"Whitetail Hollow" - 90 Acres NE Oklahoma.

o_Oo_O
With the cooler weather that has rolled in I had to check the cameras 1 last time before our season opens tomorrow to see where I should be. The cooler temps, albeit very dry, are really making the deer active in daylight right now. We have several other hunters that hunt our boundary's here on the Hollow so if the wind is north I know where I have to be which is right here...

View attachment 3595 View attachment 3596 View attachment 3597 View attachment 3598 View attachment 3599 View attachment 3600 View attachment 3601
Mr. Kubota, please remind me why I am hunting the lease this weekend. :rolleyes:

Practicing with my bow in the backyard and you can definitely tell archery season begins tomorrow...heard 2 different high powered rifle shots at different times on our fence line. One on the east side and one on the west about 15 minutes apart...wonder who won't be showing up on camera anymore :(

Practicing with my bow in the backyard and you can definitely tell archery season begins tomorrow...heard 2 different high powered rifle shots at different times on our fence line. One on the east side and one on the west about 15 minutes apart...wonder who won't be showing up on camera anymore :(
I went out and zeroed my rifles today. Maybe that's all their doing. Getting a very early start on rifle season.

I'll be hunting evenings. Gonna pass tomorrow morning. Most deer movement with bucks is in the early evening.

good luck tomorrow. I think we have hunted the last 2 opening mornings together via texting. Keep me updated my friend.

todd

Boy that is drought conditions for sure. Just terrible. Lets hope those rifle shots were somebody goofing and not one of your bucks on cam.

Heck, i just looked at the drought monitor and saw that i was "abnormally dry".
I knew i had been complaining for a reason. :D

I went out and zeroed my rifles today. Maybe that's all their doing. Getting a very early start on rifle season.

I'll be hunting evenings. Gonna pass tomorrow morning. Most deer movement with bucks is in the early evening.

good luck tomorrow. I think we have hunted the last 2 opening mornings together via texting. Keep me updated my friend.

todd
Comedy of errors. Up early, shower, dress, breakfast. Grab bow and seat cushion. Perfect wind so decide to make the long trek to our north plot all the way down our east side up and down all the finger ridges and creek bottoms and seemed to me I sounded like a herd of buffalo in the loose flint and brush. Made note to come back and cut all the brush back out of my walking lane that had grown up. Came upon a big dead red oak that had fell from neighbors side and broke every strand of the fence...gotta come back and fix that today I am thinking. I get to within 20 feet of stand feeling pretty smug that I hadnt obviously jumped anything on my trek and all of a sudden a big deer jumped up, snorted and sounded like a bull running through the woods and then unseen deer in the plot started blowing and running everywhere :(

I went ahead and climbed into my stand and then pulled my bow up. Got face net and gloves and release on and then was going to get an arrow...wait a minute...where are my arrows! Dohhhhh!!!!

I shoot with quiver off and forgot to put it back on last night!!!!

Down the tree and all the way back up the east side admiring the tree on the fence again as I went by since it is now light enough to see... I get near our house and hear a gunpowder assisted archery equipment (must be a new model) go off in the direction the bull sounding deer ran :( I walk on over to house and run 5 deer out of the yard.

I grab my quiver and decide to try a different stand that I had just placed this year up on the edge of the huge hollow on our west side that is about 300 yards from neighbors house. Easing in to stand area I watch a great buck make his exit right past my stand. I climb stand, turkeys fly down nearby and head toward south plot...only 1 more gunpowder bow has gone off since :(

Boy that is drought conditions for sure. Just terrible. Lets hope those rifle shots were somebody goofing and not one of your bucks on cam.
Heck, i just looked at the drought monitor and saw that i was "abnormally dry".
I knew i had been complaining for a reason. :D
That would be nice on the shots but I am pretty sure they didn't walk that deep into the woods near our fence to check sights just before dark with a single shot apiece in different areas...

Weatherman gave his winter forecast and showed the expanding NOAA drought monitor...told us abnormally warm and dry is what we can look forward to :(

Good luck, sounds like a rough morning, but that tends to happen on the first hunt of the year. Hopefully it turns around for you.
Practice hunt I guess but dang there are some studs running around here in daylight the last few days...I can't hardly hear myself think for all the turkeys right now...

Dang, I was hoping for a different report this morning.

I use to bow hunt within a mile of Oklahoma. I hated when Oklahoma's rifle season started because that was when the road hunters/poachers migrated north. I started wearing orange due to so many shots coming in from the roads...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dang, I was hoping for a different report this morning.

I use to bow hunt within a mile of Oklahoma. I hated when Oklahoma's rifle season started because that was when the road hunters/poachers migrated north. I started wearing orange due to so many shots coming in from the roads...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Me too but 1 thing about it...I have a lot more hunting to do this fall! Last years first morning hunt was screwed up by neighbors dogs...

Who wants to tag out opening day anyway...lol

I've done the same thing with forgetting arrows but I was an hour from the house. I am skipping morning hunts right now. Gonna sneak in early afternoon while the deer are bedding for an evening hunt.

I've done the same thing with forgetting arrows but I was an hour from the house. I am skipping morning hunts right now. Gonna sneak in early afternoon while the deer are bedding for an evening hunt.
Last cruise night of the year tonight in my home town so I am taking the GTO out for one last spin before I mothball it for winter...

Will do a morning hunt on our deer lease in the am and after that I will play the weather for hunts...cool front afternoons when we have them...

Back