remember that you heard it first here.....;)

One more thing - another reason I planted so early was that I saw good rains coming. If you recall, last year if someone had waited until the normal time, they could have not had any fall plots because of that drought we had here. I would have waited later this year, but the forecast was right and I went ahead a little early.

“Two Stage Plotting”. I love it. I planted Labor Day weekend in 2018 and had fantastic results. Like many, I got caught waiting for rain last year and ended up getting such a late start that my field production was very poor. Been prepping to get everything planted this coming weekend to try and mimic 2019 but I would love to have gotten planted ahead of this most recent rain we’ve had like you did. Guess next year I need to be prepared to plant by early Aug and then I’d be in a better position to take advantage of any good rains instead of hoping for a homerun on Labor Day weekend when it’s ‘convenient’ to plant over the long weekend.

Good looking plots Native ! I wish TnM would work for me, it would sure simplify my life. I also wish we could get a rain, but that’s another story altogether......o_O

“Two Stage Plotting”. I love it. I planted Labor Day weekend in 2018 and had fantastic results. Like many, I got caught waiting for rain last year and ended up getting such a late start that my field production was very poor. Been prepping to get everything planted this coming weekend to try and mimic 2019 but I would love to have gotten planted ahead of this most recent rain we’ve had like you did. Guess next year I need to be prepared to plant by early Aug and then I’d be in a better position to take advantage of any good rains instead of hoping for a homerun on Labor Day weekend when it’s ‘convenient’ to plant over the long weekend.

Good luck Cedar Ridge, and let us know how things work out for you.

If you recall, last year if someone had waited until the normal time, they could have not had any fall plots because of that drought we had here.
That was me last year. I planted mine right after Labor day, and didn't have any germination even with cereal rye. This year, I was able to get the guy who cuts my hay to plant my plots just ahead of these last few rains. I wasn't able to get to the property at the right time. I should have plots this year. I'm not used to planting this early in Louisiana. Just one of the differences I've learned since buying a Kentucky farm.

Looks great! If we would have moved out here a little earlier I would have planted already. Planning on planting next weekend, hopefully we don't get another September drought!

That was me last year. I planted mine right after Labor day, and didn't have any germination even with cereal rye. This year, I was able to get the guy who cuts my hay to plant my plots just ahead of these last few rains. I wasn't able to get to the property at the right time. I should have plots this year. I'm not used to planting this early in Louisiana. Just one of the differences I've learned since buying a Kentucky farm.

Ben, that drought last year taught me some good lessons. The difference in the plot planted early before the last good rain and the one planted a few days after that rain was like daylight versus dark.

I've noticed over the past 7-8 years we (in Missouri anyway) get rain and a cool down sometimes in August every year. September is usually dry. For years I was in the "plant labor day weekend" camp but like Native I take my chances with the rain vs the calendar. I planted Saturday.

Looking great! We planted early this year as well and so far have been great. Is there such a thing as to much rain? Monthly average for August is about 4 inches in the mountains, we have had 14-15 so far. Our plots seem to look a little stunted and in need of a dry week IMO.

Looking great! We planted early this year as well and so far have been great. Is there such a thing as to much rain? Monthly average for August is about 4 inches in the mountains, we have had 14-15 so far. Our plots seem to look a little stunted and in need of a dry week IMO.

I think there could be too much rain - especially on low ground. If you get water standing, that can become a problem fast. Good luck with your plots.

Back