"Whitetail Hollow" - 90 Acres NE Oklahoma.

I almost feel guilty that I got a few showers this week Okie. We went 12 weeks by my count with 1/4 in rain. This week the showers and cooler temps have allowed some growth in plots. I over seeded all of them with WR and RC last week to salvage and the little bit of rain did its trick. More rain tonight. I'll try send some your ways. Few weeks ago I youtubed a Native Cherokee rain dance and watched it start to finish even tho my native blood is pretty watered down.. Just saying.

This is bottomland corn that was planted for waterfowl. It's dry here, this pic was taken today!

Pic of the plot on your home 10 is depressing. We had decent rain throughout the summer but man has it turned dry for the past month. Planted this past monday and not much chance of rain in the forecast. Hoping you and a bunch of us get some much needed rain.

With the cooler weather that has rolled in I had to check the cameras 1 last time before our season opens tomorrow to see where I should be. The cooler temps, albeit very dry, are really making the deer active in daylight right now. We have several other hunters that hunt our boundary's here on the Hollow so if the wind is north I know where I have to be which is right here...

002.JPG 007.JPG 009.JPG 024.JPG 106.JPG 131.JPG 147.JPG

050.JPG

Plotwatchers show as many as 11 deer on plots at one time during daylight hours...

Plenty of after dark photos as well...

521.JPG 673.JPG 060.JPG 839.JPG 950.JPG

Went by home 10 yesterday and it was pretty depressing... Plots planted 8/21 with less than 1/2" of rain since that time with temps in the 90's gives you this...

That's just a darn shame, we're really dry as well (right on the line between moderate & severe drought) but not as bad as your pics show. I may have to rent a drill & replant if we get moisture early enough.

My dad used to joke that the weather men showed increased chances to keep everyone positive. But after a period of time that seemed to compound the depression... It'll rain. Hopefully sooner than later...

I have totally given up on the plots on Our Home 10 because with deer season opening tomorrow I simply wouldn't have time to do anything with it...I just hope a little bit of seed didn't get eaten by birds and will germinate when and if rain returns...
Bummer about the red oak. Hopefully it set good buds and will be fine next year. We don't have many left and the ones that are left look terrible.
Oak wilt with these droughts we have had over the past few years has been a huge problem. We bought our 80 in 2014 and when I walk around and see all the huge dead redoaks that would have made the place so much better if they were alive it makes me sick to my stomach...
Glad you are OK after the tractor/tree encounter! Farm equipment, boats and airplanes will try to kill you when you least expect it! We have inherited your drought, I have had about an inch or so right after I planted four weeks ago. Just enough for some germination. Now it is a dust bowl. The turkeys and crows are enjoying the seeds:eek:
The Tractor deal was a wake up call for sure!
I have tallied the rain up and we didn't have any for a couple weeks before I planted on 8/21/16 and all 3 showers since that all together equal about 1/2" of rain. Hope your drought doesn't continue like ours has...

Lookin good!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Thanks catscratch...have you ever noticed guys from Kansas never show any trail cam pics of target deer or post pictures of kills other than what their kids get...I figure it is twofold - to not make everyone else feel bad and to keep outfitters from zoning in...
I almost feel guilty that I got a few showers this week Okie. We went 12 weeks by my count with 1/4 in rain. This week the showers and cooler temps have allowed some growth in plots. I over seeded all of them with WR and RC last week to salvage and the little bit of rain did its trick. More rain tonight. I'll try send some your ways. Few weeks ago I youtubed a Native Cherokee rain dance and watched it start to finish even tho my native blood is pretty watered down.. Just saying.

That is dry for sure dogg - I may have to look for that dance...Thanks!
This is bottomland corn that was planted for waterfowl. It's dry here, this pic was taken today!

That almost 4" you guys got a few days ago would certainly go a long ways toward getting us back up and running. Missouri only shows a slight drought in a very small place in the very top of the state I suppose because of all that rain Kansas shared with you guys. Ours is horrid and NOAA seems to agree..
Pic of the plot on your home 10 is depressing. We had decent rain throughout the summer but man has it turned dry for the past month. Planted this past monday and not much chance of rain in the forecast. Hoping you and a bunch of us get some much needed rain.

