"Whitetail Hollow" - 90 Acres NE Oklahoma.

By this time in October 2015 both my main target bucks had completely disappeared and I feared them both dead so I started focusing more on our deer lease that is approximately 1500 acres in Southern Cherokee/Northern Sequoyah county. I had picture of this deer the past 2 years...

Attached Images
attachment.php

Some details about the hunt for this deer as I told it last fall...

"Last winter I noticed a buck using the area I hunt on the deer lease that caught my eye. He was the largest buck I got pics of on trail camera down there but I thought he needed one more year... I figured he was about 4.5 and he had a broken G3... We concentrated on hunting Whitetail Hollow and I took 2 great bucks here and the wife took a great rifle buck here as well...

Here is a pic from last winter..."

"When the season began this year we had been so busy working on our housing and everything here on Whitetail Hollow I had not been to our lease in months. I decided to buy some more trail cams to use specifically down there because we have all the rest of them for use on our land here for both trespassing and inventory...

I got a pic a few weeks ago and was extremely happy to see who it was! He was fully mature and rack was intact. I had decided I would hunt this deer to be the 1 mature lease deer I wanted to take this year..."
Attached Images
attachment.php

"I had been getting some pics of some real brutes here on our property but in early bow season they seemed to disperse like the bucks did last year and the does have not moved in yet like they did last year due to the insane bumper crop of acorns. The surrounding properties are covered in acorns as well so after a few bowhunts I decided to go try our lease in the hopes of seeing the buck from my trail cam photo's.

I was sitting with my bow on the 17th of October on our lease high on the ridges in the oak woods and had seen some chasing early and then about 10:00 AM I had a lone doe working her way to me from the south. She was directly behind me. I watched her coming and noticed she was acting very "rutty" by urinating on her hocks and walking with tail at half mast... As I was watching her I noticed a deer following her. Even though the doe got very close he just sat back and observed her. The closest shot I got was a 40 yard walking shot through the brush which I attempted... My arrow arrived behind the buck who had quickly walked away from it. He never even knew I shot and the doe took off and he followed her out of my life... I was very dejected but knew muzzleloader season was starting soon so I decided to come back later and try to make it happen...

This is a picture of the shot from my stand...only opening was just left of the split dark tree under the green branch..."
Attached Images
attachment.php

"Saturday October 23th was opening morning of Muzzleloader season so I decided to hunt here on Whitetail Hollow that morning to watch for trespassers and maybe see a target buck... You can read about my morning with all of the neighbor shots that morning...lots of high powered repeating rifles being used during our muzzleloader season but at least they stayed on their own side of the fence... I decided to just load up and head to the lease for a few days with plans on returning back here to Whitetail Hollow towards the middle of the week knowing I would probably be the only hunter out at that time. Bucks are not chasing here yet but should start anytime...

The hunts I detailed a few pages back happened that Saturday evening and then again Sunday... The weather was not really good until this morning. I went to the same stand I had missed the big deer out of on the 17th and climbed up for the wait...it started off really slow but I heard no shots... about 8:00 am I had a lone doe come in from my south and circle around in front of me and then go down the hill picking up acorns as she went...as I was watching her I looked up and saw my target buck coming from the Northeast moving to my right... The doe was downhill from him and to my left and he couldn't see her. He was trotting and was getting ready to completely leave the area...I did the only thing I could think of and grabbed my grunt call and hit it a few times and he stopped behind a huge dead blowdown with only the tips of his antlers showing. I had my gun up and he was at about 60 yards. When he moved again he came around the blowdown and headed straight toward me grunting the entire way... I fired when he was about 40 yards away. He ran to the north and I watched him stop about 80 yards out and wobble and fall... I was estatic... I waited 10 minutes then started climbing down, while I was climbing down I heard him thrashing again. On the ground I reloaded and headed that way only to find...nothing...

I made a little circle and realized that last little thrash he did was to get the other side of a blowdown... This is the way I found him against the log...

To say I was pleased is an understatement...

Even more special is I got him on my grandson Eli's birthday!"
Attached Images
attachment.php

I'm not exactly sure what the hell a "trophy" is on this forum, but I'm sure you deserve one for transferring 11 pages of info over here!

The buck rub in the pond really cool. And I always love the found Native arrowheads you show.
Thanks dogghr. The tree ended up dying but has come back from root sprouts now...
When I disk in a month or so I hope to find more arrowheads.

I'm not exactly sure what the hell a "trophy" is on this forum, but I'm sure you deserve one for transferring 11 pages of info over here!
Trying to get caught up to speed so I can start posting the new stuff even though it is a greatly condensed version... If the old forum hangs around long enough I am going to try to do a land thread on "Home 10" ;)

This is a picture of how our south plot expansion was filling in by late October with Turnips, Clover, WR and radishes.
Attached Images
attachment.php

I hunted most of the rest of the fall here on Whitetail Hollow with very specific deer I
was targeting but always just seemed to miss being in the right place or would see the deer I was after working it's way through the brush with no shot offered...
I did get a shot at the 8 pointer in the second picture on our very last day of Rifle season but miscalculated a limb and ended up merely scaring the bejesus out of him when the bullet impacted below his legs and showered him with flint rock debris.

The good thing is I every deer and more that I was after actually made it through deer season last fall and if they made it through later poaching season I still have a crack at them!
Some of the deer I was after...

attachment.php

Attached Images
attachment.php

Attached Images
attachment.php

Attached Images
attachment.php

Did have a few other successes last fall like this nice bow turkey from a treestand on November 10th.

22 lbs, 8" beard, 1" spurs and got him just in time for Thanksgiving!
Attached Images
attachment.php

And I was sitting here on Whitetail Hollow one evening when this hog walked in that had already been wounded previously by an arrow...
Attached Images
attachment.php

Just a couple pretty shots from last winter...
attachment.php

Experimentation time...

I have been doing a little experiment over the past few years that I would like to share with you... I find a good branch that hangs out at about shoulder height to me along an area I know deer use and I take a stick and make a scrape under the branch and then urinate in it and put a trail cam on it...
Attached Images
attachment.php

And the coyotes seem to like it as well. I had a coyote chew the excess strap off my camera during this initial setup...
Attached Images
attachment.php

Back