Fall plots in South Carolina

cutman

Administrator
Staff member
This property is tricky for food plotting. The soil is very sandy, and deer pressure is high. I won’t bother with summer plots in the future because they are a waste of time and money.

Fall plots are easier because deer focus on acorns. However, October is so dry that plots planted too early wither in the sand.

Luckily we can plant in late fall and sometimes even winter. I got my plots in last week after .3” of rain and more rain the forecast. No-till drill is worth it when it comes to conserving moisture in the ground.

First plot - planted mid-October after a good rain. Wheat, oats, rye, peas, crimson clover.

IMG_0715.jpeg

Second plot - sorghum I planted on July 30. I used leftover seed from cleaning out the drill to broadcast rye, wheat, and clover into the sorghum yesterday. As the leaves dry out and the canopy opens, I hope that the fall plot will grow. We shall see.

IMG_0718.jpeg

Third photo - my main plot that is surrounded by chestnuts. I no-tilled grains and clover plus chicory into mature chufa. This plot will die without reliable moisture, so fingers crossed that the El Niño winter delivers.

IMG_0723.jpeg

Good luck with those plots. I thought mine, planted in late September, would never germinate but finally we got some growth with a little bit of rain. Hoping for lots more this week

Back