Thank you Triple C - at Home 10 we didn't get rain throughout the summer. I recall the property got about 1" back in June... July, August, and September have basically been a bust for rain. Our 80 faired much better and our deer lease did OK even though both of those are pretty dry as well but nothing like Home 10. I am hoping for a 2 day soaker rain like we used to get years ago for all of us...
Dang-you are getting some good daylight pics.

Todd - That picture of the buck and doe at the mineral site is Laid Back 9 - He showed back up night before last and he was really active in daylight yesterday at our place. I have no stand near where that picture was taken because it is one of those places that has deer at it almost 24 hours a day per the camera and getting in and out of it is a problem. Deer show up just before or right at dark and stay until past 10 PM so it would be hard to get down or they show up well before daylight and are there when you would want to try to get into your stand so you would bust them out then too. It's too risky a spot so I set in stands on trails that lead to or away from this spot... I had a plotwatcher video of 4 really good bucks I have never gotten a photo of on our N plot a couple days ago and then yesterday morning a real toad was feeding in our N plot but I don't think I am going to be able to get there for the wind in the morning unless it is doing something other than what they are calling for. I will wait and see...
That's just a darn shame, we're really dry as well (right on the line between moderate & severe drought) but not as bad as your pics show. I may have to rent a drill & replant if we get moisture early enough.

Yes, when you come into the area our Home 10 is in you feel like you are in an area as dry as the surface of the moon. I hope you can salvage your plots because you have a lot of land that will be bare dirt without rain. My plots are really small in comparison and I am pretty sure they could never grow enough at this point to get ahead of the browsing pressure because there is a very high deer density where those plots are...

Last edited:
Kubota, You're an insightful guy ;)

I could post some past stuff for ya if you were inclined to see it.

That would be great...over in your house and habitat thread. My little bitty Oklahoma deer might get scared off by a bunch of Kansas Brute photo's ;)

I used to work with a guy who hunted and enjoyed Oklahoma deer hunting and then he married into a farm in Kansas. After his first year hunting there and killing a real brute of a deer he started really complaining about the deer he was seeing here whereas before he would have been pumped about what he was seeing here. The 2nd year he hunted out there and killed another slob of a deer he came back here and killed a real nice 150" 20" wide 10 point but he kept comparing it to his Kansas deer he got so he got more depressed so the 3rd year he decided he would no longer hunt Oklahoma at all because it "depressed" him too much...:rolleyes: Got so bad that the Big Buck contest started making sure the deer was killed and checked in Oklahoma because they would shoot one in Kansas and drag it down here to clean up in contest prizes...

Hell, I would be thrilled to shoot any of the deer you're posting pics of. Hunting is hunting. If a deer walks by and it makes me happy I take the shot. Antlers only have a part in the happiness equation.

Hell, I would be thrilled to shoot any of the deer you're posting pics of. Hunting is hunting. If a deer walks by and it makes me happy I take the shot. Antlers only have a part in the happiness equation.

Those big antlers up there have real big bodies attached to them as well...I have had some big steaks off a Kansas buck and it was great!

Didn't have time to stop and get a picture but someone ran over a real nice 8 pointer this morning right near where I got the pics of the other 2 roadkilled bucks a couple weeks ago in the "syringe" area...Deer are really moving with the cooler temps right now...

While Missouri doesn't show on the drought map, the fact remains that this area of Missouri is in drought, whether a map depicts it or not. This is Stockton Lake.

These are soybeans yesterday

Most food plots were worked, but grew nothing.
This is a no fail Shumard Oak acorn.

Brushpile I can show you much worse on our own property...I would have done most anything for that near 4" rain you got...dry for sure...

While I almost felt guilty for the 3+ inches, it's gone now. I know that you're situation is worse, but we're in the same drought. I've had drought since Spring, and the lakes and rivers are as low as I've ever seen them.

I don't drive past the lake much because it is mostly outside my travel area but here is a picture of the "river" that is normally flowing strong at this time. This picture was taken September 11th and not 1 drop of rain has fallen here since. This is 1/4 mile from our home 10...

196a2f66d6dd99d2b469da28d5566be1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back