Fall Plot Planting and Rain Forecast

Two more spray/throw/mow places that started a little slower, but I'm ready to now say are successful:

bf5E9as.jpg

mGBKcti.jpg

Very nice. My snake plot doesn't seem to want to grow anything very well except black berries.

G

Very nice. My snake plot doesn't seem to want to grow anything very well except black berries.

G

I did have one small failure on a new 1/4 acre kill plot. Not sure what happened but I think a lack of thatch, poor soil location and too much shade got me. Also, they browsed down what did come up, and then carpetweed took over.

Starting on the 19th of this month they are giving 11 straight days of high probability rain. I’m planning on having the final plots in the ground just before that day. Not much left to do anyway at this point.

Starting on the 19th of this month they are giving 11 straight days of high probability rain. I’m planning on having the final plots in the ground just before that day. Not much left to do anyway at this point.

I am preparing and plan on doing the same down below.

Damn turkeys vacuumed up my last bag of wheat. I may sprinkle out another bag after I get some brassica growing to give cover for some wheat seed.

IMG_0010 (1300 x 731).jpg

G

Looks awesome! Is that dark green big leaf canola? Per your recommendation, I planted some about 10 days ago.

You might find the following picture interesting. The dead spot in the foreground was planted on 8-15, but that was after all of the rains. It has only had a couple of smaller rains and got a decent one today. The green in the background was planted on 7-25 and got most of the heavy rains. I think this picture proves the point I was trying to make.

VimIYzl.jpg

OMG, my early planting built a doe factory............

R2vd7ID.jpg

HFYPt1B.jpg

Yep you are doing it all wrong, according to jeff.

You might find the following picture interesting. The dead spot in the foreground was planted on 8-15, but that was after all of the rains. It has only had a couple of smaller rains and got a decent one today. The green in the background was planted on 7-25 and got most of the heavy rains. I think this picture proves the point I was trying to make.

VimIYzl.jpg

Excuse me, it escapes me, your point was that you need to tighten the cap on the atrazine can?

Looks luscious.

G

Last edited:
Native, your plots always look fabulous. I’ve heard of a green thumb, but you must have a green arm ! I think I’m a farmer when I can grow a good wheat plot !:D

Native, your plots always look fabulous. I’ve heard of a green thumb, but you must have a green arm ! I think I’m a farmer when I can grow a good wheat plot !:D

Thanks Drycreek. I’m lucky that the forecast was correct. If all that rain hadn’t come, I wouldn’t be looking very smart now.

Well, my prediction of a fall drought for us looks like it will come true. We are already dry now, and the 15 day forecast only shows one day with any decent chance of rain. If I planted right now (at what is typically considered the right time) there is a good chance of a plot failure.

I’m trying something new this year. I planted black beans in my garden and they have done so well that I’m going to see if the deer like them at all.

34f499f7c62050f715af00db263014bb.jpg

Garden black beans.

Just spread some store bought black beans and mowed the grass down on top of them.

8abcc9b03b78195579b16602c8b1bc71.jpg

Just a small little area to test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to follow up on this in case anyone cared. Black beans don’t handle browsing and were instantly all killed from being nipped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, my prediction of a fall drought for us looks like it will come true. We are already dry now, and the 15 day forecast only shows one day with any decent chance of rain. If I planted right now (at what is typically considered the right time) there is a good chance of a plot failure.
I guess if I followed your thinking, I would have had to plants fall plots the last week of April. :rolleyes::)

Back