New Side-By-Side UTV Thoughts?

How do you like the Ranger by now? What's the good and the bad?

I'm not too reliable to speak to reliability, I put 2000 miles on mine in 3 years, less than 400 hours. I keep up maintenance and while I use it as a tool, i do not beat on it. However, my electric company drives Rangers, ky state forestry drives Rangers.

G

Does anyone one here have a crew/two row sized vehicle? I was up at camp this weekend with the family and having a (second) unit with two rows would be ideal for recreation. Any big cons to the longer vehicle?

I could realistically swap my used Ranger EV for a new 570 Ranger crew for a few thousand.

We have a two row (6 seater) Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT. We love it. It’s a great work and play machine. Smooth ride, plenty of power, plenty of speed for our use. I recommend it for most things other than hard trail riding. It’s perfect for us. We have 4 young kids. We hunt, fish, joy ride, work, and enjoy!

Does anyone one here have a crew/two row sized vehicle? I was up at camp this weekend with the family and having a (second) unit with two rows would be ideal for recreation. Any big cons to the longer vehicle?

I could realistically swap my used Ranger EV for a new 570 Ranger crew for a few thousand.
If you go that route you might as well upgrade to the 1000XP. I just bought one and I think that I will like it. It has some pretty good get-up and go. I'll post some real pics soon.

I've only ridden in a 2 row Polaris a few times, but the ground clearance was pretty bad. Nearly got it high centered on a couple small mounds on flat ground. I wouldn't own one without at least some lift or bigger tires to increase the clearance.

When I bought my ranger I had been goggling info for a couple months and found multiple rebates and extended warranties.The dealer didn't know about them but I got a year extra and 200.00 off any add on.I wouldn't drive one 65 MPH unless I was getting shot at.Rear windshield and roof are most important.Has anyone tried those chinese mini trucks

Mennoniteman - I've been running Rangers since 2011. Just bought the 1000 like shown in your pic from my oldenst son. It's a year old. Has roof and front/back glass. Drove it for the first time last weekend and could not believe how quiet it is and how good the suspension is.

Still running a 2013 Ranger diesel that has been a work horse. But the newer 1000 is like riding in my GMC. Turning radius is awesome for a 4/6 seater.

Other son has one of the newer double cab Mules. That is one fine ride as well and perhaps a bit more versatile as the back seat folds down for extra cargo space.

And, for what it's worth, I run a Yanmar diesel here at home. Single cab. I like the Ranger better.

@Mennoniteman and @Triple C, I'm joining the Ranger 1000 Premium crew club, too. It is an impressive vehicle. My brother and I were at our camp a few weeks back, and both decided it would be ideal to have a crew sized vehicle for hunting and family reasons. Trying to unload the Ranger EV before pick up in two weeks. We found a dealer local to camp who came down $500 from list price, and they don't charge the standard freight and setup fees, so it made the deal pretty convincing with the current $2000 rebates on the 2023 models. There was a little flexibility in the pricing on accessories and they'll deliver it, so I don't have to mess with taking a trailer up a back. I'm pretty exited! :)

@Mennoniteman and @Triple C, I'm joining the Ranger 1000 Premium crew club, too. It is an impressive vehicle. My brother and I were at our camp a few weeks back, and both decided it would be ideal to have a crew sized vehicle for hunting and family reasons. Trying to unload the Ranger EV before pick up in two weeks. We found a dealer local to camp who came down $500 from list price, and they don't charge the standard freight and setup fees, so it made the deal pretty convincing with the current $2000 rebates on the 2023 models. There was a little flexibility in the pricing on accessories and they'll deliver it, so I don't have to mess with taking a trailer up a back. I'm pretty exited! :)
I'm loving our Ranger 1000xp so far, though I did have cold feet to pull the trigger because of some of the bad online reviews, but I also know a lot of Ranger owners who like them. It seems like Polaris draws a lot of hate online, but with the amount of Ranger units Polaris sells they can't be total junk. On the forums there's also a lot of owners with 5000 plus hours on machines talking about trouble free miles.
What I like about the Ranger the most over a golf cart, it's great to be able to run about anywhere through rough country out back, then if I get in a hurry I can hop over on the road on the way back to camp and kick it up to 40 mph and still have plenty of power and 20+ mph to spare.
It seems like a well made machine that's going to do well under normal use, especially if taking good care of maintenance, but will start breaking under abuse, which most equipment does.
At this time I'm not doing any accessories beyond the 2" wheel hub extensions for stability, since our focus was mostly to replace an ATV with the same thing, but an ATV that can haul 6 people, so, no windshield, no roof, no winch, no radio needed. Maybe later if we see a need for those things?

Last edited:
Just so y’all know, I bought a single seat Ranger in 2009 and I sold it to my son in 2018 when I bought my CanAm. I love my CanAm, but that Ranger was no slouch. The only time it had a wrench on it was when the winch quit working. I used it pretty hard too, I even dragged food plots with a five-tire drag. My son put a new belt on it and he still uses it, so I take all the Polaris hate with a grain of salt.

RGrizzzz, I would like to know the lowdown on a Ranger EV, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Just so y’all know, I bought a single seat Ranger in 2009 and I sold it to my son in 2018 when I bought my CanAm. I love my CanAm, but that Ranger was no slouch. The only time it had a wrench on it was when the winch quit working. I used it pretty hard too, I even dragged food plots with a five-tire drag. My son put a new belt on it and he still uses it, so I take all the Polaris hate with a grain of salt.

RGrizzzz, I would like to know the lowdown on a Ranger EV, the good, the bad, and the ugly.
So they don't make the original Ranger EV anymore, just the new Kinetic. The EV was a midsize/570 size vehicle. It was very handy and almost silent. They only released them with flooded lead acid batteries, which was dumb as LiFePO4 batteries matured. Watering and changing the FLAs stunk. They weren't easy to get to. It's pretty trivial to install a variety of LiFePO4 batteries. If you are serious about getting one, let me know, and we can talk. I learned way too much to type. They seem easier to find in the south. Prices vary, but good deals can be had if you're a little handy.

So they don't make the original Ranger EV anymore, just the new Kinetic. The EV was a midsize/570 size vehicle. It was very handy and almost silent. They only released them with flooded lead acid batteries, which was dumb as LiFePO4 batteries matured. Watering and changing the FLAs stunk. They weren't easy to get to. It's pretty trivial to install a variety of LiFePO4 batteries. If you are serious about getting one, let me know, and we can talk. I learned way too much to type. They seem easier to find in the south. Prices vary, but good deals can be had if you're a little handy.
I really wanted an electric, but did not want lead/acid because of the issues you mentioned. I was excited when the new Polaris Electric came out. Great performance with LI batteries. Then I saw the price tag! OUCH! That is when I decided to go with the Pioneer 700 Deluxe + an eBike instead.

I really wanted an electric, but did not want lead/acid because of the issues you mentioned. I was excited when the new Polaris Electric came out. Great performance with LI batteries. Then I saw the price tag! OUCH! That is when I decided to go with the Pioneer 700 Deluxe + an eBike instead.
Yeah, they're totally different machines. The new one is a beast. The original probably should have seen some updates sooner to get closer to the new one, but I guess Polaris wasn't ready for that.

Back