"Whitetail Hollow" - 90 Acres NE Oklahoma.

Ended my buck hunting season at 8:15 AM this morning...he’s not my number 1 from my own property but hunting pressure has gotten so great around my place I bugged out to my deer lease and he was my number 1 down there...
7f207c00c32bdd8f32d985faa3586235.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1894? We have 2 of them. Both handed down from two different sides of the family. Both coveted as deer rifles for first blood as a youngster.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1894? We have 2 of them. Both handed down from two different sides of the family. Both coveted as deer rifles for first blood as a youngster.

Mine are Marlin 336’s. I have 2 of them...my first deer rifle, I bought myself with money I made from selling furs of animals I trapped at the age of 14, was a Marlin 336 set up exactly like the one I use now. I sold or traded it many years ago so a few years back I was in a pawn shop and bought this one and then bought another at a gun show. I look forward to every time I can pull one out of my safe and am sad when they go back in...
Those model 94 Winchesters are great guns and very coveted. Might be a gun to make the full circle like my Marlins have...I remember wanting to trade my Marlin for a bolt .270 because of old writings I read by the late, great, Jack O’Connor. Now I wouldn’t trade them for anything...

Mine are Marlin 336’s. I have 2 of them...my first deer rifle, I bought myself with money I made from selling furs of animals I trapped at the age of 14, was a Marlin 336 set up exactly like the one I use now. I sold or traded it many years ago so a few years back I was in a pawn shop and bought this one and then bought another at a gun show. I look forward to every time I can pull one out of my safe and am sad when they go back in...
Those model 94 Winchesters are great guns and very coveted. Might be a gun to make the full circle like my Marlins have...I remember wanting to trade my Marlin for a bolt .270 because of old writings I read by the late, great, Jack O’Connor. Now I wouldn’t trade them for anything...
Lol, I think we had this exact conversation a couple of yrs ago. I had forgotten about it and asked the exact same thing a couple of days ago and got the exact same answer. It all rings a bell anyway. When I was 14 the first thing I bought with trapping money was a basketball, the 2nd thing I bought was more traps.

Last edited:
I hope my dad will give me his old Marlin lever 30-30 one day. Even though I'm not a big rifle guy, it's one of the slickest little guns I've ever shot. He's had it for decades. Once again, congrats Okie!

My favorite rifle...I own bolt guns, single shots, pumps, and semi autos and I like my lever guns more than any of them...
My grandfather, supposedly, won a Model 94 in a poker game about 70 years ago. It got passed down to my dad and then to me. It's the long barrelled rifle chambered in 38/55. It is heavy but shoots great. It has probably been the demise of at least 30 deer over the years. I can recognize the sound of that gun from a mile away. Wouldn't trade it for anything. My sons are arguing over who gets it next.

Last edited:
I was kind of excited to get a look at the new Ruger manufactured 1895's until I saw the price! I hunted with a 336 in 35 rem this year but didn't find the right deer.

Bittersweet day today...I decided to look around for a few sheds this morning even though the buck pictures pretty much completely stopped right around the end of rifle season which is highly unusual. All of the largest deer ended up being MIA from about middle of rifle season on including the one deer I was after who had actually reached a point where he was smaller racked than the year before due to age. I heard many shots and could hear guys on the propertys north and east talking shooting and then calling out to one another. I finally just gave up on it here and went down to the deer lease and hunted until I got a buck down there.

In 2020 the buck I had been hunting was the largest racked he had ever been and he made it through season and I looked for his sheds but never found them. I actually only found one shed period last year. While looking around today I found 4 sheds and 3 of them were spring of 2021 sheds so we’re a year old and one of them was the single largest antler the buck I had hunted and had a history with for years had ever grown. I had a spring of 2019, and a spring of 2020 shed from him. His G2 is 14.5” and his G3 is 11” and his main beam which I always considered short was 22.5”...I fear him dead now but I take a little solace in the fact this is the largest antler he ever grew while alive because this past fall he looked diminished and then he actually had 6” of main beam broken off in a fight...

This photo is him at his best and the shed is the best he ever grew...

30e8fc67aad61931f22d05a537a65fca.jpg

68180f89a85d120d0ffa7e13f826e645.jpg

Nice! But I worry about your squirrel population that leaves an antler alone for that long!
He lost this antler in a relatively open area of smaller trees so I guess the squirrels just missed it because I found another one in the creek bottom that was pretty well chewed up...

Well I guess time for a monthly post...I haven’t gotten a lot done here but I did get my wife moved back home from South Dakota as she took a new job with the same agency that was a full time work from home position. I did a little dozing and burning here but nothing major. For some reason this year grass is doing well and clover seems to be struggling which is odd. We have had moisture and it has been a cool spring with a few really warm days scattered here and there. I did put in a new gate to the other side of the road where all of our hunting and habitat work is done and I do have 5 potted pear trees to plant.

Turkey season begins this coming weekend and the same turkeys that used our place last spring have come back in the past 2 weeks. The flock consists of 1 Tom and 4 hens with no other toms seen or heard so again I will not shoot the Tom as he is the only one...luckily I did get on the deer lease and back in December when I was last there I saw quite a few turkeys. Oklahoma was booming with turkeys until about 3 years ago and now seems to have gone bust with many areas that traditionally had a lot of birds now having none. They seem to be going to wherever the rabbits, bullfrogs and quail have gone. It is so bad the game department switched the season to open 10 days later than normal and made the entire bag limit statewide to 1 bird.

Normally this time of year I have photos of bachelor groups of bucks growing new antlers and a couple of does but this past fall I guess the great reset happened and now I get single photos of up to 10 does and haven’t had any buck picture at all since January so I am beginning to think other than increased pressure on all my neighbors this past fall which took a huge toll on the mature buck herd I have created a doe factory. We have never killed a doe here on our place since we bought it but will start this coming fall...

e444fcf09f91fd6d4d5a7c470eb7aa43.jpg

6b11305b60b6c8fe5bc983334c965d08.jpg

9815085b3a9e3555db19926d46597c97.jpg

I know it looks like 2 strutting toms in that last photo but 1 is a tree stump. Lol
85be358446f13b4dfd3b4631364f2183.jpg

Last edited:
Back