Live from the Stand 2018

Much frustration. Five came out late. Too far away for shot that late so we waited. Jack had problem finding them in scope. But one started coming toward us. Then they all did . I told him to pick biggest doe. I bleeped to stop them, BOOM, deer jumps, hits the ground, and rolls. We see white. We take a few minutes gather stuff and walk down. NO DEER ANYWHERE. Was raining so we looked area good, no blood, nothing. Was pasture area so we got in truck and rode every inch we could. Nothing. Raining again but we are headed back this morning to look more.
What happened?

Much frustration. Five came out late. Too far away for shot that late so we waited. Jack had problem finding them in scope. But one started coming toward us. Then they all did . I told him to pick biggest doe. I bleeped to stop them, BOOM, deer jumps, hits the ground, and rolls. We see white. We take a few minutes gather stuff and walk down. NO DEER ANYWHERE. Was raining so we looked area good, no blood, nothing. Was pasture area so we got in truck and rode every inch we could. Nothing. Raining again but we are headed back this morning to look more.
What happened?

Where did Jack think he hit her? What caliber?

Sounds like the "ole high shoulder spinal shock". I have seen it first hand and know plenty of folks who have been victims of that shot. Leaves a lot of head scratching and questions. All of my tracking friends have dealt with this. Deer drops at the shot. Gets up, runs off never to stopped or found.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

What happened?

As pinesap said hit too high...any luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of those days...cold, windy, spitting rain...only time I will get in a blind...

6311dc446a4ca846612ab39fe40a40cb.jpg

bb421b54ff39eabeb166c7a36e94a2bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No cooperation from the deer but I am warm and dry... saw 3 bucks and 3 does in the timber this morning while on stand...

Cold and light snow. Pretty slow day with rifle just finished and another doe season in effect. Bow hunted with good movement late morning and then starting half hour before sunset. Shooter came in following doe with his nose to ground grunting like crazy. Could tell she was ready. Pretty dark, doable 20 yd shot but chose not to especially with foot of snow coming in tonight. At least thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Okie, how you liking hunting with Xbow this year?

Cold and light snow. Pretty slow day with rifle just finished and another doe season in effect. Bow hunted with good movement late morning and then starting half hour before sunset. Shooter came in following doe with his nose to ground grunting like crazy. Could tell she was ready. Pretty dark, doable 20 yd shot but chose not to especially with foot of snow coming in tonight. At least thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Okie, how you liking hunting with Xbow this year?
Crossbow...have only taken 1 animal (coyote) earlier in the season. It was a running shot and put him right down. It’s not horrible to carry with a sling but make sure you aren’t wearing out the string on your back. If you in a tree stand you are going to want something to hang it on. It’s dead on from 20-40 yards center of crosshairs and Ian comfortable shooting to 50 but not many shots like that where I hunt. I have the recurve limbed Excalibur micro 335 and it shoots my “quills” at 340. I shoot a 100 grain slick trick to exactly same spot as field point at all ranges. It sets on a Caldwell tripod rest in the blind good even though I have only been in the blind twice with it which was yesterday evening and this morning...

Once I get my rotator cuff sorted out I will be back to my Bowtech Assassin but this got me in the game this fall..

0670B6D8-E413-46B4-9FF8-E16254CD29C6.jpeg Good morning all ! Well, I’m back at it over a wheat plot in Rusk County, Texas. I’ve seen nothing yet, but it has rained for the last two days so maybe something will move this morning. Wish me luck !

Good luck. If I were a deer I'd have a snack in that good looking field. Of course I'm staying a little dizzy staring at those spirals on your rifle.

9BE52FBA-2461-4B0D-B271-13A3711B2950.jpeg My first customer, a yearling buck. We are almost on speaking terms. He seems pretty skittish, a cat squirrel turned him inside out just now but before long he was back. He usually has a buddy but I guess he’s alone today.

My first day to sleep in since October 1...had a get together with friends last night that lasted past midnight so even though the wind was perfect I stayed in... will do an evening hunt and an am hunt before church tomorrow...

Live from the deep woods. I'm in one of my favorite stands on the place. I call it the Longwalk. From my door to the stand takes 25 minutes. Normally work up a pretty good sweat unless I walk in wearing only boots, underwear and a smile. 40 year old pine plantation with mixed hardwoods. My stand is just south of a 35 acre block of young planted pines. Pictures show bucks cruising. I know they are getting dropped around here chasing does. I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy in 3 counties with a bow in my hand.
727a1504afc3b8a7084b9aa0e4b330fb.jpg
51fe5d57802012518bd59f0896959c75.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back