Why is my grain so short

jlane35

Throughout 6 different fields all of my rye and triticale is all short. It’s starting to produce seed heads.

Even my crimson clover is shorter and thinner than normal. Is this lack of nutrients or weather related?

Attachments

• DCAAF532-EFEF-449F-8098-03F7B4056F48.jpeg
    DCAAF532-EFEF-449F-8098-03F7B4056F48.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 167C2149-954A-4FEF-B195-F91504D717D3.jpeg
    167C2149-954A-4FEF-B195-F91504D717D3.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 41
  • DDCD53C1-E60F-4EB1-98A8-B7B76B732F9E.jpeg
    DDCD53C1-E60F-4EB1-98A8-B7B76B732F9E.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 39
  • 0E1E77C8-F4DE-409A-B1AA-C9084F7442F8.jpeg
    0E1E77C8-F4DE-409A-B1AA-C9084F7442F8.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 35
Have you had enough rain? Based on your exclusion cage, it looks like deer pressure might be keeping the plants short.
So far this year we have received 11.6 inches.

If it’s browse pressure this is really going to kill my throw and mow process.

The first year I planted rye it was thick and tall. Ever since I can’t get a thick stand.

No-till operations take years to build OM and promote natural nutrient cycling. The underlying fertility of the soil is a factor. Keep in mind that a healthy mix of weeds and your crop is great for deer. Germination rates are lower for T&M but that can be compensated for with seeding rates. Browse pressure and competition from weeds impacts the rate of growth.

All too often, we look at plots in an isolated context. For deer management, we should be looking at our food plots in terms of whether they are meeting our objectives. Those pictures all look like great food plots to me. They look much better than having a monoculture of WR that is so thick and tall that is shades out better deer food.

Why do I like WR for my fall plots and what is it's role in an overall program? WR is a great attractant in the fall. It functions well as a nurse crop for clover. An annual clover like Crimson mixed with WR and a light mix of brassica (PTT or GHR) is a great fall mix here, especially if you plant for a summer stress period. WR is a great early attractant when it is young. Brassica becomes more of an attractant as the season goes on. Here in zone 7A, WR will continue to grow on warm days providing food into early spring. By then, Crimson Clover (which acts as a reseeding annual here) is providing great deer food. WR is of little value to deer at this point. They will hit the heads to some degree if you let it head out. All of these crops are adding great OM to the soil over time.

The only time I would be worried about the thickness of WR is if I planned to use a crimper to terminate it without herbicides for a no-till drill of a summer crop. Here, the purpose of the WR is to smother weeds so herbicides are not needed. I don't have a crimper, so a thick/tall crop of WR is of little value to me. WR has done it's job for me long before it begins to head-out.

Sometime we think our food plots are the main source of food for deer, but they are only a tiny fraction of a deer's diet. From a QDM perspective, the objective is to provide quality food during the peak of a stress period when quality native foods are scarce. If we get through the stress period and there is still quality food left in the field, even a little, the plot has met the QDM objective. During much of the year, at least in my area, there is plenty of quality native foods. It doesn't matter if deer are eat it, or my food plot crops. Either way, they are getting the nutrition they need. My crops only matter, from a QDM perspective, when natural quality foods are scarce.

From an attraction perspective, plots are filling a hunting goal, influencing deer movement. Whether you hunt the plots themselves or the travel routes between bedding and food, or the edge of bedding itself, they are a factor. If deer are using the plots during the hunting period you are targeting, the objective has been met. Keep in mind, the most attractive plots, just don't cut it sometimes. In my area, when acorns fall and we have even light hunting pressure, deer abandon the most attractive food plots during daylight hours.

from the pics I'd guess the culprits could possibly be the deer population being a little too high, the fertilizer and lime rate a little too low, the rye seeding rate a little too light, and the weed competition a little too heavy, or the rainfall a little too light, or a combination of the above. Growing nice crops is never one big thing, it's many small things coming together just right. You might not get the heavy straw for a late summer no-till cover, but like yoder said, the pics appear to show great der food plots none the less.

I guess we need to shoot more deer if we can get the tags. I don’t think 8 acres of grain and clover should look like that. But you guys are right, it’s doing what it’s there for and providing some bonus nutrients.

I guess we need to shoot more deer if we can get the tags. I don’t think 8 acres of grain and clover should look like that. But you guys are right, it’s doing what it’s there for and providing some bonus nutrients.
Your pictures showing the exclusion cage on the side was very profound. The plot is definitely getting heavy usage by deer, and that's definitely one big factor in your question of why the grain isn't taller. However, thicker seems to be a seeding issue.

Next time you’re out there, count the number of tillers (stalks) you have per plant.

I don’t have the info in front of me, but if you have a thin stand, you should have more tillers per plant to compensate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Next time you’re out there, count the number of tillers (stalks) you have per plant.

I don’t have the info in front of me, but if you have a thin stand, you should have more tillers per plant to compensate.

I’ll count how many a few have in my garden and compare next time I’m at our property.

I’ll count how many a few have in my garden and compare next time I’m at our property.

I’ve got a guide at home that shows the range of tillers some grains should have. I’ll see if I have triticale numbers when I get back.

Exclusion cages don’t lie. Hangry deer. And if deer hit they rye hard then it not likely to recover good growth this time of year as it is not long for its self termination. You might up your #/ac next planting. Looks good.

I have to agree with the guys above. The cage pretty well says it all. Even if it gets tall and heads out all that tells you is that the deer stopped eating it once the native browse became a viable alternative. That’s what happens with my wheat each spring. When the heads get ripe, the hogs and deer, mostly the hogs, make short work of them. My cameras confirm that. You can see some clover in this picture, but it wasn’t enough to brag about. 05110103.jpeg

Back