Any suggestions for a new turkeygun?

I love Hevi 13 #7’s out of our youth 20 pops with Primos Jelly Head choke tubes. Gotta have a red dot on top to dial them in.

I would seriously buy a Remington 870 youth model and deck it out. I don’t see the need for the big guns any more. The specialty shells have made up the difference and then some.

All kinds of shell and choke combos to play with out of a Remington barrel.

The red dot is the game changer, because it allows you to REALLY get on target. My youth hunters do not miss. We put the birds in their laps with Dave Smith and Dakota decoys.

Vector I don't see the need for big guns either. But we are in Missouri where if you can't get one to 20 yards just move to the next ridge over and kill one there ! We have it pretty good here you must admit.

Vector I don't see the need for big guns either. But we are in Missouri where if you can't get one to 20 yards just move to the next ridge over and kill one there ! We have it pretty good here you must admit.

South Missouri maybe north Missouri they are much harder to find than they used to be. Might have to head south this spring.

South Missouri maybe north Missouri they are much harder to find than they used to be. Might have to head south this spring.

Very true! But, I must say that I had more poults around last summer than I've seen, there is hope.

It seems they are coming back pretty well in north central MO. NOTHING like what it was in the early 2000’s, but that was a crazy time!!

I finally pulled the trigger on a new Remington Model 870 Super Mag Turkey Predator shotgun. This model seemed to fit most of my requirements for a dedicated turkeygun, including camo, short barrel, red dot, etc, all at an affordable price of $519 plus $5 background check, from Zimm's guns in Harrisburg, PA. I've always shot well with the various 870's I'd used before, and the pistol grip seems more comfortable than a traditional stock when scrunched up against a tree on your butt for extended periods of time, especially for a guy with a tight shoulder. Now to pattern some loads. What does anyone know about altering the plug to make three 3 1/2" shells fit?
WP_20180129_19_33_04_Pro (3) ().jpg

What does anyone know about altering the plug to make three 3 1/2" shells fit?
View attachment 11056
The factory plug should allow you 2 shells in the magazine and one in the chamber for your total of 3. Sometimes the round cap at the top of the plug can be removed to get the correct amount of shells in. You just have to mind how much you remove so that you can't squeeze in a 3rd 2 3/4" shell in the mag when dove hunting.

Good luck with your new turkey gun Mennoniteman. This is a very interesting and informative thread. There are sure are some super resources on this forum. And congrats on a great photo also (post 47).

The factory plug should allow you 2 shells in the magazine and one in the chamber for your total of 3. Sometimes the round cap at the top of the plug can be removed to get the correct amount of shells in. You just have to mind how much you remove so that you can't squeeze in a 3rd 2 3/4" shell in the mag when dove hunting.
Somehow I never gave the 3 shell plug a thought until I decided to take my new gun coyote hunting on Saturday and couldn't get three 3 1/2" shells in. Not even close, at least an inch. I'm sure other people must run into the same issue. I guess you're right, I'll just have to saw it off. But I'm guessing that'll make it illegal for 2 3/4"...

Will it hold three 3.5's in the tube with no plug? Probably have to make sure you don't have any 2.75 or 3 with you if you get checked.

Somehow I never gave the 3 shell plug a thought until I decided to take my new gun coyote hunting on Saturday and couldn't get three 3 1/2" shells in. Not even close, at least an inch. I'm sure other people must run into the same issue. I guess you're right, I'll just have to saw it off. But I'm guessing that'll make it illegal for 2 3/4"...
The plug makes it hold 2 in the magazine and one in the chamber, for a total of 3. We sell a Remington plug and it is for all Remington guns, no matter what shell length. It's the only one that Remington offers to us. PA law says you can only have 3 shells total on the firearm when turkey hunting(2 in the magazine tube, 1 in the chamber). You can go to Brownells and they have one that is a cut/break to size and it tells you on the back of the package where to break it, depending on the shotgun.

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-p.../fits-all-shotgun-magazine-plug-prod1232.aspx

Mennoniteman, I agree with what Doc said in the post above.

In other words, I own several 3.5 inch guns, and all of them came with plugs from the factory. It doesn't matter which shell length I try to put into the magazine (2 3/4, 3 or 3.5) - only two shells will go into the magazine when the plug is installed. Of course, you can have another shell in the chamber to bring the total to 3 shells. But only 2 in the magazine with the plug installed.

That's the way it is supposed to work with guns designed for hunting, and it has worked that way with all the turkey hunting guns I have owned.

Best Wishes..............

Last edited:
Just as a side note, Tennessee doesn't have a maximum number of shells for turkey. The plug comes out of my shotgun. The hard part is remembering where I put it come dove season.:D:oops:

Over the years I have hunted turkey with a multitude of different shotguns. I started out at 9 yrs old with a single barrel 12ga Bay state and killed my bird. I have killed with 16ga, 10ga, and I now use my Bennelli SBE2 for everything I hunt with a shotgun. I shoot Federal #4 shot with the standard full choke that came with the gun and open sights. That works best for that gun and me.

I finally pulled the trigger on a new Remington Model 870 Super Mag Turkey Predator shotgun. This model seemed to fit most of my requirements for a dedicated turkeygun, including camo, short barrel, red dot, etc, all at an affordable price of $519 plus $5 background check, from Zimm's guns in Harrisburg, PA. I've always shot well with the various 870's I'd used before, and the pistol grip seems more comfortable than a traditional stock when scrunched up against a tree on your butt for extended periods of time, especially for a guy with a tight shoulder. Now to pattern some loads. What does anyone know about altering the plug to make three 3 1/2" shells fit?
View attachment 11056
Yours must be the newer model. My friend bough one last year and it won't chamber a 3.5" shell. 3" is the max he can shoot (which makes no sense for a dedicated turkey gun). Either way it doesn't matter. Watched him roll one last year at 54 steps using a 3" Winchester XR'S #5. It's a really nice gun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yours must be the newer model. My friend bough one last year and it won't chamber a 3.5" shell. 3" is the max he can shoot (which makes no sense for a dedicated turkey gun). Either way it doesn't matter. Watched him roll one last year at 54 steps using a 3" Winchester XR'S #5. It's a really nice gun

The key word on Mennoniteman's new gun is Super Mag. They are 3.5" guns. If it doesn't say Super Mag, it's only a 3" model.

I'm going to start with Winchester LongbeardXR 3 1/2" #6's, I'll post some results. I shoot most of my gobblers at thirty to forty yards because my favorite setup, I usually set up just back from the military crest of a ridge so that's the distance the birds tend to come into view. Once a bird comes in to sixty yards it'll usually also come to thirty, I've never needed to shoot further than forty, and that's my thought process on #6 shot? By the way, I've just learned the hard way with my first 3 1/2" shell fired off of sandbags with this brand new 7 lb. gun, the gun literally rotated on the pistol grip in my hand and almost totally flew out of my hands; the red dot scope ringed me on my forehead, blood everywhere. Only the second time in forty years of shooting, and I've shot a lot. Note to self: 3 1/2" 12 ga. 1260 fps shells kick like a mule.

Back