Any suggestions for a new turkeygun?

Mennoniteman

I've wanted to pull the trigger on a shotgun dedicated for longbeards for years already. I always just grab my general purpose 12ga. with full choke. So I'm thinking camo finish, scope? shorter barrel? extra full choke? What does everyone else use?

I use my regular shotgun. I once Went with the Mossburg 835 turkey gun with recoil reducing stock, red dot scope, and extended super full chokes. Went through about two thirds of the season - missed two turkeys, let another one get away because I didnt see it in the scope and another one because red dot was turned off. Went back to the old, full choke 870 and tagged out the last week. Havent picked that “turkey” gun up since. Only turkey standing on the ground I have ever missed in forty years of hunting was with that gun - and did it twice. That is a sign. I know a lot of guys with super duper dedicated turkey guns that are deadly - just didnt work for me.

Anything in 10 gauge with a full choke would be my preference. You don't have to swing it, you just have to pull the trigger and be in the vicinity...once. And only once.

Thumbhole camo stocks and scopes are a good idea if you have some extra money that you absolutely need to get rid of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything in 10 gauge with a full choke would be my preference. You don't have to swing it, you just have to pull the trigger and be in the vicinity...once. And only once.

Thumbhole camo stocks and scopes are a good idea if you have some extra money that you absolutely need to get rid of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What loads do you like with the ten gauge? Excuse my ignorance, but if the shot oz is equal, would the recoil be about equal to a twelve?

I use my regular shotgun. I once Went with the Mossburg 835 turkey gun with recoil reducing stock, red dot scope, and extended super full chokes. Went through about two thirds of the season - missed two turkeys, let another one get away because I didnt see it in the scope and another one because red dot was turned off. Went back to the old, full choke 870 and tagged out the last week. Havent picked that “turkey” gun up since. Only turkey standing on the ground I have ever missed in forty years of hunting was with that gun - and did it twice. That is a sign. I know a lot of guys with super duper dedicated turkey guns that are deadly - just didnt work for me.
Never ignore a "sign"

A camo Berretta AL390 with a turkey choke, can't remember what brand. That's what I used to use. Once I started bowhunting spring turkeys, I haven't hunted with a shotgun. That's been ten years or more.

My son has killed several with a youth sized 870 20 ga. with 3" loads though, and the last two at 39 and 41 yards respectively. I was impressed with the Hevi-shot !

I would get a 3 1/2". It's the one time I still use a 3.5" shotgun, don't bother with geese anymore. If you are hardcore, only shoot one at 20 yards in the decoys, 3" is fine. I would definitely plan on a scope, so a receiver ready for a scope base is nice. I use a long eye relief, low-power scope. I don't do it for any other reason that some of these guns shoot so tight, that you just put a bead on the bird, you miss. With the scope, you can get it patterned and sighted. I went the red dot route at first, too unreliable for me. Batteries, broken electronics, etc.

My gun/shell/choke combo, shoots a pattern smaller than your fist at 20, so missing is real easy if you aren't prepared.

Weatherby SA459 20 ga, Eotech red dot sight, TSS 9 shot 3 inch shells. Deadly.

abc1177af46f3423d0dd63b1599b635e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I use my "everything" shotgun, but I have had some work done to the barrel. If I was in the market for a dedicated turkey gun, I would look at the Mossberg 835(pump) or 935(semi-auto). I have thought about getting one for several years, but can't seem to get away from my Winchester 1300. One day I will get one and be glad I did. The hard part will be to choose the pump or the SA. I like a longer barrel as it gives the shot a little time to settle down before it leaves the barrel. It swings just fine if a turkey isn't where I want him and you have set-up correctly and it isn't as hard to walk through the woods, as some people think.

Just so you know:
Winchester 1300 12ga, 3" chamber, 26" barrel
Forcing cone lengthened and polished
Bead on the front, sometimes a red dot.
Carlson's .660 Extended Turkey Choke/trying the Carlson's Longbeard XR choke this spring
Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend

Last edited:
A dedicated turkey gun should have a pistol grip, and some sort of aiming system on it. These new loads shoot so tight I think it is crucial to be able to adjust for point of impact.

I probably own 30 different shotguns and some of them are over $5K guns. But, I hunt with a cheap 12 gauge 870 camo Remington with a 26 inch barrel that they sell at Wal Mart. Last time I looked they were in the range of $370. If this gun fits you, it is a good buy.

You will need to add a turkey choke. There are lots of good choices. I use the Indian Creek .665 Black Diamond Strike. It works great for me with both the Hevi-13 ammo and the Winchester Longbeard.

The ammo I mentioned above is the only ammo I would consider using. For a heavier than lead load use the Hevi-13 in either 2 ounce (3 inch) or 2.25 ounce (3.5 inch). If you want to shoot lead, then use the Longbeards. There are other decent choices, but these are the best options in my opinion. I would go with #6 in Hevi-13 and #5 in the Longbeards.

You will need some type of sights. I use the fully adjustable Tru Glo Pro Magnum Gobble Dots that clamp to the rib. They were around $45 the last time I looked. Williams Firesights are also good. The whole purpose of the aftermarket sights is to get the gun hitting where you aim. The chances of centering your patterns without some type of sights is slim to none. It is very important to center your patterns, due to the tightness of turkey patterns. I personally hate red dots and most scopes for actual turkey hunting, but if you like them, they are okay if you buy a good one and mount it solidly. I just prefer the sights, but I have vision like a hawk....

