2019 Live from the Stand

Getting Caught Up with my "reading".

Ya'll Are having a great time with all the Deer and especially with the Grandkids. The one of my Twins says he's going to Deer Camp with Daddy and Papa. He's only turned 4 now so he has a bit to wait.

Papa can't wait, but also doesn't want to rush to get there, preferring to enjoy the Time I Get with them now before their Grown and Gone.

Sat with my oldest in a ladder for the first time last night. It's an 8 foot stand right off a food plot. Hunt got ruined by some deer dogs running the property. This was after I had to chase our neighbor out of the clear cut where he was quail hunting. Yesterday kinda sucked. Rain this morning so we are limited in stands. Wife and kid are in the condo and I'm in a stand that I haven't sat in 4 years. Built it outa recycled materials. It doesn't look great but keeps the rain off.
e50e756f58ac63eb18300768bf949988.jpg
c8cb4fa47f88e8b0d781db09d8699dc4.jpg
0450e0d95d0a5f49802f1d10e089ea80.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Please explain that contraption on that feeder. Looks cool

Looks like a Drain (feed) Tube into a Holding Tray.

Similar to what I have only I raised the Tray and placed the barrel directly on it.

e5b988458ec60b3b8a71f0ae06631b10.jpg
bbcf5914fa07b55ac31886a93f5e912f.jpg
dd40232c4edcd869fb912c3dd284fbd8.jpg

They have worked perfectly. Although the Coons eat a bunch of corn out of it.

I left a small gap between each board in the tray for rain drainage.

Oh and I have no bears or pigs to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please explain that contraption on that feeder. Looks cool
Gravity feeder using an old WGI feeder that the timer broke. 2 inch pvc to a tray. The tray is about 4 inches off the ground. We have a couple of these. We can only use them away from the swamp or coons will empty it in a night. We like the offset cause it doesn't block the shooting lane.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

No pigs from the Aloha state. I really hate corn feeders, I'd pay triple for one that actually worked.

I don’t know what kind you’re using, but there are lots of them work and work well. If you’re just hunting pigs, use a pig pipe. If you’re not familiar with them, I can tell you how to make one.

I don’t know what kind you’re using, but there are lots of them work and work well. If you’re just hunting pigs, use a pig pipe. If you’re not familiar with them, I can tell you how to make one.

I use the 6.5 gallon Moultrie feeders. I should have known better because this lower unit is a few years old and the electronics don’t hold up in the jungle but...it tested fine. Replaced the lower unit today and hiked in another 50 pounds.

I use the 6.5 gallon Moultrie feeders. I should have known better because this lower unit is a few years old and the electronics don’t hold up in the jungle but...it tested fine. Replaced the lower unit today and hiked in another 50 pounds.

Ah hell, I can see it hanging in the tree now. o_O I’ve been using one to bow hunt called the One and Done. It straps to the tree and is directional. Throws the corn out in a fan shape about 30 feet. So far, it has worked pretty well. I just took it off the tree and put it on my pier today and put catfish food in it. :) It’s a little spendy but built like a tank.

Ah hell, I can see it hanging in the tree now. o_O I’ve been using one to bow hunt called the One and Done. It straps to the tree and is directional. Throws the corn out in a fan shape about 30 feet. So far, it has worked pretty well. I just took it off the tree and put it on my pier today and put catfish food in it. :) It’s a little spendy but built like a tank.

I’ll have to look into that for defensive baiting in NC. I use the cheap stuff in Hawaii.

Season over in 2 days. But new late season primitive weapon 4 day season in 2 wks for deer and bear. So meanwhile , cleaned up my nipple, the one the side hammer. . 100 grains of powder in pouring rain or snow in these requires a little extra precautions. I just love the stuff.
Last year only 23 deer were taken during this extra season w trad bows so I’ve about decided to take another w the recurve instead. Being in the minority is fun. But good to have this ready as backup plan tho.
Enjoy your last hunting days guys. And when you tire of being overwhelmed w all of today’s hunting technology, try some old school. Makes for some fun that high tech can steal. Good luck.
38ad46dd55e00094aa8ae54e58c4e721.jpg

f1ab38955a09f0132bccd5bb9e2722d4.jpg

dogghr...You sound like a kid on Christmas morning in the '60s. I'd had 5.5 hrs sleep already when you posted this. :D Our season ends the Saturday following next Saturday after going continuously since the 3rd Saturday of October for firearms and 2nd Saturday of September for archery. It's a long, long season and by this time of year I'm bout done with hunting. Ready to get back at hacking n squirting a few sweetgums and other non-desirables, removing a few tree tubes and other such stuff.

Best of luck on the late season primitive hunt! I've got guests coming in this weekend with a youngster to snag a doe or two. I'll be in stand one more time with recurve in hand and will see if I can muster the desire to draw back on one should it come within range. The older I get the more I watch em come in and for reasons I can't describe, I just watch...and let em go about their business. Other than one pig, which I connected on at 22 yds, (quite proud of that shot), I've yet to draw back on a deer but had multiple opportunities. But my enjoyment of experiencing time on stand or slipping thru the bottoms still hunting hasn't waned.

Back