Regardless of which gun you settle on, my advice on the sights and ammo remains the same. Some turkey ammo is just downright pathetic compared to the above loads. The finest gun and choke in the world won't make sorry ammo shoot well. I know because I have shot it all and have fired as many as 200 rounds of 3-inch magnum shells in a single day. I've also won 13 NWTF World Still Target Championships and broke World Records 6 times, so I do have some knowledge of this subject. Best wishes.....

I shot the Remington Heavy Shot #5 before going to the Magnum Blend. I haven't shot the Longbeard and don't if I will. I am stuck on what Heavy Shot does to a turkey.

I shot the Remington Heavy Shot #5 before going to the Magnum Blend. I haven't shot the Longbeard and don't if I will. I am stuck on what Heavy Shot does to a turkey.

I have only shot Longbeards in competition. They blow Hevi-13 away in terms of core density, but Hevi-13 works so well for me in actual hunting I will stay with it. I'm not going back to lead loads. However, for someone who wants to shoot lead, no other lead load will come close to Longbeards.

The Magnum Blend is fine. It's basically very close to the Hevi-13 load, with the difference being the different shot sizes. I would have no issue with using it. I would rate the "quality" of the patterns up with Hevi-13.

I shoot the Nitros, stupid expensive but they pattern the best in my gun.

Yes, no other shell will come close to patterning with a Nitro. I've shot them quite a bit just for my own experimenting, but they were never used in the NWTF competitions. No other shell would have a chance against them. But for $9 a shell, a guy should be expecting something great!

Yes, no other shell will come close to patterning with a Nitro. I've shot them quite a bit just for my own experimenting, but they were never used in the NWTF competitions. No other shell would have a chance against them. But for $9 a shell, a guy should be expecting something great!

Yea, it's crazy. I bought a box of 25 years ago, I shoot 2 a year. Have quite a few left.

I have only shot Longbeards in competition. They blow Hevi-13 away in terms of core density, but Hevi-13 works so well for me in actual hunting I will stay with it. I'm not going back to lead loads. However, for someone who wants to shoot lead, no other lead load will come close to Longbeards.

The Magnum Blend is fine. It's basically very close to the Hevi-13 load, with the difference being the different shot sizes. I would have no issue with using it. I would rate the "quality" of the patterns up with Hevi-13.
It has a denser pattern than the #5's did and they were great. I'm glad Hevi-Shot took them back, but I liked the fact that Remington gave you 10 in a box compared to the 5/box that Hevi-Shot gives you. I killed a bunch of turkeys with that Remington load and still have a box left. I tend to save it for fall turkeys, that way I'm not using up my Mag Blend.

Speaking of Still Target, do you happen to know Scott Kirsch aka SloppySnood? The first time I met him, I was a little toasty on the brown stuff and stepped on his head a few times trying to get in the bed, lol. I see him almost every year at the NWTF at the Indian Creek booth. Good fella.

I used to shoot Hevi 13 shells but now I shoot TSS (Tungsten Super Shot). Hevi 13 is 13 g/cc density and TSS is 18+g/cc. Higher density shot means you can use a smaller shot size and still maintain down range penetration power. Federal, Apex, and Nitro are all offering TSS shells this year. Hevi 13 is old technology compared to TSS. Of course, any kind of shot can kill a turkey inside of 30 yds with the right choke but if you want to reach out a bit further with the most lethal ammunition you can buy, go with TSS.

It has a denser pattern than the #5's did and they were great. I'm glad Hevi-Shot took them back, but I liked the fact that Remington gave you 10 in a box compared to the 5/box that Hevi-Shot gives you. I killed a bunch of turkeys with that Remington load and still have a box left. I tend to save it for fall turkeys, that way I'm not using up my Mag Blend.

Speaking of Still Target, do you happen to know Scott Kirsch aka SloppySnood? The first time I met him, I was a little toasty on the brown stuff and stepped on his head a few times trying to get in the bed, lol. I see him almost every year at the NWTF at the Indian Creek booth. Good fella.

Yep, Sloppy and I have each other on speed dial. We are good friends and have traveled together a lot. He is so accident prone, I have made it my life mission to try to protect him from himself....

I used to shoot Hevi 13 shells but now I shoot TSS (Tungsten Super Shot). Hevi 13 is 13 g/cc density and TSS is 18+g/cc. Higher density shot means you can use a smaller shot size and still maintain down range penetration power. Federal, Apex, and Nitro are all offering TSS shells this year. Hevi 13 is old technology compared to TSS. Of course, any kind of shot can kill a turkey inside of 30 yds with the right choke but if you want to reach out a bit further with the most lethal ammunition you can buy, go with TSS.

Inside of 30 yards I can make 100% clean kills on turkeys all day long with my quail gun and AA Trap loads.

TSS is fine for those who want to use it, but I don't need it myself. I can kill turkeys much further than anyone ought to be shooting at them with my "OLD Technology" Hevi-13. I've never had a dead turkey to do a "g/cc" calculation and refuse to let me cook it....

And, just because a BIG NAME company may be loading TSS, doesn't necessarily mean that the shells will be awesome. Some companies (I won't mention names) are well known for screwing up every turkey load they manufacture. Go back and look at the winning shell in competitions for the last 20 years. The names you don't see listed are the ones I'm talking about. We generally use those shells for paper weights to keep the wind from blowing the papers away.

Back